PDA

View Full Version : Shorts

kristac
03-21-2010, 02:01 PM
What length shorts do you wear?

What length shorts are appropriate for a mother of 3 in her early 30's (body issues aside)?

Here's some examples:
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=35158

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
03-21-2010, 02:33 PM
I like the 7" shorts from ON. (size up one size). I'm 5'4", 29.5" inseam, and the 9.5" shorts hit me just above my knee. My calves are not the most flattering, so I thought this called attention to them. I prefer to show a little more leg, as I think it makes me look taller. I used to wear their 5" shorts, but feel like I'm getting a bit old for that. (I'm 36, 3 kids).

--Jennifer

TwinFoxes
03-21-2010, 02:40 PM
My 3" inseam days are looooong gone, and sadly I have to face facts that 5" is only appropriate on the tennis court (for me). I think the 7" are best. But I think if you've got nice legs, 5" are fine for someone in their early 30s, or 40s for that matter (have you seen Jennifer Aniston's legs???)

ilfaith
03-21-2010, 09:20 PM
I find 5" inseam shorts work best for me. I am only 5'2" and find most Bermuda-length shorts are too long and make me look dumpy. I'm typically a size 2 but my legs are not as toned as they could be, so a 3" inseam is a bit short for me...and at 40 I think I'm a bit old for short shorts.

wellyes
03-21-2010, 09:31 PM
I like 11 inch or capris because I am too lazy to sunscreen all my legs! But around the house or at the beach I do have some 5 inch shorts and I'm not embarrassed to be seen by the neighbors in them.

What length shorts are appropriate for a mother of 3 in her early 30's (body issues aside)?
Honestly, I don't know if I can completely separate body issues. If I were Heidi Klum (40ish and 4-5 kids) I'd rock those short shorts.

smiles33
03-21-2010, 10:01 PM
I'm in my early 30s, too (but with 2 kids) and 5" is the shortest I'd go. I happen to like my legs (and thankfully, don't have cellulite issues) but I think it's more dressing age-appropriately. The 3" inseams make me think of high school and college girls!

But even with 5" inseams, I'd only wear those to the beach or a sporting event. If I'm going to any casual work-related events, I'd go more conservative with the 7".

giavila
03-22-2010, 12:04 AM
34 yrs and mom of 3.. I think my legs are pretty decent. I usually go with the 7" or 9 1/2". 7" if I'm going to the beach, etc and the 9 1/2 for everyday. Just like the pp mentioned.. it's more about being age appropriate. When I put anything shorter on (although I don't look bad) I just don't feel right.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-25-2010, 10:42 AM
ok i guess i'm really bad, i'm 31 and i ALL my shorts have 3" inseam. i have a squishy tummy but i'm a legs-up-to-my-chin kind of person (i'm only 5'5.5", but wear 32" inseam pants), so when i wear shorts i look much, much thinner & taller than i really am. also with shorts i don't think anything longer looks good on me. though DH hates it whenever i wear shorts (he calls them "Daisy Dukes", lol).

twowhat?
03-25-2010, 02:36 PM
I love bermuda shorts.

g-mama
03-25-2010, 02:44 PM
5" is usually what I stick with. I'm only 5'2" thought so that factors in. Sometimes longer ones make me look shorter and frumpy, but I do have a couple pairs that are probably 7-8" that look good.

Definitely not 3" or, God forbid, 1" for a mom of three who is 40 (me).

elektra
03-25-2010, 03:26 PM
I hate shorts personally because I do not have good legs, IMO. They are also very white. So I usually do long shorts. I have long legs and I think I pull off the long shorts ok
But if I had the legs I would wear much shorter shorts. I think they can look really nice and tasteful still. I especially like the fancy ones that are cut like trousers- just not on me!

BeachBum
03-25-2010, 05:06 PM
I wear 5", but never tight. I'm a size 8/10 and 5'9".
I'm a SAHM, so it's playground wear for me all the way.
When I wear longer shorts I feel like I have shoe issues. I feel like flats or flops make me look frumpy. If I wear longer shorts I need taller shoes.
I'm 33, mom to 3 kids FWIW.

AnnieW625
03-25-2010, 06:43 PM
ok i guess i'm really bad, i'm 31 and i ALL my shorts have 3" inseam. i have a squishy tummy but i'm a legs-up-to-my-chin kind of person (i'm only 5'5.5", but wear 32" inseam pants), so when i wear shorts i look much, much thinner & taller than i really am. also with shorts i don't think anything longer looks good on me. though DH hates it whenever i wear shorts (he calls them "Daisy Dukes", lol).

This is me too (same height/inseam lengthn). I don't think I own a pair of shorts that are more than 5" because anything longer like Bermudas cut me in half and they look horrible on me. I do really like capris though and those look okay because they usually hit at the calf so enough is covered that doesn't make me look cut in half.

Nooknookmom
04-09-2010, 08:05 PM
I'm not good w/ measurements but my favorites are about 3-4" above my knee and are from Hollister. They are incredibly soft and wear very well.

Nordstrom, Tilly's and Pac Sun usually have some cute ones as well but not as soft!

I so cannot wear the super short ones, I never really did anyway. I hate my legs and always get a razor rash after I shave. I need extra material to hide it!