PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED in POST #15 Results in OP - Shameless Request for P&PT: Endoscopy for DD2

Melbel
03-21-2010, 11:24 PM
UPDATE: We received the biopsy results today. The nurse stated that the results were inconclusive. Grrrr. We are understandably frustrated by the lack of answers. I was in tears as the nurse gave me the news. How can we help her if we cannot figure out the source of her still severe reflux? We will have a follow up appointment with both the pedi GI and the allergist/immunologist in a few weeks. We will keep searching for answers because it is so difficult to see your little one in pain, unable to sleep or eat normally. On a positive note, today she finally wanted to eat, and could keep down a reasonable amount of solids. Sigh. Thank you again for the support!

Unfortunately, DD2's severe reflux is still a problem at 21 months, reeking havoc on her eating/sleeping. After delaying for several months, DD2 has her endoscopy tomorrow morning under general anesthesia. She must fast starting at midnight, clear liquids til 4 AM then nothing until the 8 AM procedure. I am anxious about the 2+ hours from when we leave for the hospital and when they start the procedure. It's not as though I can rationalize with her as to why she cannot have her morning milk (actually formula for added nutrition since she frequently refuses solids when her reflux is flared up). I am also anxious about putting her under general anesthesia even though I have BTDT with DS (tonsils/adenoids) and DD1 (ear tubes).

I just hope and pray that we finally find a way to help ease her symptoms. I have not slept through the night in well over 2 years now. I am exhausted and feel frustrated that we have yet to figure out how to better help her (other than medicating her around the clock with Zegerid).

We would sincerely appreciate any positive thoughts and prayers.

KpbS
03-21-2010, 11:27 PM
P+PT for you and your DC. We have gone through this 3 times with DS1. :hug: Feel free to pm me if you want.

Are they doing an upper and a lower? (Does she have any lower gi symptoms?) I'll be praying that it goes very smoothly and you get some answers.

Melbel
03-21-2010, 11:36 PM
P+PT for you and your DC. We have gone through this 3 times with DS1. :hug: Feel free to pm me if you want.

Are they doing an upper and a lower? (Does she have any lower gi symptoms?) I'll be praying that it goes very smoothly and you get some answers.

3x! Yikes. I hope your DS is doing better now.

I am pretty sure that it will only be an upper GI. She has occasional constipation, but otherwise uneventful on the lower end.

How long should the endoscopy take? What were they able to see/tell from the procedure? We had allergy testing (negative) and stool testing (negative for blood) as well as a barium swallow in the first year. We kept hoping that she would grow out of the reflux after she started walking, but we have seen little improvement.

Are there any particular questions I should ask? Feel free to PM me if you do not want to post details online. TIA!

pinkmomagain
03-21-2010, 11:38 PM
Sending positive thoughts your way that dd's procedure goes smoothly and you get the answers you need!

gatorsmom
03-21-2010, 11:41 PM
Sending p and pt your way. Wow, you really HAVe had a rough past 2 years. I remember some of your previous posts. :hug:

BabyMine
03-21-2010, 11:47 PM
P&PT coming your way. TT is still on Zegerid and hopefully will be able to be free from it soon.

KpbS
03-21-2010, 11:50 PM
How long should the endoscopy take? What were they able to see/tell from the procedure? We had allergy testing (negative) and stool testing (negative for blood) as well as a barium swallow in the first year. We kept hoping that she would grow out of the reflux after she started walking, but we have seen little improvement.

Are there any particular questions I should ask? Feel free to PM me if you do not want to post details online. TIA!

The endoscopy itself is very quick. You go back with your DC while they wait for anaesthesia to come by and speak with your DC. They most likely will give her some medicine to relax before the anaesthesia and then they will take her back for the procedure. Then you will wait for 10-15 minutes until the procedure is completed and most likely will be able to speak to the physician then.

I'll PM you with more details.

MamaMolly
03-21-2010, 11:51 PM
Huge hugs, P and PT. I'm so sorry, Mama. DD was on Zantac for over 2 years, the ped kept trying to wean her off but it was making her too miserable, so we waited and waited. I guess she was around 2.5 that I noticed that I was skipping doses (because the screaming stopped so it wasn't reminding me) and we finally stopped.

Putting your DCs under is hard, no matter how many times you've been through it.
:grouphug:

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-22-2010, 12:20 AM
:grouphug: Good Luck to you and DD. I hope all goes well!

citymama
03-22-2010, 01:38 AM
Sending lots of P&PT your way and your DD's. Hope all goes well - keep us posted. Sorry this is such a stressful time, but hopefully the test will go smoothly and quickly.

