PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for managing leg/feet swelling during pregnancy?

creativelightbulb
03-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Good Morning BBB...

I'm 20 weeks today...

a week or so ago my legs and feet started swelling really bad by days end. I even had bruises on both legs on the inside right below my knees. I assumed that came from them banging together while I slept so I placed a pillow between my knees and two pillows under my feet to elevate them at night.

Now the bottoms of my feet (heels) are so tender to walk on - even in the morning when most of the swelling has gone away from the day before.

I did pull out my compression socks that I wear on international flights and long car rides. They seem to help a bit and the swelling wasn't AS bad on the two days I've been wearing the socks.

Are there any other things I can try to manage/mitigate this symptom? TIA

~kdk

infomama
03-22-2010, 12:05 PM
I may put in a call to my doc with swelling that severe at 20 weeks.

hobie
03-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Please do call your DR, drink water, and put your feet up.

ThreeofUs
03-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Get your feet up as much as possible and call your OB *right now* (if you haven't already). S/He will want to see you for this type of edema.

Here's a link for strategies - and what to watch out for:
http://www.babycenter.com/0_swollen-extremities-edema-during-pregnancy_230.bc

elliput
03-22-2010, 01:19 PM
If you haven't call your OB already- do it right now.

lilycat88
03-22-2010, 01:25 PM
I had that happen at 20 weeks with my first pregnancy. It can indicate problems but in my case, it didn't. It was hellish and annoying and NOTHING worked very well at decreasing it or making it more comfortable. I tried the full compression hose (waist to foot) and that didn't help. My doc had me in every week to check urine and blood pressure always expecting something to show up related to preeclampsia. Never did. Eating anything salty made it worse but nothing really made it better until I delivered. This pregnancy...no swelling.