PDA

View Full Version : s/o: So what is your SO's educational background

AnnieW625
03-18-2010, 06:48 PM
DH has a BS in mechanical engineering, he hasn't really thought much about grad school for engineering, but might consider law school in the future.

smiles33
03-18-2010, 06:53 PM
DH is an orthodontist. I'm curious how many wives are more educated than their DHs, as studies show a huge increase in women getting advanced degrees but not so many men....Law schools are increasingly majority women. My own class had slightly more women than men.

crl
03-18-2010, 06:54 PM
He has a BA in English and a JD. (So essentially just what I have, a useless undergrad degree followed by law school. Although my JD predates his by about 5 years.)

Catherine

Clarity
03-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Dh has a Ph.D. in a liberal arts field.

citymama
03-18-2010, 07:00 PM
DH and I both have advanced graduate degrees. But I got mine years before he did!

g-mama
03-18-2010, 07:11 PM
My dh has his JD.

happymomma
03-18-2010, 07:12 PM
DH has a JD degree and also a Masters in Taxation degree.

jenmcadams
03-18-2010, 07:28 PM
PhD in Physics

elliput
03-18-2010, 07:44 PM
DH has a BS in BS. :rotflmao: That's Behavioral Sciences, which from his alma mater is an engineering degree. :shrug: He did take some graduate level courses, but hasn't done anything with them since before we met.

Toba
03-18-2010, 07:46 PM
MBA by the end of next year (with a 4.0 GPA, as of right now) doing it part time while working full time. I haven't finished even my Associates Degree (I had to quit while we were TTC for EIGHT years ... UGH!), but plan to go back at some point, hopefully.

ETA: DH keeps saying he's going to get his PhD after the MBA, JUST so that he can make his many, many cousins call him Dr. XX. LOL Me, I'm just praying he'll stop after the MBA ... it's a huge strain on all of us, especially him. He likes to take advanced calculus classes for FUN ... weirdo. I think the MBA will open so many doors for him, so I vote to stop there.

ourbabygirl
03-18-2010, 07:46 PM
DH finished his MBA last winter, a few months after DD was born (phew!). I got my MA about 5 years ago. Glad we're both done with that part of our lives (although he occasionally mentions getting his doctorate in something....)!

pinkmomagain
03-18-2010, 07:57 PM
We met getting our MBAs.

HIU8
03-18-2010, 07:59 PM
I have an MA. DH has a BA. He has always had a better/higher paying job than me though.

mommylamb
03-18-2010, 08:12 PM
DH has a MS in History of International Relations. I have an MS in public Policy. We met in grad school.

WatchingThemGrow
03-18-2010, 08:12 PM
DH has his MA, and he would go back to school in a heartbeat. He loves learning.

pb&j
03-18-2010, 08:15 PM
DH has a Bachelor's degree... and I have 2 Masters. He's super smart, he just doesn't groove on school the way I do. :)

jenmcadams
03-18-2010, 08:27 PM
We met getting our MBAs.

:)

I went to more weddings of my MBA classmates in those first few years after BSchool...I think this is pretty common

vludmilla
03-18-2010, 08:43 PM
He has a BA, MA, and is also completing a dissertation for a PhD

DrSally
03-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Mba..........

hellokitty
03-18-2010, 08:48 PM
DH is like me and also has two BS degrees.

mctlaw
03-18-2010, 08:51 PM
DH has an MS.

cvanbrunt
03-18-2010, 09:07 PM
We met in grad school. His PhD is in Clinical Psychology while mine's Experimental.

Sweetum
03-18-2010, 09:16 PM
DH has a BS in mech engineering, then an MS in mech engineering, then got an MS in computer science & engineering, and then an MBA...phew!

maestramommy
03-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Dh has a PhD in Electrical Engineering.

ett
03-18-2010, 09:57 PM
DH has a PhD in Chemical Engineering and an MS in Computer Science. But he got his MS after his PhD and it's the MS degree that got him the job.

MontrealMum
03-18-2010, 10:08 PM
DH is an orthodontist. I'm curious how many wives are more educated than their DHs, as studies show a huge increase in women getting advanced degrees but not so many men....Law schools are increasingly majority women. My own class had slightly more women than men.

That would be us. DH has a B.Sc. in Geology with some Master's level coursework (no degree) and various IT certs. I have two more degrees than he does, soon to be 3. All at the graduate level.

KrisM
03-18-2010, 10:19 PM
We have the same degrees. Well, I have an additional BS in Metallurgical Engineering.

He and I have BS and MS in Mechanical Engineering. We both did our Master's work in NVH (noise vibration and harshness) and we worked together in the same group for a few years.

Happy 2B mommy
03-18-2010, 11:22 PM
Dh has a BS in Civil Engineering and MS in Geotechnical Engineering. He's thinking an MBA will be in his future.

gatorsmom
03-19-2010, 12:11 AM
DH has a BS in Meteorology yet he still can't tell the difference between a Storm Warning and a Storm Watch. :ROTFLMAO: Actually, he didn't go into Meteorology at all. He went into business but it's a fun ice breaker in some of his stuffy business meetings he has to go to.

mom2ethan
03-19-2010, 12:31 AM
DH has a Ph.D. in Chemistry too. We met in graduate school.

essnce629
03-19-2010, 12:37 AM
DBF has a BA in journalism, and just graduated from law school last May.

liamsmom
03-19-2010, 01:10 AM
My DH just has his HS diploma. He's really bright and has been in the computer programming field since he was 19 years old. I joke had he not been such a slacker, he'd be working for NASA now. I'm working on my MS currently, but I know I will always make much less money than he does.

ellies mom
03-19-2010, 02:41 AM
My husband has an Associates in Electronics which is the same degreee I currently have (his is in commincations, mine is in digital systems). But I'm in school to get a two year RN degree and will be going on to get my Bachelors and possibly a Masters. Once I'm through with this new degree, I'd like him to go back to school for a bachelors in something but I don't know if he really wants to.

klwa
03-19-2010, 06:27 AM
DH has a BS in Civil Engineering & an MS in Computer Science.

