PDA

View Full Version : S/O: Audio books for the younger set?

Minnifer
03-19-2010, 12:16 PM
The thread on kids dropping naps got me wondering, since 22 month DD is also dropping hers - are there any audio books on CD that you can recommend that you think would work/hold the attention of a kid this young? The "quiet time" concept hasn't worked with her yet and I am getting desperate - she NEEDS some down time in her crib if she's not going to nap... Any suggestions? TIA!

crl
03-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Does she like Curious George?

Catherine

TonFirst
03-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Borders and B&N usually have a lot of the Curious George on similar books on CD, and I found the TON of great books on tape for a huge age range at our city library. For this age, maybe see if you can find some nursery rhymes, the Frances stories (a huge hit here), and other silly songs with stories - www.storynory.com is a great resource for all kinds of free downloads and podcasts.

Also, for older kids (like ages 4+), we are HUUUUUUUUUGE Bill Harley fans:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=bill+harley&x=0&y=0

vonfirmath
03-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Jim Weiss STorytelling Recordings!
http://www.greathall.com/storytelling.html

Minnifer
03-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Oddly, of all the books we have, we don't have any Curious George. But I could pick up a couple to try to get her "hooked", LOL - or maybe she would still like hearing the stories even w/out knowing them already.

TonFirst - what are the Frances stories? I'm not familiar w/them...

It's frustrating that amazon doesn't break audio books for children down by age...

citymama
03-19-2010, 01:37 PM
The Frances Audio collection is a HUGE hit here too! (Readings of the wonderful Frances the badger series by Russell Hoban.) DD got into both the books and CD at around 3; might be too much for a 22 month old. She also loves the Winnie the Pooh audio CDs (read by Judi Dench, Stephen Fry and others) and I think this would be appropriate for a 2 yr old too.

The Rabbit Ears series are good for older kids (maybe 4-5 and older) but seem a little much for even my 4 yr old. She likes listening to the stories about Peter Rabbit and Jeremy Fisher, but found Pinocchio and the other fairy tales more scary. The Rabbit Ears stories have great music and voices though.

We love love love books on tape here!