PDA

View Full Version : Baby Monitor Recs?

boilermakermom
03-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Does anyone have a baby monitor they really like? I need a new one...currently use the Fisher Price Sounds n Lights. We rec'd it as a shower gift two years ago...

We were thinking about the Graco ivibe...any thoughts?

truly scrumptious
03-19-2010, 09:24 AM
We love our Sony - it's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000S35QLC

It is voice activated so we don't have to listen to white noise all the time.

jammytoast
03-19-2010, 10:07 AM
2nd the sony....worked nonstop for 4+ years flawlessly.

arivecchi
03-19-2010, 11:09 AM
We love our Sony - it's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000S35QLC

It is voice activated so we don't have to listen to white noise all the time.
:yeahthat: We have 2 of them and they are great.

KHF
03-19-2010, 11:09 AM
We have a Sony too...finally after 4.5 years, it's dying. It beeps constantly if there is anything (or anyone) between it and the base. We got a Philips Avent DECT Basic Baby Monitor to replace it...and it was awesome. Except we could barely hear it. The highest volume is still way too soft. It's OK for night, but if we're downstairs doing anything more than 6 inches from the monitor, we can't hear DS.

So, bottom line, I returned it and we have another Sony shipping to us from Amazon.

catroddick
03-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Another vote for the Sony. We're very happy with it.

may
03-19-2010, 01:59 PM
We are using this one right now.
http://www.amazon.com/Bambino-Wireless-Internet-Monitor-required/dp/B003104LP6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1269021144&sr=8-2

I can check my boy anytime on my laptop.
I can see how he sleeps at night without going to his room.:bighand:

Penny's Pappa
03-19-2010, 02:38 PM
One more vote for the Sony. It's fantastic.

MamaSnoo
03-19-2010, 04:45 PM
We used the Sony. It was great. Even survived DD tossing it off the dresser occasionally. Sound quality was good.

becca_g
03-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Not sure if you are also considering video monitors, but if you are, we love our Summer Infant Best View (http://www.albeebaby.com/summer-infant-best-view-handheld-color-video-monitor.html)!

Stay away from the Summer Infant Slim & Secure (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3763010) video monitor (BRU exclusive)! Our camera base melted and was a definite fire hazard during our first use.

michellerw
03-19-2010, 06:17 PM
We have the Sony too. So far so good. We're new parents and skittish and the sound activated setting is ok with us!

♥ms.pacman♥
03-26-2010, 06:37 AM
thanks for all the reviews. tomorrow i am going to go to BRU and buy the Sony one immediately. what is sad is that this is the monitor we wanted initially and put on our registry, due to all the great reviews on BRU and Amazon. though DH wanted the one with two receivers, since he claimed he would use it from his home office during the day (yeah right :rolleyes:). the bad thing is that BRU *never* had the 2 receiver one in stock (i think it is online only now). for my shower my parents were in town and said they wanted to buy us something big on our registry and we decided to get Graco Vibe 2 monitor since it seemed nice (the vibration feature seemed cool, and it had 2 receivers) and there was a 20% off coupon and we figured it probably woudl be good enough. well, it wasn't. Do NOT get the Graco Vibe, it SUCKS big time. it will work great for like 2 days and then it will lose frequency start beeping or get major static you cannot hear anything. you can change channels to fix it then it will be ok but it's a pain to keep doing that. to change the channel you have to go into the baby's room to change and who wants to do that in the middle of the night and risk waking a sleeping baby. the last straw was this morning when i realized my 11-week-old DS slept thru the night for 8 hours but *I* did not get more than 4 hrs sleep due to this damn monitor keeping me up with static after 3am. :32: i'm mad that it cost my parents $90 and we are just going to throw it out. should have just broke down and bought the $40 Sony one.

Nechums
03-26-2010, 07:47 AM
One more for the Sony. I love the voice activation mode, where I only hear noises from the room if they belong to him. That way I don't have to hear his white noise machine.

truly scrumptious
03-26-2010, 08:34 AM
the bad thing is that BRU *never* had the 2 receiver one in stock (i think it is online only now).

BRU never had the two receiver one when we registered either. We ended up getting the 2 receiver one from Target. We really like it because one can be charging while we walk around with the other one, so we always have a fully charged receiver.

larig
03-27-2010, 02:50 AM
this looks interesting. ikea's take on the baby monitor.
http://babycheapskate.blogspot.com/2010/03/ikea-introduces-new-baby-monitor-for.html

♥ms.pacman♥
03-31-2010, 10:52 PM
BRU never had the two receiver one when we registered either. We ended up getting the 2 receiver one from Target. We really like it because one can be charging while we walk around with the other one, so we always have a fully charged receiver.

thx for posting..thot about this and when we went to BRU they actually had the 2-receiver one in stock (even though the site says it's available online only...weird). yay! so we went ahead and bought it. and OMG what a WORLD of difference...this monitor actually WORKS!! plus, it sounds so clear because it's voice activated, so you don't hear any background noise or static or anything like that. the first night we used it, DH got all confused because he woke up groggy in the middle of the night and heard DS fussing (and me talking to DS) but couldn't see where we were (it was so clear, he had thought we were right there in the bedroom!). took him a few seconds to realize he had heard of us over the monitor and we were in the nursery. craziness!

anyway, gonna throw the Graco vibe monitor out..i can't even sell it on CL, i couldn't with a good conscience sell such a bad product to someone, even at a reduced price!