PDA

View Full Version : What toys would you get in this situation?

o_mom
03-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Say you have six kids age 2yo-9yo, baby on the way. Space is tight and they have no existing toys. Mix of boys and girls. What would you get as the most open-ended, multi-age, space conserving toys in this situation?

Needs to be inexpensive or common enough that they could be easily obtained second-hand. Could be more than one thing - say 1-2 things for the older ones, 1-2 for younger ones.

SnuggleBuggles
03-21-2010, 08:29 PM
I'd probably do something like 2 puzzles, 24pc for the little ones and more pieces for the big kids.

Beth

DrSally
03-21-2010, 08:36 PM
Container of Duplos on CL? Both DD and DS enjoy these and I got 300 for $30 and put in an IKEA container.
Container with crayons, markers, paper, scissors, glue, stickers.

Momof3Labs
03-22-2010, 12:05 AM
Agree with the art supplies. Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars are a constant around here with both of my boys, and are pretty compact and inexpensive.

egoldber
03-22-2010, 07:16 AM
a dollhouse/firehouse/schoolhouse (whichever is considered most boy friendly ;) ) and figures/dolls to go with it

plastic animals of all types (brands like Safari, Schleich, Papo), TRU has bins of them

Duplos

stuffed animals and/or dolls

vehicles, including some large enough to hold above animals/dolls

art supplies

hillview
03-22-2010, 07:18 AM
Books? I agree with pp matchbox cars are a hit here always. I'd say magnatiles but they are $$$$$$$. A game like Zingo?
/hillary

WatchingThemGrow
03-22-2010, 07:24 AM
A play kitchen would a) enable the bigger kids to stand and play, and the youngers could play on the ground with the accessories.

Melaine
03-22-2010, 07:39 AM
I like the idea of Duplos and Schleich animals.

We gave Oballs to the nieces and nephews and they went over very well for all ages.

o_mom
03-22-2010, 07:41 AM
I knew you guys would have great ideas!

I forgot to mention that there is no english spoken in the house at this point, so books may not work, but would have been a great choice. Zingo I'll have to think on if it requires more english than they have (on sale this week at Target).

I'm thinking Duplos from CL and maybe some of the animal toobs from Michaels w/coupon to start (don't think I can afford Schleich). Connect4 might be easy enough for the older ones to pick up on and it is $3 at Target this week. I'll check on which ages are boys and I'm sure we can think our Matchbox herd without anyone even noticing, lol. I may even have a spare car mat that I can put with them.

egoldber
03-22-2010, 07:47 AM
Zingo I'll have to think on if it requires more english than they have (on sale this week at Target).

There is a Spanish version of Zingo, if the language is Spanish. But non-reading kids play it just fine by looking at the pictures. :)

ETA: And card games are a hit with almost all ages.

Seitvonzu
03-22-2010, 07:47 AM
if you really want to throw in a book,how about a book like "ZOOM"-- it's wordless and kids love it :) (the picture constantly is ZOOMING in...they could talk about it in their native language) it's also advanced enough to be interesting for the older kids.

really any picture book can be done this way, but sometimes it's easier if the words aren't there intimidating you. another book is "tuesday" (big clock on the front? something like that....)-- i'm pretty sure that's all pictures. a bookstore probably could help you with this!

Melaine
03-22-2010, 07:48 AM
Ohhhh Magnadoodles.

o_mom
03-22-2010, 08:07 AM
There is a Spanish version of Zingo, if the language is Spanish. But non-reading kids play it just fine by looking at the pictures. :)

Not Spanish, which would have made things easier. I know my kids get kind of loud with Zingo and they are in an apartment... would that be a problem? It might help the reading as well (all the school age ones are enrolled, but it's going to take time).

Ohhhh Magnadoodles.

Oh, yes! I'll stalk the Easter clearance at Target for these. Why is it that every other post mentions Target? :ROTFLMAO:

Melaine
03-22-2010, 08:08 AM
Because Target is the bestest.

DrSally
03-22-2010, 10:31 AM
I think the duplos will be a hit. Connect 4 at $3 would be great. Even the younger ones who don't know how to play enjoy putting the checkers in and dumping them out. I like the idea of getting some magnadoodles on Easter clearance at Target. I agree with pp, if they don't have any stuffed animals/blankies, a little one for each would be nice.