PDA

View Full Version : what should i look for in buying a used maclaren

purple
03-18-2010, 08:11 AM
I'm trying to buy a used Quest, Triumph, or XT off of Craigslist for an upcoming trip. I hope to also use it as my toddler gets older as our primary car stroller. I have one candidate that I may try to pick up in the next couple days. However, I have never actually tested one of these new. Since I don't have a lot of time with the trip coming up, I hope you Maclaren pros can help me out -- What should I look for in the 30 seconds I will get to look over the stroller and test it out before I hand over the cash and put it in my trunk? Brakes, straps, canopy... what's likely to be broken, dirty, etc that I need to focus on? Anything not intuitive that I wouldn't know? Thanks!!

arivecchi
03-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Look at:

1) the fold - have them show you how to fold it

2) the canopy - make sure it extends all the way

3) no rust in the metal parts

4) no tears in the foam in the handles

5) make sure it glides easily and that the wheels run smoothly

6) no tears in the fabric

7) no loose parts

8) included rain canopy (I think it comes with most Macs)

9) travel handle (to throw the Mac over your shoulder if need be)

10) functional brakes

My Mac is still doing great after 3 years of heavy use so I would not expect to find any of these issues, but these are the things I would look for. The fabric can look a bit worn after heavy use, but you can always buy replacement seats and canopies at http://www.maclarenbaby.com/us/content/view/164/88888914/lang,en/.

satchnbucky
03-18-2010, 11:26 AM

FWIW - I bought a new Triumph in the box at BRUS in Nov and it didn't come with a rain cover. Other than that - I go along with anything Arivecchi says about Macs - she's the Macqueen!

arivecchi
03-18-2010, 11:31 AM

FWIW - I bought a new Triumph in the box at BRUS in Nov and it didn't come with a rain cover. Other than that - I go along with anything Arivecchi says about Macs - she's the Macqueen! That's weird! I got my Triumph at BRU too in 2007 and it did come with one.

WatchingThemGrow
03-18-2010, 12:19 PM
wheels also - make sure they are not chunked up

mikeys_mom
03-18-2010, 12:45 PM
In addition to everything mentioned above, I would check that the recline mechanism is functioning properly.

My 5.5 year old Quest is still going strong with no problems. My 6 year old TT that was passed along to me by my sister has had to have two of the four recline mechanisms changed recently. It's not an expensive part to replace if there is a problem. The TT is now good as new :).

purple
03-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Thanks! This is great advice! I am now thinking about possibly going the new from BRU or eBay route because the one good condition CL seller I found seems to be nonresponsive. Hopefully I can find another good one though before I need to pull the trigger. Thank you for this great list!!

satchnbucky
03-18-2010, 09:56 PM
That's weird! I got my Triumph at BRU too in 2007 and it did come with one.

I don't know, I think the one i got is a babies r us exclusive and they cheaped out. It lists for less than the other triumphs to begin with ($160) - even the ebay maclaren outlet lists it new in box without a raincover. Oh well!

arivecchi
03-19-2010, 10:56 AM
I don't know, I think the one i got is a babies r us exclusive and they cheaped out. It lists for less than the other triumphs to begin with ($160) - even the ebay maclaren outlet lists it new in box without a raincover. Oh well! Interesting. Maybe they don't include raincovers with Triumphs now then?

coolae
03-19-2010, 11:38 AM
i got a new in box quest w/o a raincover as well! a 2008...?