PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like chickenpox?

tmarie
03-18-2010, 09:44 PM
My dd#2 is 21mo. She is up to date on all of her vaccines. Yesterday I got a call from school saying that although she was acting fine, they wanted me to know that she had some red dots on her chest. She did have some pink spots (mostly very small, some a little bigger with uneven edges, almost exclusively on her trunk). But I wasn't too concerned because we have fair skin and dd#1 has used to get rashes every so often with the onset of a virus. Well...today they called again because it seemed worse. But again, she was acting fine, no fever, didn't seem to be itching. Tonight I noticed that some of the bigger spots are a little raised and look like a small pimple. The spots are still mostly on her trunk, now spreading a little to her neck, arms and two on her legs. And I realized she has been very hard to settle down and get to sleep the last three nights. Could this sound like the onset of CP? Do CP always get HUGE? These have gotten bigger and sort of spread out, but they just don't look like big pocks yet. I thought the vaccines was going to protect us from CP. I never hear of anyone having it anymore!?

tmarie

mamica
03-18-2010, 09:50 PM
I'm not sure, but I do know that if CP is contracted even after receiving the vaccine they do look different from the "traditional" chicken pox that we had growing up before the vaccine came out. I would have a dr look at it.

tmarie
03-18-2010, 09:55 PM
I'm not sure, but I do know that if CP is contracted even after receiving the vaccine they do look different from the "traditional" chicken pox that we had growing up before the vaccine came out. I would have a dr look at it.

I had no idea! Thank you! Wonder if anyone knows how they look different?

tmarie

JBaxter
03-18-2010, 09:58 PM
Not always. Both of my older boys had chicken pox about 3 yrs after their vaccine. One had 6 spots one had a WHOPPING traditional case. You can have her checked by the ped. If they concur it is chicken pox she will not need the additional vaccine. If you dont have it documented then they will want to give her the 2nd vaccine.

tmarie
03-18-2010, 11:27 PM
You can have her checked by the ped. If they concur it is chicken pox she will not need the additional vaccine. If you dont have it documented then they will want to give her the 2nd vaccine.

Thanks for bringing that up. I wouldn't have even thought about getting it documented for that reason. I guess we'll be off to the ped's tomorrow. Really, it's a wonder why I even try to work! :)

tmarie

sariana
03-18-2010, 11:52 PM
My son got a few spots after getting the first dose of the vaccine at 18 months. I have no idea how they compared to "regular" chicken pox; I never had it! I have been vaccinated twice, but it keeps wearing off. So I don't put a whole lot of faith in the vaccine. (Never have been able to figure out why I never got the CP, though.)

DS also had some other infections at the time, and his ped prescribed antibiotics. He did have a second dose of the vaccine at age 4, with no reaction at all.

KrisM
03-19-2010, 12:04 AM
My kids had them this year, as did my nephew. The nephew had 1 of the shots and my kids had none. As far as I could tell, they all looked about the same, pox wise.

All of my kids had them on their face first and then their chest/back. They got worse in the diaper area for DS2, as the warm makes them appear more.

Only 1 or 2 times did either of the older 2 say they itched. Really, they were tired more and that was it. No fevers for any of them. DS2 was bothered by itching, I think, but was too young to say of course. He was obviously uncomfortable for a day or so. So, just becuase they don't itch doesn't mean it's not chicken pox.