PDA

View Full Version : Backpack for Kindergarten

lcarlson90
03-22-2010, 02:01 PM
My DS is starting K in the fall and I would like to order him a back-pack from PBK. My question is whether it's safe to have DS's name embroidered on the backpack. I remember hearing that you should never have your child's name visible on clothes, etc. because of strangers. He will not be walking home or anything so I doubt he will come into contact with a lot of strangers, but I don't want to do anything that will put him in danger. Also, is it not cool to have your name on your backpack when you get into 1st and 2nd. I would like the backpack to last a few years.

Any thoughts??

rlu
03-22-2010, 02:18 PM
We purchased our backpack locally, so no personalization was available. What we did was put his name on a luggage tag that had a cover (bought it at Target, will check for link) so only his name showed through. We then put a piece of hockey tape over that so the casual observer could not see his name on the tag.

eta: they don't have the same affordable one we got, but something like this would accomplish the goal of identifying the backpack without casual observers seeing DC name http://www.target.com/Luggage-Tag-Orange/dp/B000WUXPFU/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&qid=1269282042&frombrowse=0&fromGsearch=true&node=1038576%7C1287991011&keywords=luggage%20tag&searchSize=30&id=Luggage%20Tag%20Orange&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Ctarget_com_age%2Cta rget_com_gender-bin%2Ctarget_com_character-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchNodeID=1038576%7C1287991011&searchRank=target104545&sr=1-11&searchPage=1 ok, that comes up 4.99 in the cart, so I consider that affordable.

eta: FWIW, there are many kids at DS school who have their name (last name in some cases?) on their backpack.

JBaxter
03-22-2010, 02:33 PM
We did not do personalization but did write his name on the area near the zipper Its smaller and doenst scream his name but does allow him to identify it

jse107
03-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Why not just initials?

lalasmama
03-22-2010, 04:49 PM
We didn't personalize Lala's for a few reasons. First and foremost was the safety aspect. There will likely be a time when the backpack is used for something non-school related, or when it will be used at a school function off-campus (field trips). For instance, they went to the pumpkin patch, and wore backpacks to carry their treats. The pumpkin patch didn't close down just because their class was there. Granted, the chance that someone at the PP is going to try to take Lala is incredibly miniscule, but.... I still didn't want to chance having her name out there. If a grown-up knows a kid's name, kids think that grown-up is a "safe" person. Second, trends change so much, so quick, I didn't want her having something that looked "dated"--and at a certain point, it does look funny to still have your name on your backpack ;) I didn't want her teased for a name on her backpack when someone decided it was "babyish".

Leeannpk
03-22-2010, 05:17 PM
As the mom of a kindergartener AND a first grader, I can say that the vast majority of first graders do NOT have their names on their backpacks, but lots of kids do have their initials. They also seem to sport more "grown up" looking backpacks, so if you're going to spend a good chunk of change and hope that he'll carry it for more than a year, I'd go with a more "mature" looking style. Finally (and this might more info than you want!) I'll say that the LL Bean backpacks are by far the ones that seem to hold up to the most abuse. I can't speak to PBK backpacks per se, but most of the non LL Bean and Lands End ones I see are looking pretty shabby at this point in the year.

Just my .02 - YMMV :)

crl
03-22-2010, 07:04 PM
We do initials. It helps him identify it in case someone else has the same one. And we tend to have him use it for things like plane trips, car travel, etc. so I would not want his name on it since it gets a fair bit of use outside of school.

We have a LandsEnd one and like it a whole lot better than his previous LLBean one. The LLBean one held up fine, but we had a very hard time with the zipper catching on the fabric--it happened to me all the time too so it wasn't just him. We haven't tried the PBKs ones.

Catherine

KrystalS
03-22-2010, 07:24 PM
My DD is in kindergarten and she has one of the PBK backpacks with her name on it. We live in a really small town and I pick her up every day, she doesn't walk or ride the bus. I can understand why some people would feel it's a security issue but every situation is different. Lots of kids at DDs school have their names on backpacks.
BTW, the backpack has held up really well and DD frequently drags it on the ground. I think it will last at least one more year, probably longer but I think she will want something different by 2nd grade. I'm hoping I can convince her to use it at least for 1st grade.

almostamom
03-22-2010, 10:00 PM
A handful of the first graders at DS' school have their names on their backpacks (I haven't noticed any kinders with the names on). Two sisters have PBK backpacks and matching lunchboxes. I don't know if they were new this year or not, but they look to be in pretty good shape. DS is completing year 2 with his Lands End backpack. His initials are embroidered on his.