PDA

View Full Version : 4 yr old growth spurt? All DD wants to do is eat!

catpagmo
03-18-2010, 02:35 PM
OMGosh! Is there a major growth spurt at 4 years old or something? DD is eating so much, and all.day.long. I'm trying to go with it, but it kind of seems like she's eating because she's bored. However, yesterday, she was playing with some neighborhood kids, and asked them for something to eat! I about died.

Anyone else gone through this?

DrSally
03-18-2010, 02:43 PM
DS went through this awhile ago (last summer maybe). It was shocking to me too and I thought something was wrong maybe (like eating for non hunger reasons, boredom, whatever), but it quickly passed. It was totally a growth spurt. I say go with it!

catpagmo
03-18-2010, 02:49 PM
DS went through this awhile ago (last summer maybe). It was shocking to me too and I thought something was wrong maybe (like eating for non hunger reasons, boredom, whatever), but it quickly passed. It was totally a growth spurt. I say go with it!

Do you remember how long it lasted? This has been going for about 2 weeks now.

wencit
03-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Oh my gosh, DS1 is going through the same thing! He's about to turn 4 at the end of this month. I thought it was because we were staying at my parents' place for a couple of weeks and my mom was feeding him really well. He's even eating stuff that he never would have touched before. All I have to say is that I'm loving that my previously living-on-air boy is now eating so well!

boolady
03-18-2010, 02:55 PM
This might not be helpful, because DD is only almost 3.5, but I keep telling myself that she must be about to have a big growth spurt because she is suddenly starving and eating probably double the quantity of food at meals than she was a few weeks ago. Her eating habits have totally changed, too. She used to eat a tiny breakfast, then eat what I considered an appropriate amount for lunch and for dinner with small a.m. snack and small p.m. snack (very small). Now? Large breakfast, usually no snack in the a.m., at least when she's home, not a very big lunch, and a large dinner. An hour after dinner, she tells me she's hungry again.

She's a healthy eater, so I'm not really worrying, but twice this week, she's brought notes home from daycare/preschool saying that she ate her entire lunch and was still hungry, so her teacher gave her some raisins or celery sticks. Before, she usually wouldn't even eat her entire lunch.

DrSally
03-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Do you remember how long it lasted? This has been going for about 2 weeks now.

Hmmm, maybe 3-4 days. But, it was like non-stop eating. I posted here and the other mom's were very reassuring it was a growth spurt. I think it varies how long they last, and it always feels better (for mom) when it's over.

HIU8
03-18-2010, 03:34 PM
DS just went through a HUGE growth spurt. He ate like a pig at every meal for about 4 weeks. Suddenly it has dropped off--DONE. DS is 5 and a winter growth spurt is odd for him (his usually are late summer early fall). So we have had 2 since early fall this year.

catpagmo
03-18-2010, 04:19 PM
I guess I'll just wait and see how long it goes for. Thanks everyone!