PDA

View Full Version : An observation

jayali
03-22-2010, 04:05 PM
I work in mid-town Manhattan and rarely go out for lunch. Today I was running errands and walked through Grand Central on the way back. As I was exiting GCT I noticed 3 MTA police men with machine guns strapped to the front of them. I literally stopped in my tracks. The sight completely reminded me of being in the train station in Paris, with my niece and her being very frightened of the armed policemen.

I wondered how many times I have seen this lately and have I just become accustomed to the sight. I thought about my almost 6 year old son and how he will take the sight of heavily armed policemen as a natural thing. I got really, really, really sad.

I was in the WTC on September 11th so I get the need for safety - I guess I am just shocked at how far we have to take it. And may I add the policemen that were wearing the weapons were so young, probably in their 20s!

Just an observation of how our world as Americans has changed.

momof2girls
03-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Yes, it is a sad sight when you realize how much has changed since 9-11 and Columbine. I'm in NJ and in the aftermath of 9-11 they had heavily armed security at the Short Hills Mall. That was very disturbing and actually made me more paranoid rather than safer!

pinkmomagain
03-22-2010, 04:15 PM
I went to Israel about 25 years ago and was so taken aback by all the heavily armed military out and about amongst the public. While it scared me, it was explained by my family who live there that they feel secure when they see them because they are there for their safety.

Fast forward, I can now relate when I walk through Penn Station to take the LIRR. I have to admit, in this day and age, I feel safer when I see them.

jayali
03-22-2010, 04:27 PM
That is exactly my thought. Normal for Matthew is going to be completely different then my normal. But I guess that is true of lots of things.

I think my reaction was so severe because guns scare me. I am not sure if they scare him or if he even knows what they are carrying. I just kind of felt sad.

crl
03-22-2010, 07:14 PM
I remember flying for the first time after 9/11 and seeing the guys with the guns. It was very strange to me. I was 6 blocks from the White House and DH was scheduled to be in one of the offices at the Pentagon that was hit at that time (but moved his appointment because my parents were visiting). So I know what you mean about seeing the need for the security, but still finding it strange.

Catherine

kijip
03-22-2010, 09:36 PM
I was in Israel 15 years ago as an exchange student and the sight of barely out of their teens girls patrolling heavily armed was shocking. They were only a little older than me at the time some I spent a lot of time wondering about if I could take on that responsibility at that age.