LexyLou
03-22-2010, 03:17 AM
Thinking of you.

We did this with our DD1 when she was 8 months old. It's hard when you can't find the cause of their pain! It really wasn't that bad of a procedure (for us). Good luck!

jgenie
03-22-2010, 04:22 AM
:hug: P & PT that all goes well and they find answers for you. :hug:

JTsMom
03-22-2010, 08:38 AM
Sending P&PT your way. :hug:

Not that it compares with having to go through it with a child, but I had an upper endo done recently, and it was a walk in the park, just to give a first-hand account.

ThreeofUs
03-22-2010, 09:31 AM
P&PT to you guys. I'm sure the endo will go quickly and well (I have a DN who has gone through 1 or 2 a YEAR, with nary a problem), but I wish you all the best.

Have you ruled out milk as a contributing factor?

Melbel
03-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the P&PT and BTDT support. After only 2 hours of sleep and many hours of fussy kids (mine and others), I am happy to have DD2 resting comfortably at home. She woke up at 3:30 AM and did not quite understand that she could not have her bottle for about 6-7 more hours. Overall, the initial test results were normal other than many nodular mucosa in the duodenal bulb (part of the small intestine). We will get the biopsy results back on Thursday. Per our pedi GI, the nodules could be normal for her (naturally enlarged) or be caused by either a prolonged infection or allergic reaction. Fortunately, there was not any scarring or ulcers from the acid reflux.

While BF, I did an elimination diet for all common allergens, she was allergy tested (blood) and stool tests for blood were all negative. She has shown a sensitivity to dairy following her two prolonged stomach bugs.

The Zegerid definitely helps control the reflux. When she is arching and refluxing when trying to sleep, the Zegerid works pretty quickly to ease her symptoms. When she experiences a flare up, however, she will refuse all solids (including favorite snacks/treats) for days at a time (sometimes tasting the favorite food on her tongue before whimpering and refusing). I really hope we can figure this out!

Thanks again for the support. I truly do appreciate it, especially when I was feeling so anxious last night.

JTsMom
03-22-2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the update, and congratulations on making it through. NPO is SO hard with little ones. The stress that alone causes is enough to drive you batty.

catpagmo
03-22-2010, 02:50 PM
Oh, poor thing. Glad to hear she is doing well after the proceedure. I hope the doctor can find some relief for her soon.

KpbS
03-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Thank you for the update! Glad it went well and hope you can get some rest. :hug:

ThreeofUs
03-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Glad to hear all's well, but poor little one! Sounds like she (and you!) have really been going through it. Hope the results help you pinpoint the cause.

goldenpig
03-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Late to this thread, but I'm so glad your DD did well. Reflux is so tough, esp when everyone says they'll grow out of it at 1 year and they don't, and when it interferes with their sleep and eating and growth. So time consuming and guilt inducing too, if you know what I mean. My daughter had silent reflux and was a poor eater and poor sleeper and on meds till she was two, and still is very petite (<1% for weight), but doing much better now. Good luck and hope you find some answers from the test and that she gets better soon. I assume you know about the PAGER forum, I found that helpful:
http://www.reflux.org/

ArizonaGirl
03-23-2010, 01:53 AM
I am a little late to this thread too. We just did this with DS and the endoscopy went fine. We had a high fever (104) several hours after and then ended up in the ER (where incidentally all of us caught the stomache flu) another story for another day.

I have definitely BTDT. My son is 15months old today and just started taking naps longer than 20 minutes not on someone two weeks ago when we switched from the prevacid solutabs to the capsules (you can open them). He is still very tiny at only 19 lbs and 27 inches at 15 months, so we still struggle with that.

If you need to talk you can PM me.

Hope you find a solution for everyone to get more sleep :boogie:

Melbel
03-25-2010, 11:19 PM
I am a little late to this thread too. We just did this with DS and the endoscopy went fine. We had a high fever (104) several hours after and then ended up in the ER (where incidentally all of us caught the stomache flu) another story for another day.

I have definitely BTDT. My son is 15months old today and just started taking naps longer than 20 minutes not on someone two weeks ago when we switched from the prevacid solutabs to the capsules (you can open them). He is still very tiny at only 19 lbs and 27 inches at 15 months, so we still struggle with that.

If you need to talk you can PM me.

Hope you find a solution for everyone to get more sleep :boogie:

:grouphug: to you. I feel your pain!! Fortunately, DD2's weight is not bad (one benefit of silent reflux, I guess).