PDA

View Full Version : Anyone switch from Vista to Windows 7?

infomama
03-22-2010, 09:39 AM
I have Vista on my laptop and I'm really dislike it. Wondering if anyone has installed Windows 7 on a computer that was previously running Vista. How did the transition go? Are you glad you did it?

BillK
03-22-2010, 09:59 AM
Yes - I just did an upgrade on my wife's PC from Vista 64bit to Win7 Home Premium 64bit. It was a "free" upgrade from HP since her machine was purchased shortly after Win7 was announce.

The upgrade went very smoothly with no hitches - just took a while (like 2-3 hours). We're very happy with Win7. The only issue we had with software she already had was her Garmin Training Center for her Garmin ForeRunner workout gps thinger. I need to uninstall/reinstall that.

I also changed my home PC from WinXP sp3 to Win7 Pro 64bit - which requires a wipe/reinstall as there's no direct upgrade path from XP to Win7. Again - very very happy with Win7. Much snappier.

Keep in mind - you really should have 3-4gb of RAM to run Win7 (or Vista for that matter) - regardless of what Micro$oft's "minimum specs" are.

infomama
03-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Thanks Bill. I don't think I can get the free upgrade...missed out by about 6 months. Glad to hear your upgrade went well. Vista was really a miss.

Neatfreak
03-22-2010, 10:04 AM
We did, about three months ago. I remember that the install process did take awhile! The menu is organized a bit differently, but it's not hard to figure out. The only thing that still stumps me is that Windows 7 does not recognize our printer. That one drives me mad, actually.

I am not really sure if our upgrade was necessary, or if we've gained anything from it. Vista never gave us any problems, to tell the truth.

caleymama
03-22-2010, 12:22 PM
I didn't actually switch one machine, but my new desktop (purchased in Dec) runs Windows 7 and I really like it. My previous, now dead desktop ran XP and our laptop runs Vista. I never cared for vista at all and was so-so on XP. Windows 7 is a welcome change.

wellyes
03-22-2010, 12:43 PM
We did. VAST improvement!

infomama
03-25-2010, 12:01 PM
OK..upgrading this weekend. A little nervous that everything goes to plan but if it does I'm sure I will glad I did it.