PDA

View Full Version : Need a meatless recipe for tonight that doesn't involve fish or pasta

Fairy
03-19-2010, 04:44 PM
I hate this season. Lent is the only thing my lapsed Catholic DH observes, and he won't eat meat on Friday. No problem. Only he won't eat fish of any kind, period, doesn't care for pasta that much, and I've tried every kind of tofu there is, you can forget it. He'll do morningstar fake sausage, that's fine. and he'll do eggs. But that's it.

HELP.

I tried this recipe last week (with morningstar), and it was a miss. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Hash-Brown-and-Egg-Casserole/Detail.aspx. I was expecting a very crusty, crunchy bottom and a fluffy eggy top. Nope. I would love to do an egg casserole that involved fluffiness on top, and I have hashbrowns that I can cook and crisp up for the bottom. But this recipe was a big miss. I'm open to whatever. Anyone?

o_mom
03-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Vegetable fried rice?

Vegetarian chili with corn bread?

Black bean soup (skip the ham)?

elektra
03-19-2010, 05:26 PM
This sounds like my own DH. Except now he doesn't even do the no meat thing on Fridays anymore! We would always eat Mexican food on Fridays, since he also does not like fish and doesn't like pasta either.
How about cheese enchiladas with beans and rice? I am more of a take out girl when it comes to Mexican food though! (My mexican food cooking could never live up to my MIL so I don't even try.)

I also have done this crock pot recipe if you guys like Thai or Indian food. Mamicka posted this a long time ago. :) It would go well with some of the Indian food sides from TJ's too.
--------------
THAI CHICKPEA STEW

Now, to me this is not a heavy stew, it's more like a soupy entree. It's definitely something you'd serve in a bowl with a spoon, but it's not heavy-thick. It is a crockpot special, YAY, but the chickpeas don't get mushy.

I serve this with Jasmine rice and cucumber spinach salad.

2 tsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 c chopped vidalia onion (1 cup regular)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 19 ounce cans (note the odd size) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 14.5 ounce cans petite diced tomatoes, UNdrained
1 14 oz can coconut milk (light doesn't make a difference, see the fat content below)
1 Tbs good curry powder (mine is just from Whole Foods--very hot curries may need adjustment but for me this is good)
2 Tbs minced *pickled* jalapeno pepper (this is what I cut down--I use about a teaspoon because I'm a spice wimp)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c chopped fresh basil (or cilantro, if you'd rather)

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium. Add onion and garlic; saute 5 min or until onion is tender. Place onion mixture, chickpeas, and next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a 3 1/2 qt electric slow cooker. Stir well. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Stir in basil or cilantro and serve over rice. Serves six to eight.

With regular coconut milk and including 3/4 c rice, this has 404 calories, 9g protein, 14g fat, 7 g fiber and way too many carbs.
Probably too late for tonight though.

srhs
03-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Veggie pizza? Cheese pizza?
DH and I are snackers, so we like to do a Mexican dip feast from time to time--avocado salad, 7-layer dip, cheese dip, bean dip, salsa, etc.
Breakfast for dinner? Omelets, Waffles or Pancakes, & Fruit

ETA: My DH flipped over that TJ Indian Fare Dal Makhani Meal I said was recommended here! That's vegetarian, right? Add some na'an and good to go?

ThreeofUs
03-19-2010, 06:18 PM
What about fritata?

Here's a recipe I've had in development for a while. If you try it, let me know how it worked and how you all liked it.

Veggie Fritata

0.5 C good canola oil
1 T garlic, chopped
1 C carrot, shredded
1 C broccoli, chopped
1 c potatoes, shredded (I used bagged homefries)
1 c grated mozzarella (I used soy cheese) plus ½ c for garnish - smoked mozzarella makes it even better
1-1.5 c water
4 eggs
0.5 c milk (I used soy milk)

Heat oven to 350F.
Heat oil in cast-iron pan to hot, add garlic and carrot and stir-fry fast on medium-hot heat.
Add broccoli, and stir-fry for another couple of minutes.
Add potatoes, stirring a few times so they don’t scorch – but you do want them to brown.
Mix everything together in the pan and add enough water to just reach the top layer of veggies – not over. Add black pepper to taste. Boil for about 5 minutes.
Turn off pan.
Add cheese on top (it will boil for another couple of minutes), but don’t touch otherwise. Mixture should be fragrant.
Mix eggs and milk well.
Pour egg mixture over vegetable mix in pan.
Put pan in oven, bake for 25 minutes (½ hour maximum). Top should be slightly hard and perhaps slightly browned. Do not overcook – mix will continue cooking out of the oven.
Cut in pie shapes, and put on a little cheese on a plate, then sprinkle some cheese and salt (to taste) on top.

urquie
03-19-2010, 06:46 PM
we love this recipe any time of day! it's a major protein source for my girls.