MoJo
03-19-2010, 06:33 AM
I was more educated when we met/dated/got engaged. I had my BA and he was still working on his, because he went into the Navy instead of going to college right out of high school.

Now he has his M. Ed. and I never went back to school.

KHF
03-19-2010, 07:26 AM
ETA: DH keeps saying he's going to get his PhD after the MBA, JUST so that he can make his many, many cousins call him Dr. XX. LOL Me, I'm just praying he'll stop after the MBA ... it's a huge strain on all of us, especially him. He likes to take advanced calculus classes for FUN ... weirdo. I think the MBA will open so many doors for him, so I vote to stop there.

My dad got his Masters in Mathematics right around the time I was born. He was working for the National Security Agency, so they were paying for everything. When he got done, he asked my mom how "Dr. Dugger" sounded...she asked him how "Divorced Dugger" sounded. And that was the end of my dad's brief flirtation with a PhD :)

My DH has an associates and is about 12 credit hours away from completing his bachelor's. He's been in school for what seems like forever. I'm *hoping* he finishes sometime next year.

MelissaTC
03-19-2010, 07:45 AM
DH has a BS and a MS in electrical engineering. He has kicked around getting a PhD but doesn't feel like it would do much career wise at this point.

I only have a BA and am considering going back for a MA. Just not sure in what!

lchang25000
03-19-2010, 08:46 AM
DH is an MD: cardiac electrophysiologist

MaiseyDog
03-19-2010, 10:10 AM
DH and I have the same degrees. BS in Pharmaceutical Sciences and then Pharm.D. He was in the class ahead of me in pharmacy school. We also did our residencies in the same place, although he did a general residency focusing on psych and I did an Ambulatory Care specialty residency.

lowrioh
03-19-2010, 10:31 AM
DH has 2 MA in Social Sciences and a MA in International Studies. He is talking about going back to school to get his MSW next year.

GaPeach_in_Ca
03-19-2010, 12:12 PM
We're, like, the same person.

BS Computer Engineering
MS Electrical Engineering

We met in grad school at UC Berkeley

catpagmo
03-19-2010, 01:05 PM
My DH has a BS.

ewpmsw
03-19-2010, 01:35 PM
DH would be much happier as a student than worker. He has a JD and is halfway home to MBA. After that, who knows?

moonsky
03-19-2010, 01:56 PM
Dh is an MD. He has spent years in training and still in one. It might sound weird but I was really attracted to MD, perhaps because my dad is one. Majorities of guys I dated were either MD or dentists.

michellerw
03-19-2010, 05:51 PM
PhD in Semitic Literatures and Languages

smilequeen
03-19-2010, 08:03 PM
DH is a DDS. We went to school together.

He keeps toying with the idea of getting an MBA (as he is also the VP at a big dental company and he thinks it would be useful). In what free time he would get said MBA I have no idea.

randomkid
03-19-2010, 08:18 PM
DH has an MS. I have a BA in Psychology and a BHS (Bachelor of Health Science) in Physical Therapy.

Kymberley
03-19-2010, 08:31 PM
DH is a pharmicist (PharmD) with a Masters in Public Administration (MPA). He was going for his MD, but decided that he'd had enough of school.

jenfromnj
03-19-2010, 09:29 PM
We met in law school (well sort of, we were both there at the same time but met after DH graduated through a mutual friend).

tarahsolazy
03-19-2010, 10:20 PM
DH has an MD, although he's a SAHD these days.

I have an MD and an MPH, which I got after the MD.

Jenn27
03-19-2010, 10:28 PM
DH has an BA in Graphic Design. He'd like to get an MA in web design at some point. I have a BS in Biological Sciences and plan to get an MA Education before returning to work in a few years.

shilo
03-20-2010, 03:16 AM
you're missing a category :) - 'some college', no degree.

my DH is a college drop out ;). he was recruited out and decided to leave undergrad in his junior year and went to work in the computer industry - and makes 3-4x/yr with a lot more job security, than what i ever would/have with dual master's in my field - life is so unfair sometimes ;).

he's not that unusual in the coding world, it's one of the last true meritocracies in the 'real world' we all have to grow up and get jobs in, i think. essentially, it's 'put up or shut up' - you have the leet skills or you don't - a degree might get your foot in the door to your first job in a down economy, but otherwise a degree can actually sometimes be a negative stigma amongst an oddly exclusive or 'elite' group of coders in a given organization. they say 'all good programmers will tell you a CS degree doesn't mean squat if you don't *think* like a programmer - but getting one can be a fun social experiment if you like beer' LOL. and he's just never been one for formal education the way i am.

FWIW, i also think that may be where at least part of the underpinnings to the differentiation between nerds (like me) and geeks (like DH) lie ;)