PDA

View Full Version : Le Creuset: what size dutch oven?

MamaSnoo
03-21-2010, 08:56 AM
Well, it is time again for DH to buy me gifts (anniversary etc)! He likes to get me something that I will really like and does not mind spending a little, but he almost never has ideas. So, he asked me to give a short list of things I would like. I have had my eye on the dutch ovens for a while, but I do not know what size to ask for. I tend to cook big; we like leftovers, and I am not afraid of a roast or pork loin in the 4# range. That said, item which are too big do not get much use (please see my 20-qt stock pot for evidence).

If you have an oval LC dutch oven, what size do you have and what do you do with it? I was thinking about the 6-3/4 quart oval.

caleymama
03-21-2010, 09:23 AM
Well, I'm not quite who you're hoping to hear from because ours is round rather than oval but we have the round 7 1/4 quart (http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/en-us/Products/Enameled-Cast-Iron/French-Ovens/Round-French-Oven-7--qt/) and love it. It gets used regularly for soup, stews, and sauce.

I also have a 5 quart Lodge cast iron dutch oven (similar to this (https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1_new.asp?menu=logic&idProduct=3948) one) and we don't use it nearly as often as the larger Le Creuset.

Between the 7 1/4 qt french oven and our 3 1/2 quart braiser (http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/en-us/Products/Enameled-Cast-Iron/Braisers/Braiser-3--qt/), I feel like we're set.

BeachBum
03-21-2010, 12:02 PM
I have the 7 qt round and it gets a lot of love at our house. I also have the smaller size, and it is too small for most roasts and stews.

gatorsmom
03-21-2010, 08:57 PM
I have the 9qt dutch oven (mine is round not oval) which at first seemed HUGE when I ordered it (i ordered it without seeing it) but I love it. Of course, I usually cook for all 6 of us and try to make leftovers. The thing I really like is that I saute a lot of chicken breasts and so I can fit a lot in the pot all at once.

As for the stock pot, I completely understand where you are coming from. I also ordered the 20 qt and NEVER use it. I had big plans for boiling whole chickens to make my own broths and such. I've had the stock pot for 4 years and have yet to put a chicken in there. But I do use my 12 qt stock pot all the time.

In fact, I use the 12 qt stock pot and the 9qt dutch oven the most frequently of all my pots and pans.

smiles33
03-21-2010, 09:12 PM
In retrospect, I wish we had the 9 qt. We have the 7 qt from WS (a wedding registry gift) and DH fills it to the brim all the time (which results in a ton of spills onto the cooktop).

MmeSunny
03-21-2010, 09:36 PM
I would suggest getting a round one for optimal heat distribution. For our small famy our 5 qt does just fine.

MMMommy
03-21-2010, 11:07 PM
Ditto on the round versus oval. DH loves his dutch oven and prefers the round to the oval.

MamaSnoo
03-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Good point on the round vs. oval. I was thinking more of using in the oven, and the oval is pleasing, but one of the best features is the stovetop to oven........round would work better. I'm really glad I asked this question!:bowdown: