PDA

View Full Version : Mac hinge covers annoying me

hellokitty
03-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Are they bugging anyone else? I swear I put them on correctly according to the directions, BUT I am finding it VERY difficult to get my mac to latch closed with these new hinge covers on. Am I supposed to unzip them or something when I fold down the stroller. What am I doing wrong?

WatchingThemGrow
03-18-2010, 09:20 PM
YES! I hate bending down to move the cover over so it latches. Do the 2010s have the same thing? If they don't, I may order the green one. DH has already said he wants it, lol. Yes, I'm married to a strollerdude.

lvhkitty
03-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Definitely requires more effort to make sure they are out of the way to latch the stroller. I just got my 2010 Maclaren Triumph and folding it is more difficult. It's really tempting to remove the one side that locks.... My 8 month old isn't going to close it on her own.

hellokitty
03-18-2010, 10:13 PM
My mac is old, a techno, from 2002. I got it before I even got pg with DS1. I love that stroller, but the stupid hinge cover is making me hate it, b/c I cannot fold the stroller down one handed. I was really looking forward to using it again with DS3 (after DS2, I basically used my P&T E3 exclusively). So, I started using it this wk and I loathe my stroller now. :( Maybe I will remove the cover on the latch side, it seems to me like they made the cover bulkier than they really had to.

SnuggleBuggles
03-18-2010, 10:21 PM
:bag I haven't even ordered mine yet. I never let him near the stroller during folding and unfolding so I'm not sure what to do if they are that big of a hassle. But, safety is important, I guess.

Beth

Snow mom
03-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Yes, folding with hinge covers = super annoying.

hellokitty
03-18-2010, 10:31 PM
Yeah, my kids are usually all buckled up in their carseats before I fold my strollers down. Right now I'm having a hard time, b/c DS3 is still young enough that sometimes I need to nurse him in the car, so I am holding him with one arm while trying to break down the stroller with the other and then putting it into the trunk of my minivan. It's a total PITA. I wish they would have made the covers out of a thinner fabric, like nylon.

jmama3
03-18-2010, 11:09 PM
i was just going to write on the hinge covers. you didn't install them wrong. it sounds like everyone is having difficulty including yours truly. it's very very snug.

i did go to the mall today and was observing all the macs, esp. the hinge part. i would say 50 had them on. interesting.

sariana
03-19-2010, 12:02 AM
I haven't even ordered mine yet. I never let him near the stroller during folding and unfolding so I'm not sure what to do if they are that big of a hassle. But, safety is important, I guess.

I ordered them, but they are still sitting on the desk in the den. So double :bag:bag for me.

I also do not have my DC near the stroller when I am folding/unfolding it. And any time anyone else has used the stroller, it has remained unfolded the entire time.

elektra
03-19-2010, 12:05 AM
I ordered them, but they are still sitting on the desk in the den. So double :bag:bag for me.

I also do not have my DC near the stroller when I am folding/unfolding it. And any time anyone else has used the stroller, it has remained unfolded the entire time.

:yeahthat: except mine are in the garage (I think).

liamsmom
03-19-2010, 12:52 AM
I may order the green one. DH has already said he wants it, lol. Yes, I'm married to a strollerdude.

You're so lucky! I'm jealous. :D

DebbieJ
03-19-2010, 10:16 AM

I think mine are in the garage too. I probably won't use them but figured I'd get them in case I ever sell the stroller.

arivecchi
03-19-2010, 10:20 AM
I ordered mine and they are somewhere in the house. LOL. I just wanted them in the event I ever sell my Triumph. I make sure my kids are not around when I fold/unfold. ;)

lorinick
03-19-2010, 10:21 AM
YES! I hate bending down to move the cover over so it latches. Do the 2010s have the same thing? If they don't, I may order the green one. DH has already said he wants it, lol. Yes, I'm married to a strollerdude.

Yes the new ones have them as well. It's very annoying. I think it's crazy that my expensive stroller has to have a cover that doesn't match and is hard to close when in place. The new models match. But you still have to move the cover to close. Using my Mini more these days.

AnnieW625
03-19-2010, 11:20 AM
I never got one for my Triumph so glad to hear I am not missing much:) DD is always in her carseat before I fold the stroller so pinched fingers have never been an issue for us.

ellies mom
03-20-2010, 02:26 AM
I think mine are in the garage too. I probably won't use them but figured I'd get them in case I ever sell the stroller.

That's the only reason I ordered them, except I don't remember where I put them.

I have no intention of using them, not even to avoid a "mommy drive-by".

hellokitty
03-20-2010, 09:19 AM
I think that I am going to remove the one on the side where the latch is ladies. Thanks! I wasn't going to use mine either, but someone here posted afterwards that she DID almost get her caught. That's why I put mine on. However, quite honestly, like several have mentioned, my kids aren't usually around when I fold down the stroller. So, I guess if anyone is going to get hurt, it would be me.

WatchingThemGrow
03-20-2010, 10:20 AM
I wonder if just flipping the cover OUT would make it not get stuck on the latch? Something to try later...

JamiMac
03-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Ok, I was feeling bad because I haven't put mine on yet...and didn't really intend to. My kids are almost always in the car when the stroller is put up. Honestly, I'd be more scared of the P&T you have. That one almost got me once!

strollerqueen
03-21-2010, 01:47 AM
I talked to a friend of mine in NYC yesterday, and he said there were Macs everywhere, but almost none had the hinge covers on. I don't know if Mac should be happy about that, because maybe they weren't really necessary, or sad that they spent so much money making them/sending them out.

arivecchi
03-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Most people do not have them here either SQ (Chicago). I think the cost of the hinges/shipping is still way less than the potential cost of lawsuits had they not done the recall, so probably still a good move for them. Now my question is, how come the other umbrella stroller companies do not do the same?

