PDA

View Full Version : Did you lose your filter when pregnant?

ewpmsw
03-18-2010, 11:30 PM
Moms: Did you lose your filter when you were pregnant? By filter, I mean that nice part of your brain that stops or changes brutally honest, embarrassing or incredibly silly things before they come out of your mouth.

I don't know if I can make it to August without offending half the people I know. DH has already gotten sick of it. Just like with my first pregnancy, everyone is stupid and annoying and I do not have any patience with foolishness or enough brain cells for small talk. I'm normally a nice, respectful person. Most of the time. WTHeck?:irked:

MamaMolly
03-18-2010, 11:34 PM
Hmmmm. I got irritable as heck this time around. And I know I've given DH more than his share of grief, so yeah, I guess it is possible.

Last time I must have had daisies growing from my bum I was so cheery.

gatorsmom
03-18-2010, 11:35 PM
Yes, I lost my filter. I made a lot of people angry and alienated some friends. I look back and wonder how my actions could have seemed so rational at the time. :duh:

If it's any consolation, I know a few people IRL and a few here that have had the same thing happen to them. It does happen. :p

Raidra
03-19-2010, 08:53 AM
Definitely. I don't remember it happening so much with my other three, but this time around, I just don't have the energy/patience to tiptoe around issues. If someone's being a jerk or stupid, watch out.

Luckily, my family has avoided this side of me for the most part, with the exception of my mom. My husband mostly finds it amusing, since he only really hears about it secondhand. Which I suppose could also mean that I'm making it out to be either worse or not as bad as it is, so.. oh, I don't know.

Anyway, yes. I think it's a patience/energy issue for me.

Roni
03-19-2010, 09:19 AM
LOL, I just told my DH last night that I responded to a certain situation that way--with no filter. I haven't completely lost it, but I was taken by surprise and uncharacteristically blurted out what I was really feeling. I have a couple difficult situations that I need to deal with, and this incident made me realize that I need to write things down and edit them before I try to speak on the issue. I'm not so bad with my family, but I have really lost patience with other situations.

Gena
03-19-2010, 10:05 AM
I didn't lose my filter, but pregnancy brain made me spacey and forgetful.

This raises the question though, if you did lose your filter and really offended someone or said something truly awful, do you expect that person to let it go just because you are/were pregnant?

My SIL apparently did lose her filter when she was pregnant. She got into an argument with DH and threatened to run our DS over with her car. (DS was an infant at the time and I was standing there holding him.) She later blamed this on her pregnancy hormones, but didn't really apologize. It's almost 6 years later and of all the stuff SIL and said and done over the years, this is the one thing I can't let go of. SIL still wonders why I won't let her babysit DS.

ewpmsw
03-19-2010, 01:52 PM
[QUOTE=Gena;2665489]

This raises the question though, if you did lose your filter and really offended someone or said something truly awful, do you expect that person to let it go just because you are/were pregnant?
QUOTE]

Good question. No, I don't think being pregnant is an excuse to treat people badly. For myself, it means I have to try harder to keep from flying off the handle. I've let things go when it was friends who were pregnant and super cranky, but personal responsibililty tells me it's not okay to act horrible b/c I have a handy excuse. It's just surprised me so much how different I feel when I'm pregnant - I do feel spacey, as pp'd, and keep catching myself saying things I'd usually think better of any other time.

Raidra
03-19-2010, 02:44 PM

My SIL apparently did lose her filter when she was pregnant. She got into an argument with DH and threatened to run our DS over with her car. (DS was an infant at the time and I was standing there holding him.) She later blamed this on her pregnancy hormones, but didn't really apologize. It's almost 6 years later and of all the stuff SIL and said and done over the years, this is the one thing I can't let go of. SIL still wonders why I won't let her babysit DS.

Truly awful comments, like about running children over, wouldn't be forgiven in my book. I don't care how pregnant you are or how crappy a day you're having, that's inexcusable.

I do expect my family to be a little more forgiving with me when I'm pregnant (or having a horrible day), because we all do that for each other. But there's a difference between not sugar-coating something and a truly hurtful comment.

MamaSnoo
03-19-2010, 04:38 PM
I lost my filter when pregnant, and was I brutally honest, call it like you see it, no BS about most things. I do not think that mean spirited or abusive comments qualify as a defective filter, though. Prenancy is not an excuse to be downright nasty to others (that is my brutally honest opinion; maybe I need pee on a stick. :ROTFLMAO:).

michellerw
03-19-2010, 05:42 PM
In my third trimester, totally. I was also off my SSRIs and sleeping 4-5 hours/night. So pregnancy was only part of the package.

gatorsmom
03-19-2010, 07:06 PM

No, I don't think it's an excuse at all. I'm still very ashamed of the things I said when i was pregnant. If someone else is willing to forgive me because i was pregnant when I said what I did, well that would be fantastic and I'd be in their debt. But I wouldn't expect it.