PDA

View Full Version : Keep the milk or pitch it?

Fairy
03-22-2010, 11:25 AM
"We" forgot 3 brand new bottles of Oberweis milk in the car overnight last night. It was about 30 degrees outside overnight, the garage is always a 5-10 degrees warmer than it is outside. I hate milk, so I really don't want to taste it. Once I open it, I know sour when i smell it, so that will be an obvious indicator that it's gone bad. But sometimes it's on its way to bad but you can't smell it yet. WWYD, keep it or pitch it? I've asked four people IRL, and they're evenly split.

Tondi G
03-22-2010, 11:28 AM
for me it would be a taste test. Chances are it might be fine. can you put it in your fridge and let DH do a taste test when he comes home?

SnuggleBuggles
03-22-2010, 11:30 AM
I'd keep it. Sounds like it was in an ok place overnight.

Beth

Fairy
03-22-2010, 11:31 AM
for me it would be a taste test. Chances are it might be fine. can you put it in your fridge and let DH do a taste test when he comes home?

DH comes home on Thursday :wink2: Did you notice that I said "we" in quotes? Um-hmm. Anyhoodle. I will taste it if it comes down to it, but there are three of them, and the thought of drinking a sip of milk that doesn't contain cereal is just yuck for me, so trying to avoid it. I think what I might do is just compromise and open ONE for DS, and then pitch the rest. And we don't have to tell DH about this little talk we're havng m'kay?

alexsmommy
03-22-2010, 11:34 AM
I'd keep it. I doubt the delivery boxes are much colder than what it was outside last night.

arivecchi
03-22-2010, 11:35 AM
It was cold last night. My guess is it is probably fine but I'd do a taste test. I'd open one and taste it so your Ds can use that milk and have DH taste the other two when he comes home. That milk is so expensive I could not just throw it away!

caleymama
03-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Sounds fine to me, but obviously if it's off when you open it then pitch it. If it was kept at 35-40 degrees or so it's comparable to your fridge.

Our milk is delivered overnight one weeknight and it's in the driveway in a cooler (w/o ice) for several hours from the wee hours of the morning until I retrieve it around 7:30am. In the heat of the summer I'll put some ice packs in the empty cooler when I set it out the night before but most of the year it's out there w/o ice and is always fine.

ThreeofUs
03-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Your fridge only keeps things at 42F, Hil. Keep the milk, it's been cool enough that bacteria couldn't grow quickly enough to spoil it.

If you're skeeved about it, use it for making pudding or cooking something that would kill any bacteria.

Melaine
03-22-2010, 01:48 PM
I bet it's fine, and I wouldn't be concerned as long as it doesn't taste or smell off.

Fairy
03-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Ok, ya'll convinced me. I'll keep it unless it smells stinky. Thanks!

Kestrel
03-22-2010, 03:38 PM
One minior thing to add...

The warmer the temp, the shorter time it lasts. (We keep our fridge at 38) So, it might not last as long as usual, so try to use it up quickly.