PDA

View Full Version : Please help me pack (before I go insane)

jayali
03-22-2010, 08:20 AM
We are going on a cruise which leaves next Saturday. We will spend two days at Universal before we leave. I have packed, repacked and packed again. I just can't seem to figure out what to bring. The fact that I am major PMS may be contributing or it could be that i had to go out and buy all new clothes thanks to the 10 pounds I gained during the winter (which is slowly coming off).

I have been on cruises before and have been to the parks before, but for some reason, can't seem to get my act together as to what to bring.

Here is what I am thinking for the Cruise:
3 swimsuits
3 cover-ups
3 pair nice shorts
4-5 tee shirts (casual shirts)
1 dress
1 skirt - with sweater set
3 pair of casual pants
3 sweater (nice tops for evening)
1 pair dress sandals
1 pair flats
1 pair flip flops
sneakers
work out clothes

I figured I would pack accordingly for son and husband. My only issue with son is that he will more then likely go to the kids program (disney cruise) so I figured he would need more shorts and tee shirts to attend that as I don't want him to be in his bathing suit all day.

My husband is bringing his blue blazer, 1 tie, 2 pair dress pants and two dress shirts. Will that be sufficient dress wear. He is also bringing kahkis and button downs for the casual nights.

HELP ME PLEASE! I am ready to cry. Obviously the PMS kicking in. If you mommas validate my list I will feel so much better.

TIA

TwinFoxes
03-22-2010, 08:34 AM
I think it looks pretty good. I personally pack light, so you have more stuff than I would take. Are you really going to work out? I know I'd talk a good game, but there's no way I would. I wouldn't take three bathings suits and cover ups, I'd probably take two suits and one cover up.

Are you wearing the sweaters with the casual pants for evenings? I'd probably loose the a pair of casual pants for a dressier pair, for the evening that DH wore the blazer. But maybe that's what the dress is for? I'm not a big sweater person, so I'd probably trade the sweaters for a dressy tops, but that's just me.

But honestly, I think the list works fine. Are you trying to pack lighter, or you're checking to make sure you have everything?

jayali
03-22-2010, 10:48 AM
Thank you so much for the input. I am trying to pack light, but make sure that we are appropriately attired for evenings.

The dress is for "formal night". DH will wear blazer and tie, DS will wear a suit.
For semi-formal night I will wear the skirt and sweater set. I will probably re-use the sweater set on "casual nights" with a pair of pants.

Our travel agent recommended multiple swimsuits and cover-ups because she said we will live in our suits. I might go down to two suits, but keep the three cover-ups.

I will work out, if I don't then this additional weight won't come off and I AM DETERMINED TO BE THINNER by summer. I can't stand myself. Only bringing 2 sets and they fold small.

UGGHHHH - I swear it is the PMS that is making me CRAZY. Of course I have to pack for that too - piss me off.

kristenk
03-22-2010, 10:56 AM
How many days/nights is the cruise? I might have missed it in the post, but I don't see that info.

3blackcats
03-22-2010, 12:17 PM
We've done a few 7 day cruises.
I really can't stand formal night :)

We were on a Princess cruise. In the evenings, (not formal night) we just wore khakis/polo shirts. And we just rewore everything. You are only it for a couple of hours. During the day/port days you are in shorts/t-shirts. I would count my workout clothes as an outfit. I just took a pair of Adidas capris pants and wore those during the day.

I'm a light packer. I just wore flip flops when I could and sneakers the rest of the time and of course crocs around the pool. I only took one bathing suit. I did not pack fancy shoes at all - on the 3 cruises we have done, lol.

Don't forget to take some kind of backpack for DS to take with him when he does the kids activities.

Oh, don't pack pool/beach towels. They will be in your room for you.

jayali
03-22-2010, 03:59 PM
We are going on a seven night cruise, but will be in Universal for the two night leading up to the cruise, so 9 nights all together. I am packing our carry on for Universal - I am good there. It is the cruise that has me crazed.

I think that I hate Formal night as well. Will people really show up in gowns and tuxes? I can't imagine. DH owns a tux and I own a fair number of black tie appropriate dresses, but it never crossed my mind to bring them. Heck DH isn't even bringing a suit and I had to sneak the tie into the suitcase.

I haven't been on a cruise in almost 20 years and can't for the life of me remember what people wore. I still think I will be in a swimsuit most days.

Thanks for the feed back so far - feel free to add more.

TwinFoxes
03-22-2010, 04:11 PM
I've only been on one cruise, and there were a lot of people in tuxes/gowns. DH wore a tux, and I wore a black tie appropriate cocktail dress. But there were plenty of people not in tuxes, I seem to remember most women were in cocktail dresses, or more casual dresses that were long.

Do you HAVE to do formal night if you hate it? Aren't there other options?

I loved formal night. I love dressing up :) Plus we have to get our money's worth out of DHs tux!

3blackcats
03-22-2010, 05:07 PM
On Formal night we didn't eat in the dining rooms, we ate at the buffet. Then just wore khakis/skirt/polo to the theatre. We just avoid the formal activities.

You will see people dressed up and those in part type dresses. Some women even have their full jewelry on. It's just too much for me.