PDA

View Full Version : Help! Puked-on Radian. Can it be salvaged?

WatchingThemGrow
03-21-2010, 08:16 PM
DS1 was complaining about not getting to ride his bike tonight when we got back from Costco. Mid-sentence, all the pizza came back up. It seemed like all the pizza the whole family ate. DH is trying to get the cover off, and he swears the bottom of the cover will not come off and the straps do not come out. True? He says we should just trash it and buy one more Marathon (a fifth one) since we've dealt with many a puked-on MA. Actually, we have one of those in the cleaning stages also from DS2. Does the cover come completely off? Do we do the scrub the straps ON the seat with a soapy brush thing?

And some friends (w/o children) asked today what we do with our time these days, LOL! :hysterical:

o_mom
03-21-2010, 08:21 PM
The cover does come off - there are two plastic buttons on the sides, toward the back that are a total pitb to remove. A butter knife is useful for those.

The straps... welllll that depends on how old the seat is. I know mine from 2007-ish don't remove, but that was changed at some point. I can't say exactly when, but check your manual and look on the sides for a small cover with a screw to remove and access the ends of the straps (you can order a new one). If not, wipe the straps with a dilute mild detergent solution and air dry. If they do remove, a quick rinse and air dry. Do not soak, use harsh cleaners or machine wash/dry. ETA: The puke smell usually fades after a week or so.

alexsmommy
03-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Did you x-post with carseats?
I don't know about the cover, but I know when this happened with our Regent the straps had to stay installed, but the cover did come off with much manuervering Thank goodness for the recommendations I found on here for Natures Miracle. It was a miracle. The straps were disgusting, but a good soaking and sitting the sun and they were as good as new. Good luck.

hillview
03-21-2010, 08:23 PM
. ETA: The puke smell usually fades after a week or so.
:yeahthat:
So sorry.

/hillary

Indianamom2
03-21-2010, 08:24 PM
:hug:I am so sorry. I'm literally right there with you.

It stinks. Literally.

DrSally
03-21-2010, 08:29 PM
If the straps come off, another option if you really can't stand it or can't get them clean is to get a new harnass. Britax sent me a new harnass for my FR b/c it was having issues. That would prob be cheaper than replacing the seat. So sorry.

WatchingThemGrow
03-21-2010, 08:41 PM
If the straps come off, another option if you really can't stand it or can't get them clean is to get a new harnass. Britax sent me a new harnass for my FR b/c it was having issues. That would prob be cheaper than replacing the seat. So sorry.
I'm pretty certain that isn't an option with the Radian, esp. this one. It is from 2007 I'm pretty sure. He remembers trying to get the straps off before and the stitching on the end of the straps makes it impossible to slide the buckle off.

DH is holding a screwdriver to the thing pretending to stab the seat, "Life is already hard enough...we don't need to deal with carseats like this... argh...It's just $200, totally not worth the time it takes to clean it... oh, if you only paid $150 for it, it's totally not worth it...." But he got the cover off, and we'll tackle the straps still on the seat. All I can say is, thank the LORD we have 6 seats and still have enough to put in my van so we can leave the house (and the puke smell) tomorrow.

Thanks for your help, guys! o_mom, you are always great to save the day!!!

dcmom2b3
03-21-2010, 08:44 PM
:hug:I am so sorry. I'm literally right there with you.

It stinks. Literally.

:hug:Me too. I likely will have to order new foam and a new buckle to salvage our Maxi-Cosi mess.

I bought a Scenera today as a stop-gap, since (for once), I am slated to drive DD to school this week. Great timing . . .

DrSally
03-21-2010, 08:50 PM
Glad you have extra seats. At least you can keep the other one in the garage until the puke smell goes away. I totally understand about hating to spend all that time cleaning something with all those cracks and crevices. Oh, the misery.

kwc
03-22-2010, 12:54 AM
Sorry you are going through this.

DD has puked on her Radian at least 3 times and DS 4 times on his (sometimes both kids on the same trip) so I have disassembled them many times, including at Disneyland Hotel. We now fly everywhere rather than taking car rides. And I keep a bottle of Nature's Miracle or other "pet cleaner" in my car.

The straps do not come out on ours (2008 Radian 65). I hosed the whole plastic shell/ foam and straps down in the yard/ hotel tubs and soak them/ scrub with shampoo or mild detergent... so darn heavy! The smell does get better (esp. after a day in the sun) but unfortunately the grooves in the chest clips really really trap puke so get in there with toothbrush and toothpicks. Be sure to send a hose or shower spray into the area below the seat from the side and where the crotch strap enters.

Like the PP said, the bottom does come out if you find the two black plastic pins (shaped like a thick thumbtack) that pin it to the seat base on the sides near where the seat back connects. I have never had to use (or had) a screwdriver so I just pulled my fingers around the fabric to loosen (at risk of ripping, I imagine) and then pried off with my nails. Be careful not to lose them! And if you have had to remove the cover under duress many times, they get easier to pry off :P
Also note that the top cover snaps to the bottom with some ridiculous industrial snaps.

I soak the covers in Nature's Miracle, then hand or machine washed and line dried (cannot be machine dried unlike Britax). They look surprisingly good and are stink free... really it's the straps and the buckle/ clips that are a $%#*!!!!

WatchingThemGrow
03-22-2010, 07:21 AM
Like the PP said, the bottom does come out if you find the two black plastic pins (shaped like a thick thumbtack) that pin it to the seat base on the sides near where the seat back connects. I have never had to use (or had) a screwdriver so I just pulled my fingers around the fabric to loosen (at risk of ripping, I imagine) and then pried off with my nails. Be careful not to lose them! And if you have had to remove the cover under duress many times, they get easier to pry off :P
Also note that the top cover snaps to the bottom with some ridiculous industrial snaps.

I soak the covers in Nature's Miracle, then hand or machine washed and line dried (cannot be machine dried unlike Britax). They look surprisingly good and are stink free... really it's the straps and the buckle/ clips that are a $%#*!!!!
If we'd been at a hotel, DH would have just gone to buy a new seat. Why do they have to have those weird snap things? They were included in his rant. I scrubbed the cover in the tub, and it is stretched out in the carport to dry, except that it is raining today, lol.

DS1 has been a travel-puker many times before, but DH has NEVER complained about cleaning a Marathon at BIL's house, my dad's house, my mom's house (2x), plus several times at home. Note to self- order another set of Marathon straps TODAY. We need to have the cover AND the straps to make a quick n easy change!