PDA

View Full Version : quick! Would you fly with a sick baby?

soontobe
03-21-2010, 11:26 AM
okay I have a flight tomorrow-me and 16 month old ds from nyc to Toronto. He woke up this morning with 102F with motrin it is down to 98F. he isn't feeling himself, but no signs of ear infection. pedi thinks it's prob. a virus and says it is safe for him to fly, he might just be uncomfortable.

no drs around here are open today so I can't get him checked out. we would be able to take him to a dr in toronto tomorrow if we feel like he needs to be seen.

Question: do I go or change the flight for $50 to Wed?!?!?!? Is it mean to drag him while he doesn't feel well?

HELP!!!!

TonFirst
03-21-2010, 11:39 AM
The gate-to-gate time is, what, about 90 minutes? If he's comfortable and is responding to the Motrin, and if your ped says it's ok, I'd do it.

tnrnchick74
03-21-2010, 11:43 AM
as long as he's responding to Motrin, doesn't have an ear infection, horribly stuffy nose, or coughing loudly...AND he was reasonably consolable I would do it. A fever can be from a ton of things - teething, mild virus, etc. Think about whether YOU would fly with what he has...

soontobe
03-21-2010, 11:51 AM
Think about whether YOU would fly with what he has...

I was actually thinking about that and I have flown with much much worse and it was not fun. I think he will be okay. Dh said I should go and he is usually the more careful one of us, so I think I'm going to go.

tnrnchick74
03-21-2010, 11:53 AM
I was actually thinking about that and I have flown with much much worse and it was not fun. I think he will be okay. Dh said I should go and he is usually the more careful one of us, so I think I'm going to go.

I think that's very reasonable. I've flown with all sorts of "crud" - asthma flares, ear infections, bronchitis, cold, cough, etc. And it all boils down to how long the flight is and how bad I feel.

I hope the flight is easy and baby sleeps! Good luck!

wellyes
03-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Will he have a seat or be a lap baby?

My horror story: DD was slightly little off but not sick, I was cleared to fly with her (on my lap). She behaved OK for the most part. But during some turbulence she ended up throwing up. All over herself. And me. And *the poor guy next to me*. It was awful awful awful. Try cleaning that up in one of those tiny bathrooms - oh the smell - and that poor, poor man. He was incredibly gracious. but I vowed I would never ever fly with a lap baby who wasn't in tip-top shape again.

Having said that, if it's a short flight and he's not showing any signs of illness beyond fever I think you're fine taking him - I just woudln't.

Good luck either way!

infomama
03-21-2010, 11:56 AM
w/o the ear infection clues I would say OK but if that changes there is no way I would chance it.

SnuggleBuggles
03-21-2010, 11:58 AM
The gate-to-gate time is, what, about 90 minutes? If he's comfortable and is responding to the Motrin, and if your ped says it's ok, I'd do it.

:yeahthat: Do it and be done, imo.

Beth

bubbaray
03-21-2010, 01:02 PM
I totally would and, in fact, did last weekend with not one but two sick kids (and I was sick). DD#2 started complaining of sore ears 48hrs before we left and also had a fever for 3 days before we left. Doc at walk in clinic said 1 ear was red, Rx'd antibiotic with instructions NOT to start it unless her condition worsened (said ears would resolve without antibiotics and was only prescribing them b/c we were going away, so we wouldn't need emergency dr visit in Disney). DD#1 had the same symptoms, only closer to time of travel and minus the ear pain.

Doc said to use benadryl or other antihistamine to reduce ear pressure and give Tylenol before departure. My ENT said to use Otrivin before departure and 20 min before landing. I used the Otrivin and so did DD#1, DD#2 refused.

All was fine. Go and have fun in TO!