PDA

View Full Version : My daughter is weaning...so sad

dukie41181
03-20-2010, 08:21 PM
I'm so sad about it. She is self-weaning and I've always assumed she'd be interested in nursing much longer (she is 13 months old). Maybe that was just my hope. Anyways, it makes me sad. I keep offering it to her, but she is refusing. Clearly, I'm having a harder time with this than she is! :(

Dr C
03-20-2010, 08:26 PM
I was heartbroken when DS weaned himself at 8 months. But I told myself it was better for it to be his decision than mine--if it had been mine I would have felt so guilty!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-20-2010, 09:14 PM
My DD started to wean, and I just kept offering and she came back around. Keep positive!

TwinFoxes
03-20-2010, 09:16 PM
:hug: I was forced to wean the girls at about 14 months because of medication. I'm still a little sad.

ewpmsw
03-20-2010, 09:37 PM
Aw. Hugs and way to go for making it 13 months! When DD weaned around that age, I was surprised at how sad I felt. I still miss BFing her once in a while. It was definitely bittersweet when she decided she was finished.

twowhat?
03-20-2010, 09:50 PM
It IS a little sad, but really it's easier if she decides for herself!! I encouraged my 18-month-olds to wean. It was a little hard at times - I had to have really good distractions and it was tough when they asked for "milk". But once I was down to one feeding, they decided to drop that final bedtime feeding all by themselves and I was honestly so relieved that they got "the last word" :)

Having your body back to yourself is nice too!

dukie41181
03-20-2010, 11:02 PM
My DD started to wean, and I just kept offering and she came back around. Keep positive!

Here's to hoping she'll come back around! I keep offering at least 2-3 times per day. In the morning now she thinks its funny and before nap and before bed she is usually so tired that she just pushes it/me away. :(

I will not give up! I never plan to wean her at my wishes but always planned a self-weaning arrangement. She knows what she needs and wants and I'll follow that. Mama just wasn't ready!

I just feel constantly reminded that my little baby isn't so much a little baby anymore! While its great to see her develop, it makes me miss the baby stage! This must be why people have more than 1 child! ;)

catroddick
03-20-2010, 11:34 PM
I just feel constantly reminded that my little baby isn't so much a little baby anymore! While its great to see her develop, it makes me miss the baby stage! This must be why people have more than 1 child! ;)

:yeahthat:
Oh, I am sooo there! Where did my baby go? How come she's so damn smart and independant already? I want to do it again. Thing is, I don't want another one, I just want my baby again.

SnuggleBuggles
03-20-2010, 11:49 PM

:yeahthat: I wasn't quite ready when ds slowed down shortly after his 1st b-day so I kept at it. He had a revival and continued on till 17m. It worked great, actually, because he didn't want to nurse all the time during the day like a few other toddlers I knew but was happy to nurse during down times like before bed. I was glad that he stuck with it through cold and flu season also. A day came that I was ready too and it was a very easy weaning process.

GL!
Beth

baymom
03-21-2010, 01:03 AM
I'm so sad about it. She is self-weaning and I've always assumed she'd be interested in nursing much longer (she is 13 months old). Maybe that was just my hope. Anyways, it makes me sad. I keep offering it to her, but she is refusing. Clearly, I'm having a harder time with this than she is! :(

:hug: Aww...it IS so hard! I felt the same way when DD self weaned (at 13 months, also). She was our second (and last) child, so it was especially hard since I had to accept that that part of my life was forever gone. It is such a sweet bond and special stage in a baby's life....but just think--you have SO many other sweet, special stages to come!

citymama
03-21-2010, 02:57 AM
Weaning is hard, but self-weaning is really the best way it can happen. I was so depressed when DD started to self-wean (at 18 months) but in many ways, I was also ready for it without knowing I was. After being really sad about it for a while, I decided to embrace our mutual independence. And in some ways, not much changed in terms of cuddles and sharing a special time, b/c for at least a year after self-weaning, DD still wanted to be in my arms and gazing into my eyes when she drank from her bottle/sippy!

If you are really not ready, and she and you both want this, see if you can scale back to a couple of feedings a day rather than weaning cold-turkey. And regardless, I hope you can still share special cuddles with your baby when she's having her bottle. Congrats on making it past a year!