German Apple Pancakes

Ingredients:
4 eggs
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
2 medium apples, thinly sliced
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Place 2 round pans in oven that has been heated to 400 degrees. [I use glass pie plates but think I’ll try it in a 9 x 11 pan next time]

Beat eggs, flour, milk, and salt together for 1 minute. [Sometimes I do this in the blender – it’s fast and gets the lumps our really well… but only if there is room in my dishwasher for it]

Remove pans from oven. Place 2 Tablespoons butter in each pan and rotate pans until butter is melted and coating sides of pans.

In each heated pan arrange half of apple slices (I use an apple slicer and then put the wedges in a Cuisinart with the slicer attachment). Divide the batter evenly and pour over apple slices. Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over batter in each pan. [I don’t bother to mix - just sprinkle 2TB of sugar on each pan then shake the cinnamon directly from the container, not worrying about amount]

Bake until puffed and golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes. Enjoy with sausage patties and syrup for breakfast or with ice cream or whipping cream for dessert. Serves 4.

My changes – I use half whole wheat flour.
I usually make a larger batch for the three of us (we like the leftovers J) with the addition of - 2 apples, 2 eggs, ¼+ cup flour, ¼ cup milk. I cook it for about 5 extra minutes when the pans are this full. We usually serve this with morningstar veggie sausage patties.

eta: this was an old email to a friend. i've since made it in a 9 x 11 pan and it works just fine... but it's not as nice of a presentation. : )

Twoboos
03-19-2010, 06:52 PM
Probably late for tonight, but Trader Joes has the BEST Israeli cous-cous. I am completely addicted. Roast up some veggies and toss w/cous and nuts. Or saute veggies & nuts, add cous.

OMG, mouth watering...

wellyes
03-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Sounds like a fantastic night for your DH to have cooking duty!

Fairy
03-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Ok, guys, you are awesome. I was at TJ's when some of these came in. I called DH and said, "will you eat x ... will you eat y ... how about z." And what I ended up doing is ... *sigh* ... buyng the tomato pesto flatbread pizza they were hawking in the back of the store and roasting that up for him. Me, I hate pesto, so I got one of the prepared meals, and I prepared a salad for all. DS got a toasted cheese and fruit and cucumbers. I also bought jojo's and dark chocolate covered pretzels, but who's counting?

DH is so picky with food, the couscous would never go over. I asked him if he'd be willing to try something called "thai chickpea stew," and he said, "well, uh ... well ... I'd try it, sure. But, I don't know that i'd really like chickpeas, Dear. but ... well ... yeah, whatever you want to try, Dear." Yeah. However, that recipe looks quite good and I may try it for myself this week!

Now, the fritata and german apple pancakes? Excellent! I think DH will eat either of those, and the pancake especially DH and DS will both devour! That's what I'm doing next Friday, done deal, one of the other, might actually make the fritata for lunch!

Tahnk you all, as usual!

Fairy
03-19-2010, 08:43 PM
we love this recipe any time of day! it's a major protein source for my girls.

German Apple Pancakes

Ingredients:
4 eggs
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
2 medium apples, thinly sliced
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Place 2 round pans in oven that has been heated to 400 degrees. [I use glass pie plates but think I’ll try it in a 9 x 11 pan next time]

Beat eggs, flour, milk, and salt together for 1 minute. [Sometimes I do this in the blender – it’s fast and gets the lumps our really well… but only if there is room in my dishwasher for it]

Remove pans from oven. Place 2 Tablespoons butter in each pan and rotate pans until butter is melted and coating sides of pans.

In each heated pan arrange half of apple slices (I use an apple slicer and then put the wedges in a Cuisinart with the slicer attachment). Divide the batter evenly and pour over apple slices. Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over batter in each pan. [I don’t bother to mix - just sprinkle 2TB of sugar on each pan then shake the cinnamon directly from the container, not worrying about amount]

Bake until puffed and golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes. Enjoy with sausage patties and syrup for breakfast or with ice cream or whipping cream for dessert. Serves 4.

My changes – I use half whole wheat flour.
I usually make a larger batch for the three of us (we like the leftovers J) with the addition of - 2 apples, 2 eggs, ¼+ cup flour, ¼ cup milk. I cook it for about 5 extra minutes when the pans are this full. We usually serve this with morningstar veggie sausage patties.

eta: this was an old email to a friend. i've since made it in a 9 x 11 pan and it works just fine... but it's not as nice of a presentation. : )

Urquie, can I replace the apples with something else? Blueberries, maybe? I don't like apples, myself, and I kinda want this, too! I'm gonna make this, regardless, and if it's apples, then it's apples. But how do you think this would work with a berry or some kind? Or maybe pears?

Twoboos
03-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Urquie, can I replace the apples with something else? Blueberries, maybe? I don't like apples, myself, and I kinda want this, too! I'm gonna make this, regardless, and if it's apples, then it's apples. But how do you think this would work with a berry or some kind? Or maybe pears?

We make this here (call it Dutch Baby), it's DH's most favorite breakfast. You probably don't need the fruit at all, even though it's definitely a nice touch! We usually do it in a 9x11. Little bit of vanilla in there is really good, too, maybe 1/2tsp.