Multimama
03-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Now my question is, how come the other umbrella stroller companies do not do the same?

Britax did a recall on the Blink and issued hinge covers that look just like the Maclaren ones. They presumably also did it to avoid lawsuits since no one had actually been injured by a Blink yet.

Melanie
03-21-2010, 12:13 PM
I ordered mine and they are somewhere in the house. LOL. I just wanted them in the event I ever sell my Triumph. I make sure my kids are not around when I fold/unfold. ;)

I was thinking of getting them for the same reason, and just stashing them away until then.

strollerqueen
03-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Most people do not have them here either SQ (Chicago). I think the cost of the hinges/shipping is still way less than the potential cost of lawsuits had they not done the recall, so probably still a good move for them. Now my question is, how come the other umbrella stroller companies do not do the same?

So the recall is an adequate legal defense then? Not sure about why all the other companies aren't doing it...I know Cybex also issued a recall, but I am not sure what they did as a solution. And then Britax, as the PP mentioned. Personally, what I find really dangerous are the cheapie umbrella strollers. I nearly amputated my finger in one years ago. My DD wanted a cute Spongebob one to use for her dolls, and I figured it would be safe enough. WRONG! Those things are just horrible. Most actual doll strollers are way better made.

jmama3
03-21-2010, 03:04 PM
companies have to protect themselves (and their customers!!). once anyone gets hurt they will include it in their fineprint or send out a remedy and then they aren't liable anymore since they notified/rectified the issue. with drugs they have to list every side-effect (even though it has only happened to one person thus far) so with those you will read in the fineprint/hear in the commercials paralysis, death, stroke...scary stuff. but it's happened to someone so legally they have to let you know of the risks, even if it's one in a million.

i keep the baby away from anything that folds. many years ago a mom was on her treadmill while the baby was crawling around. the baby got burns or got her hand stuck and the mom sued (don't know the details). crazy. the mom should have had the baby in a carrier or had a gate around the treadmill.

just be a few steps ahead of the kids.

arivecchi
03-21-2010, 03:13 PM
I'm sure it helps a lot to show they took pro-active measures to remove the "danger".

jmama3
03-21-2010, 03:23 PM
i have to agree with most i have my covers. they are not on the mac though(!!!). out and about i would say here in chicago about 50% of the macs have them.

jmama3
03-21-2010, 03:38 PM
oh i forgot. i nearly took my toes off when i stuck them in the metal part of the umbrella stroller to fold it up. good thing i had sneakers and quick reflexes. i've also hurt my fingers and hands when putting together or taking apart the children's toys. parents please beware as well!! it's difficult enough cooking, cleaning, juggling all the things we do but when you hurt yourself it's so worse. for 3 weeks i couldn't bend my thumb and pointer. cooking was hard but i used my other hand. i had to do my daughter's hair for gymnastics and it was sooo painful.

ssand23
03-25-2010, 07:13 AM
I don't have mine on. My son is 2 months old. He can bearly get his hand in his mouth let alone touch the side of the stroller. My girls are much older (7 yrs & up) so they know to stay away.

EXPECTINGMAY
04-25-2010, 11:59 PM
I hate them!! I don't even use my Quest anymore b/c I feel like I have to body slam it to get it closed. I don't love the stroller to begin with.

strollerqueen
04-26-2010, 12:36 AM
Why don't you like it?

mama2zoe
05-01-2010, 12:31 AM
I might be getting a Maclaren Triumph and I've seen some '08's, '09's and '10's. Of course the earlier ones are cheaper, but I also like the girls colors in '08 and '09... If I were to get them, do I really need to use the hinge covers as long as I keep my DC away, like I would usually do? Do the '10's just come with covers, so they're all the same?

And a question related to looks... are all the hinge covers black or do they come in the colors of the strollers? I'm thinking of '08 coffee brown pink or '09 raspberry? I'm thinking the hinge covers are black and wouldn't look so great with the coffee brown pink.

TIA for any info!

strollerqueen
05-01-2010, 02:03 AM
I recently got a 2010 racing green Triumph, and the hinge covers are racing green. I have other older Macs, but I haven't bothered putting hinge covers on them. It is really not an issue to me. When I close doors or drawers, I make sure I am not closing them on my baby's fingers. When I close strollers, I make sure I am not closing them on my baby's fingers. End of story.

satchnbucky
05-01-2010, 08:27 AM
I have the '09 triumph coffee/blue. It has the covers on it (mainly because they were on it in the box and I never bothered to take them off and they really haven't caused me any trouble). They are black, but I don't really notice them (besides, I also have the black organizer hanging off the back). If I ever had the time and wasn't afraid I'd lose them somewhere, I'd probably take them off though - I never close the stroller with my baby anywhere near the hinges (duh)...

smcdonald2
05-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Speaking of "info drive-bys," it's funny how dangerous a little information can be. I have a very nice infant/kids consignment store in town that's selling all their Macs at rock bottom prices ($20 for clean, 1-2yr old Triumphs, $50 for doubles) because "You have to send off for a special hinge cover, because thousands of people have lost fingers in them." LOL!

scrooks
05-01-2010, 10:54 AM

:bag Same here.....got them but they aren't on yet!

EXPECTINGMAY
05-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Why don't you like it?

Too tippy, doesn't recline enough, small canopy and to top it off the one handed fold is a thing of the past w/the hinge covers