PDA

View Full Version : Which stroller??!?!

orangepeil
03-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Due in Oct and not sure what stroller we need...should we get a travel system? If we do, then what carseat should we get when the baby outgrows the carrier that goes with it. If we DON'T get a travel system, which stroller should we get instead? And does it make sense to get a separate carrier and then a carseat as the baby grows or get a carseat that grows with the baby? Sorry lots of questions, but everything's so confusing!

Whit

arivecchi
03-20-2010, 11:12 AM
I would not recommend a travel system. Most of the strollers that come with travel systems are not that great quality-wise, are huge and heavy. Most people buy an infant seat and then move the baby to a convertible car seat. See this link for info on car seats:

http://www.car-safety.org/basics.html

What kind of lifestyle do you lead? What is your budget for a stroller? Do you want one for the car, for neighborhood walks?

You might want to check this out.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=348699

ehf
03-21-2010, 07:43 PM
I would NOT buy a travel system. Everyone I know who bought one, regretted it.

I would buy a car seat of your choice. You can also buy a Snap n' Go, if you want something very light, quick, and easy to use with your car seat.

I really like the UppaBaby Vista, so if you want a slightly larger, full-featured stroller, you can get something like that and use the carseat adaptor to attach your seat.

If you don't want such a large stroller, use the Snap n Go until your child outgrows the infant seat, and then pick a stroller based on how you find yourself using one.

I bought a larger Maclaren that was approved for use from birth. i'm okay with it, but I wish I had bought a more all-terrain stroller for walks in my neighborhood and the snap n go for the mall/errands. The travel systems aren't really ideal for either!!

Andi98989
03-21-2010, 09:10 PM
DS was born in October. We got a SnugRide 32 car seat, a co-ordinating Graco Mosaic stroller (functions like a travel system stroller, but much smaller - love it!). We just bought a Baby Jogger City Elite stroller for DH to use - he is 6'5" and this is the only stroller that we found that he can push because if has a height adjustable handle and a nice wide wheel base in the back and no crossbar in the back for him to kick. We also have an Ergo carrier that I've been using around the house and when I take DS to the store and don't want to bring the car seat in, or it's a store where his seat won't fit in the cart (Rite Aid, for example).

salsah
03-21-2010, 09:39 PM
I would not recommend a travel system. Most of the strollers that come with travel systems are not that great quality-wise, are huge and heavy. Most people buy an infant seat and then move the baby to a convertible car seat. See this link for info on car seats:

http://www.car-safety.org/basics.html

What kind of lifestyle do you lead? What is your budget for a stroller? Do you want one for the car, for neighborhood walks?

You might want to check this out.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=348699

:yeahthat: if you tell us about your lifestyle (city dweller, walk every where, take pt, suburbanite, drive everywhere, constantly in and out of the car, etc.) we can make some recommendations.

sweetsoul99
03-22-2010, 12:54 AM
Yes, it really depends on your lifestyle. I wanted to only have 1 stroller, so I got the Graco Metrolite and snugride 22. I loved this travel system. The stroller only weighed 17 lbs, folded rather compactly, was relatively easy to steer, and handled MOST of the terrains that I used it on (mall and walks to the park). But once she outgrew the car seat, I found that I wanted and would rather use an umbrella stroller for the mall and traveling.

So, when we have our next baby, I plan on getting a snap n go and car seat (I'll be more than happy to do Graco again), then once she outgrows them switch to our umbrella stroller. Then getting a good all-terrain stroller for outdoor purposes. I would absolutely love to have a few more fun strollers in my collection, but I simply do not have the space for them (and when it comes right down to it, the money either)

The weight limit on the snugride 22 is 22 lbs, and trust me, once your little once reached that weight you won't want to be lugging the car seat in and out of the car. So at that point we purchased a convertible car seat. Now I'm free to leave DD2 rear facing as long as either of us can stand it, and can then turn her around with the same car seat. I definately recommend getting the carrier to start out with, it makes going out and about much easier (that is if you'll be getting in and out of the car a lot)

AnnieW625
03-22-2010, 11:08 AM
We did not buy a travel system because I have a bad back and I didn't really like any of the patterns out there in 2005/2006 when we were looking. I do have friends however who have had great luck with their Graco Metrolite systems. We already had a full featured Peg Perego Pliko that didn't take a Graco car seat so I just put our daughter straight into the stroller and she never had any problems. She'd always fall back asleep. For this baby we will have a stroller frame (our Uppa Baby Vista), but I honestly am not sure how much we will use it since we didn't use it before.