Drat Fairy, the TJ's couscous is to DIE, seriously!! Bummer. Does your DH realize it's just big rice, LOL?? Or wait, is it tiny pasta... hmmmm...

GL, I hate figuring out food. I realized today as I was buying hamburgers for dinner that it was Lent. Add another point onto the Bad Lapsed Catholic scorecard for me. :bag

o_mom
03-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Drat Fairy, the TJ's couscous is to DIE, seriously!! Bummer. Does your DH realize it's just big rice, LOL?? Or wait, is it tiny pasta... hmmmm...

Reminds me of the kids... I make orzo and I get one telling me it's rice and he doesn't like rice (even though he does) and the other one saying it's pasta and he doesn't like pasta (also not true).

Oh - and where do I find the couscous at TJs? Frozen? Dried? Somewhere else?

urquie
03-19-2010, 10:14 PM

my aunt did it with cherries, i think a can of cherries, and it was a huge hit for her x-mas breakfast. i would imagine the less added moisture the better... so fresh blueberries as opposed to frozen. i would also follow the original recipe, instead of upping the egg... at least the first time. please let me know how it turns out!

Kestrel
03-20-2010, 01:19 AM
How's the weather where you are? It's still quite cold here, so we're having vegetarian chili with cheese and cornbread....

Perhaps even a simple veggie soup?

luza
03-20-2010, 04:40 AM
We love German Apple Pancakes too, but we make them in a cast iron skillet using the recipe here http://whatscookingamerica.net/CastIronRecipes.htm. The main difference is that you precook the apples with a bit of sugar and butter (I cut way back on the amount of butter in the recipe and it still works well) so the fruit caramelizes. I think you could easily swap the apples for pears or even for juicier fruit (think peaches) this way because you can cook them in the pan a bit longer to get rid of the extra liquid before adding the batter.

Twoboos
03-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Oh - and where do I find the couscous at TJs? Frozen? Dried? Somewhere else?

It's dry so in the aisle with the rice/pasta (to keep the debate going, LOL!) in a purple box.

They have a recipe on the box w/pine nuts, which I usually use (very loosely) as a kind of base and add other stuff. Then the pic on the front has squash and onions - really, did I mention it's good??

ThreeofUs
03-20-2010, 11:06 AM

We make something similar with any kind of fruit on hand. Just adjust flour and sugar for thickener. We also add about 0.5 to 1 teaspoon vanilla.

Betcha it'd be great with pears. Might think of adding nutmeg to it, then.

srhs
03-20-2010, 11:10 AM
It's dry so in the aisle with the rice/pasta (to keep the debate going, LOL!) in a purple box.

They have a recipe on the box w/pine nuts, which I usually use (very loosely) as a kind of base and add other stuff. Then the pic on the front has squash and onions - really, did I mention it's good??
Ok, wait, I have some wheat TJs couscous in the cupboard that SIL brought me last fall. Cream box with Indian design. Different version? Newer version? Is yours not wheat? (Sorry, I can't just look at the store, since I don't have TJs, but I can put it on THE LIST for next time.)

Twoboos
03-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Ok, wait, I have some wheat TJs couscous in the cupboard that SIL brought me last fall. Cream box with Indian design. Different version? Newer version? Is yours not wheat? (Sorry, I can't just look at the store, since I don't have TJs, but I can put it on THE LIST for next time.)

Sounds like a different one. This is Israeli cous cous, so it's bigger. And the box is purple, $1.99 sticker still on there...

let me try to take a pic. be right back.

ETA: here's the pic - straight outta the recycle bin, LOL!

srhs
03-20-2010, 01:38 PM
Sounds like a different one. This is Israeli cous cous, so it's bigger. And the box is purple, $1.99 sticker still on there...

let me try to take a pic. be right back.

ETA: here's the pic - straight outta the recycle bin, LOL!
You :jammin:!
Totally putting your pic right on my list!

Tondi G
03-22-2010, 08:05 PM
How about fresh mozzarella, tomato and basil sandwiches. Buy some panini/ciabatta bread... drizzle with olive oil, a smidge of balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. YUM!

Other thoughts

Grilled cheese sandwiches and fruit salad or pasta salad

cheese enchiladas with beans and rice

fajita bean and cheese burritos, saute bell peppers and onions... add to rice, beans, salsa (sour cream and or guacamole if you like), cheese wrap up the tortilla... dinner!

Breakfast for dinner

I know you said no pasta but does he like cheese ravioli or tortellini? I love it with pesto sauce... a crusty roll and a salad

How about vegi fried rice and pick up a package of vegi gyoza dumplings from Trader Joes.. maybe make chinese chicken salad without the chicken?

loaded vegi soup.... tomato, onion, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, potato, carrot, celery (really any vegi you like will do)... put it in a bowl steaming hot and top with shredded monterey Jack cheese... YUM!

OH and the TJ's isreali couscous is FANTASTIC! My sister cooks it in broth... then adds sauted onion, mushrooms, zucchini (that is chopped up pretty small).