PDA

View Full Version : Any rabbit owners out there?

ewpmsw
03-21-2010, 09:00 PM
We have a 3 yo male bunny. He has never been a lap bunny and pretty much prefers DH/men to me (chief feeder, groomer, litter-pan-changer, cage-cleaner, etc.) DH and I used to spend an hour each night sitting on the dining room floor with him hopping around us, and DH would have him out in the mornings while he was getting ready for work. The rest of the time, the rabbit could see/hear us from his run in the dining room, which has since been moved. Since DD was born, we've spent less and less time with him. He lives in our sun room and comes inside to a quiet back room when it's too hot/cold to leave him out there. I feel so bad for neglecting him, but he isn't really a social bunny. He jumps and grunts at everyone and the farm has offered to "swap him out" when we've described his behavior. (No way, he's family now.) He has a cage inside a 12 foot run made from play yard fencing, fresh food and water, lots of toys. I visit him a few times a day for a few minutes and pet him when he'll let me. He is afraid to be outside and hasn't been acclimatized to hot/cold weather. We don't allow him to run loose b/c he chews and it's too risky for him and our house.

We are going to turn the sun room into a play room for DD (22 mos). Do you think she would be too disruptive for him? He'd still be in his run and thus out reach. When she visits him, he's always interested in her and follows her along the side of his cage or run. I'm hoping that being in the sun room more often would provide more opportunity to socialize with him.