PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else have trouble posting an ad on Craigslist?

Spicygirl
03-21-2010, 11:55 AM
I posted a straightforward, simple ad on Craigslist and received an email that it was flagged and removed. I checked and rechecked it to be sure it conformed to Craiglist posting guidelines (nothing discriminatory, inappropriate, etc.) and reposted the ad, and the same thing happened again.

Instead of telling you why your ad was flagged, Craigslist refers you to their discussion board where you can ask for opinions on why your ad was flagged. The "trolls" lurking on this discussion board are NOT helpful, they are snarky, nasty and abusive. They use explicit profanity and make caustic remarks that they would not likely say to someone face to face. Apparently they feel free to do this thanks to the anonymity of the internet. :angry-smiley-005:

Anyway, I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and how you dealt with it - were you finally able to get your ad back on?

khm
03-21-2010, 12:05 PM
People just flag them individually, I don't think there's anyway to know what caught their eye as they don't have to say. They just click "overpost, miscategorized or prohibited" with no explaination.

Could you post the gist of your ad here?

Spicygirl
03-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Here's my ad:

$875/mo Small 3 BR 2BA House in Private Country Setting

HOUSE FOR RENT

*3 BR 2 BA
*All appliances, including washer/dryer
*Full, unfinished basement
*Garage
*Barn and large yard
*A/C
*Geothermal system = low heating and cooling costs!

Located on private country street, yet only 10 minutes to (nearby town center).

Please email or call xxx-xxx-xxxx.

(I also included email address, house location and photos)

infomama
03-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Doesn't look like it's suitable for removal to me. Maybe it's your competition flagging it?

khm
03-21-2010, 12:19 PM
I got nothin'! I don't know what is causing it to be flagged!

You aren't posting it in two locations? (Overpost).

You're in the right category? (Rentals, correct geographic location?)

I'd probably try again with a note,

"This ad was flagged previously, I'm not sure why. Please email me."

Spicygirl
03-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Doesn't look like it's suitable for removal to me. Maybe it's your competition flagging it?

That occurred to me, although it is hard for me to believe that people would do something so low, but I guess it could happen. But, I was led to believe that it would take about 30 people flagging it to get it pulled. Maybe one person with 30 different accounts could do it? But it seems like a lot of trouble for somebody to go through.

My DH thinks maybe this one individual that we already showed the house to (and REALLY wants it) did something to get the ad taken off.

Spicygirl
03-21-2010, 12:29 PM
I got nothin'! I don't know what is causing it to be flagged!

You aren't posting it in two locations? (Overpost).

You're in the right category? (Rentals, correct geographic location?)

I'd probably try again with a note,

"This ad was flagged previously, I'm not sure why. Please email me."

KHM, I only posted one ad and it was flagged the first time I posted it. I posted a second time, which was flagged also, but I don't think this could be considered overposting.

Also, I verified that I posted in the correct category.

Maybe I'll try your suggestion about asking for an email explanation of why my ad is getting flagged. IMHO, this should be a requirement. I've never heard of anything so ridiculous as people being allowed to flag an ad and get it removed without any explanation as to why. I'm sure some ads flagrantly violate the CL guidelines, but my ad was very straightforward and noncontroversial.

ewpmsw
03-21-2010, 12:29 PM
I had an identical experience to OP when I tried to post an ad for jeans and a separate want ad for plate holders about a year and a half ago. I triple checked both and they conformed to the rules. It was too much of a PITB for what I was trying to accomplish, so I gave up. I've been told since then that some people just flag to be P's ITA, or because they're your competition. It's still not worth the hassle to me and I'm not the bravest type of internet seller, so I Freecycle or post on a local Moms' board. I know a SAHM who makes decent money selling stuff from yard sales etc. on Craigslist and she says she's never been flagged. If I ever had anything big to sell or find, I'd probably ask her for help.

khm
03-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Yeah, like I said, I don't see anything. Just asking after stuff we can't see. :)

Usually, there is something you can see that sets people off (rightly or wrongly), too vague, just sounds "fishy" (rightly or wrongly), old car seats, etc. But yours? I don't see any issue!

Spicygirl
03-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Someone suggested that I didn't include enough detail, such as square footage and deposit amount. I checked a lot of other ads in my category, and they didn't include those things either, but they were not flagged. Besides, would the lack of those little details really warrant numerous people flagging your ad? I included pics of the house, and anyway, wouldn't someone who was interested call to find out any further info? Someone on CL also told me "That's the price you pay for a free ad." Huh? I know it's free, but it is supposed to work, and how is anybody going to be able to use it if ads keep getting pulled randomly, seemingly at some troll's whim? Arrrgggg....