PDA

View Full Version : What age for shopping seat cover?

purple
03-18-2010, 07:53 PM
I kept intending to get one of these but somehow we made it to 14 months without one. They still look handy, but are they more for infants than toddlers, or more for toddlers than infants? My LO mouths everything, so I will be worrying about cleanliness for a long time but do they work just as well when kids are bigger?

Also -- I did a search and its been a while since people talked about their favorite sources for a well made cover. Any new suggestions? I know that the top rated one in the BB book was later found to be disreputable in not fulfilling orders properly (can't recall the name).

sunshine873
03-18-2010, 09:56 PM
I bought mine on Etsy & love it. There are a bunch on there, but here's the seller I bought from:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/tinderdesigns?section_id=5551474

I started using it once DD could sit up on her own, but it really started getting useful right around a year old. I live in an area where people are filthy, so I feel much better about having a barrier between DD & shopping carts & high chairs. But...I've forgotten it at times too.

It's not a necessity, but I've enjoyed having mine. DD is 13 months old, and I think we'll still be using it for quite some time.

Melanie
03-18-2010, 10:10 PM
I think my son was three when I finally bought one! It was during a particularly nasty flu-scare winter. I still use it with my 4 yo b/c of the same - germs.

I'd get one that comes with it's own belt b/c you know they will touch that, too! Of course now I don't use the belt.

MoJo
03-19-2010, 06:53 AM
I bought the Eddie Bauer one at Target, and I love it. . . in fact, I got one for each car, so if DH takes my car, I can still take DD out.

My DD is 21 months, and I could see using this as long as she is sitting in the shopping cart seat.

I love the buckle/harness. They say you shouldn't count on that to hold your child in. . . but for me, if she's in a cart without a cover, she's always trying to stand up, and if she's in a cart with the cover, she doesn't try. That alone is worth it to me!

PMJ
04-30-2010, 12:31 AM
[QUOTE=MoJo;2665353]I bought the Eddie Bauer one at Target, and I love it. . . in fact, I got one for each car, so if DH takes my car, I can still take DD out.

:yeahthat:

I just bought the EB one too from Target (pink/brown) and it seems to be ok. My DD is a littlel petite, so it kind of swallows her, but I'm guessing it will fit better when she gets better.

lhafer
04-30-2010, 06:13 AM
I used a floppy seat with my first forever. Used it in th store, restaurants, etc. I will be needing a new seat cover for my second, since after a few moves, I can't seem to find my old floppy seat!!

I was looking at the balboa ones. I have one of their pouch slings and really really like it. The quality is great. Wondering if anyone has experience with it? I haven't started researching these yet, as my daughter is only 9 weeks old. http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/184-6880685-5424314?asin=B002VXQ4Q8&AFID=Froogle_df&LNM=|B002VXQ4Q8&CPNG=health%20beauty&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

But to the OP, I used the floppy seat for several years. It was kind of bulky, but it washed well, and fit on every seat I put it on.

arivecchi
04-30-2010, 11:44 AM
My 15 mo son still uses ours a ton. We have this one and LOVE it:

http://www.amazon.com/Buggy-Bagg-Black-Shopping-Diaper/dp/B000V5FW2U

Tanya
05-02-2010, 03:16 PM
I bought one online (I don't think the person makes them anymore) years ago. For my first daughter, I used it from the time she could sit up until she was 18 months old when she decided to walk or she became obsessed with car carts. For my younger daughter, I used it off and on, mostly when she was a baby in germ season. Mine had its own strap that I threaded threw the back of the cart seat and then back through the hole in the cover. I was able to do it all one handed while holding a baby.
For that etsy cover posted though, I'm intrigued by the idea of the clip and maybe I'll add that to my cover (or I'll make a new cover if I have a boy or two).

newg
05-02-2010, 10:21 PM
DD is 26 months and I use it everyday. It keeps both of us clean!! Now that she's older, she loves putting her water cup in one pocket and her snack cup in the other. She flops all over the place in the carseat and I have no worries.
I bought mine off of babycenter when they had a store, but I think this is it at Diapers.com now:
http://www.diapers.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?productId=17436

I didn't shop around that much before I bought it so I can't compare it to any others out there. It fits Target/Lowes and the grocery store shopping carts perfectly. Its a little big for Michales and JoAnn Fabric carts and a little small for Costco carts (but what cover wouldn't be!)

neeleymartin
05-02-2010, 10:26 PM
i bought this one on etsy

http://www.etsy.com/shop/PaisleyPineapple?section_id=6123769

i liked it esp b/c it can fit on over-sized carts as well as regular ones. i have been using a cart cover for months and this one i just bought recently. it is elasticized all the way around and easy to put on with one hand. super cute to boot.

i plan to use it for a while more. i don't think it's too late to buy one.

hth

happymom
05-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Another shout-out for the Eddie Bauer one from Target. Its inexpensive and does the job well. I especially like that it has a harness so I dont have to thread the germy harness from the cart through the cover. Its also helpful to not have to search for a cart with a working harness KWIM?

I don't remember when I bought mine...probably when DD was about 10 months old and was found mouthing the handle of the cart in a gross store!:barf: I used it all the time until she was about a year or so. I still use it from time to time, and every time I do, I wonder why I dont use it more...

All that to say, its not too late to buy one! LOL

scrooks
05-03-2010, 01:26 PM
We have an infantino one from walmart. It was about $25 and is worth every penny. It covers all surfaces and even fits on the double cars at Sams (only 1 set of foot holes though). We still use it often in DD and she is almost 3! Of any baby item I have purchased its the one I get the most comments on in store...especially older ladies say they wished they had it for their kids.

2boysandagirl
05-21-2010, 05:40 PM
I love my Itzy Ritzy cart / highchair cover. Reversible and padded. I get so many compliments and it fits the big club store carts