PDA

View Full Version : Recommend brand name sunglasses for DH

EQ_Bo_07
03-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Our anniversary is coming up in a few months and I want to get him a really good pair of sunglasses. He had his for years now and they are all scratched.

Which ones are good? Last for a while? any brands to avoid?

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Hopefully Billk and Codex chime in....Rayban? MY DH always loses them so he gets cheapy ones.For me I have Gucci and D&G.

Laurel
03-19-2010, 03:30 PM
http://www.electricvisual.com/

High quality and fashionable. Kind of a surfer/snowboarder style.

WatchingThemGrow
03-19-2010, 03:31 PM
We got to HI on our honeymoon with no sunglasses. DH bought some Maui Jims and loves them. I like to wear them when I drive his car. My friend said they were at Costco right now.

Kymberley
03-19-2010, 03:34 PM
The best sunglasses we've ever gotten are Oakley's. We both got a pair with the polarized lenses and they've lasted us 7 years and are still going strong.

BillK
03-19-2010, 03:41 PM
I've had my Oakley's for probably 6-8 years now and still love them.

They don't make my model any more but these are close:

http://www.oakley.com/pd/4266/13931

I had Gargoyle's before that - and they've come a long way. If I was buying new sunglasses - I'd consider Gargoyles now as well. http://www.gargoyleseyewear.com/

saleenl
03-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Seconding the Maui Jims - the lenses are amazing. Costco had several different styles the last time I was there. Since they were more than his usual $15 pair, they stay in the car at all times. I also got my husband a "beater" pair of Kirkland Signature polarized glasses which he says are really great, too, but not quite as good as the Maui Jims. I also have Maui Jims that I love and have had for close to 3 years. They are perfect except for the one time I scratched them (at the beach, went to clean them and there was sand on them, I scraped it hard across the lens).

infomama
03-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Oakley or Native

bluestarfish18
03-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Another Maui Jims lover here. We've gone through 5-7 pairs between the two of us, and love each pair more and more. DH had brutal migraines before he wore them, and hasn't had a single one singe using Maui Jims.

khalloc
03-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Oliver peoples!

Zansu
03-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Maui Jim's!

I've had the same pair for years. I also have a pair of Costco Kirkland's that I keep in DH's car.

AnnieW625
03-19-2010, 05:07 PM
DH is a Rayban guy, has been for as long as I have known him. Costco has a nice selection of Raybans as well as Maui Jims. DH's extra pair in my car are Foster Grant (I think) Ironman ones from Target.

ged
03-19-2010, 05:08 PM
DH loves his Maui Jim's...but what he loves the most is the fact that his lenses are polarized.

codex57
03-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Maui Jim
Maui Jim
Maui Jim

in a pinch, Oakley

I prolly have about $400-500 worth of Oakleys, but that's cuz I bought them before I discovered Maui Jim.

I must preface that to say I'm more function over form, altho Maui Jim, while not the absolute coolest looking, don't top the ugly meter either. That's why I shy away from some of the other pretty good brands like Gargoyle. They can be polarizing. Or ultra bland like Ray Ban. Oakley makes it sound like they're equal part form and function, but after trying on Maui Jims, you discover Oakley is really more form than function (Oakley is better than a cheapy brand or something from one of those "fashion" houses like Gucci, but they're no Maui Jim).

BeachBum
03-19-2010, 05:37 PM
My DH wears Smith polarized. He looks hot in his glasses :)

noodle
03-19-2010, 06:04 PM
DH's all-time favorites are Persol.

Tenasparkl
03-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Oliver peoples!

I love Oliver Peoples glasses.

My husband has worn Bolle sunglasses forever and just got a sporty pair of polarized Raybans and loves them.

catpagmo
03-19-2010, 06:47 PM
My DH loves Von Zipper sunglasses.

www.vonzipper.com

Tondi G
03-19-2010, 06:51 PM
My Hubby likes Oakley but he has a pair of Nike sunglasses that he loves. They were around $50 so a good price too! These are the model he has Tarj

http://www.finishline.com/store/catalog/product.jsp?sourceid=shopping&productId=prod562528&NIKE%20VISION&cid=42&CAWELAID=290618282

squimp
03-19-2010, 07:35 PM
Maui Jim, polarized are DH's faves.

TonFirst
03-19-2010, 09:53 PM
Maui Jim's are incredible - and they have a good selection at Costco (I bought mine there for $89). But my husband LOVES his Costa del Sol glasses. He loves them on the beach and for driving, but he REALLY loves them when he goes pheasant hunting or skeet shooting.

sunnyside
03-19-2010, 11:32 PM
I'm going to throw one more vote in for Maui Jims. They are really truly the best sunglasses on earth I have 3 pairs. :applause:

rlmomto5
03-19-2010, 11:51 PM
Another vote for Maui Jim. They are wonderful!!! I have 2 pairs. :bighand:

graciebellesmomma
03-20-2010, 12:19 AM
I used to rep for Ray Ban and Revo. Love both of them
Smith and Persol rock, as well!

Maui Jim makes a good sunglass, but I think they are
overpriced. Good to know they sell them at Costco.

emily_gracesmama
03-20-2010, 09:28 AM
maui jim all the way, stalk bing for cashback and if you are lucky enough to see them give 30% on endless you can get them there, I did for me for V Day. You will need hubby to try on ones locally though so you'd know what to buy!

khalloc
03-22-2010, 09:03 AM
DH has a pair of Maui Jim's and would never buy them again.

The lens in his glasses has cracked 3 separate times. And he hadnt dropped them or anything. We think its a flaw with the frame design or something. Anyways, he has mailed them back to MJ each time and they are replaced the lense, but they said they will not replace it anymore free of charge. But really the lense is just cracking on its own. It seems to be a flaw on their part though.

kellyd
03-22-2010, 09:11 AM
DH swears by his Oakleys! He bought his first pair in 01, they lasted until the end of summer 08 when they just finally had it! My brother bought him a pair for a Christmas present in 08 and they are still looking pretty near perfect.

I have to point out that DH is VERY hard on sunglasses, he works outside most of the summer at a local amusement part, and coaches a high school spring sport so is outside for hours a day starting at the beginning of March. His sunglasses are also the first thing he puts on when he gets into the car, then his seatbelt LOL! So basically they are on his face a lot more than some people use theirs.

sheleo
03-22-2010, 10:05 AM
Oakley's and Rayban's are my DH favorites. Raybans are the most recent. Personally I think that the Raybans way wear better. I think he went through 3 Oakleys before the Raybans.