PDA

View Full Version : CA car seat saferty laws

Ona
03-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Hello! I have read the law and I've read several threads about this topic on various message boards. I just want to double check. Children must use a booster seat until they are either 6 years old or they weigh 60 pounds? Must the child fulfill both requirements --over the age of 6 and over 60 lbs-- or is it whichever requirement they reach first?
Thank you so much for clarifying this.

lorinick
03-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Wow! Not from CA, but that law is low. NJ is 8 or 80lb.. Alot of CA mom's on here. Someone will get back to you soon. I'm interested to here what it is.

KrisM
03-21-2010, 06:02 PM
With the "or" in it, it's whichever comes first.

However, most kids aren't tall enough to be without a booster until 9 or 10 or even older. They need to pass the 5-step test:

1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm?
4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?
5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

If the child can't do all 5, then he/she should still be in a booster.

Nooknookmom
06-04-2010, 12:12 AM
With the "or" in it, it's whichever comes first.

However, most kids aren't tall enough to be without a booster until 9 or 10 or even older. They need to pass the 5-step test:

1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm?
4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?
5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

If the child can't do all 5, then he/she should still be in a booster.

:yeahthat:

Please make sure that all criteria are met before ditching that booster!

I'm in CA, when my oldest DD was entering first grade, the law just changed to 6 or 60 from "4/40" (YIKES!).

Most of the parents were like "yay no more booster" but many of them did not test the kiddo's to see if the above criteria were met. I saw lots and lots of little necks being hit straight across by the adult seatbelt. Most of the children were way too short, unable to sit correctly, etc. to be without that booster.

FWIW my DD was harnessed in a Husky (Regent predecessor) until she was 80 lbs, and 9 years old. Then she moved to a booster w/ adult seatbelt.

HTH

cath_b
06-04-2010, 12:29 AM
CA car seat law is 6 years old or at least 60 lbs (as of 2005).

Here is a link: CHP - Child Safety Seat Laws (http://www.chp.ca.gov/community/pdf/ca_vr_laws.pdf)