PDA

View Full Version : How effective is professional shoe stretching?

JMS
03-19-2010, 03:54 PM
I *splurged* on a pair of shoes from zappos. Last pair. With f/s and f/r, I thought it was worth a try. The fit but the top toe area is tight, as many of the reviewers mentioned. They are closed toe, patent leather. If I have them stretched, I can't in good conscious return them. How much give can I expect? I really, really, really heart these shoes :)

infomama
03-19-2010, 03:58 PM
I have a killer pair of shoes that I got stretched by a cobbler and I think they went up a 1/2 size which was perfect for me. He said he could stretch them more if I needed him to.

dotgirl
03-19-2010, 04:00 PM
It really depends on the material - but patent leather is notoriously hard to stretch. If you're only looking for one spot to be stretched a tiny bit, you're probably ok - but patent leather doesn't usually stretch even up 1/2 a size (contrast that to leather, which can stretch as far as 1.5 sizes, depending upon the style).

Your best bet is to take it to a professional cobbler (or a Nordstrom if you have one - they do stretching) and explain exactly where it's tight - they'll start bit by bit, having you try it on after each stretch, until it gets to where you like it.