PDA

View Full Version : Need some help from some healthcare professionals....

gatorsmom
03-22-2010, 06:46 PM
and this has nothing to do with the HC bill or thread! :p DH has to give himself weekly injections of Enbrel. But he can't find anywhere to dispose of the sharps. He knows he can't jsut throw them i the trash but the clinic where he was diagnosed with rhuematoid arthritis won't let him throw them out with their sharps or biohazard trash. Neither will Walgreens.

Any suggestions? We are building up quite a supply. In fact, the original sharps/biohazard container he was supplied with is now overflowing.

o_mom
03-22-2010, 06:50 PM
When we had a sharps container that came with meds, it had a mailing label to go back with it. Are you using a home healthcare company for the meds/supplies?

I would think whoever was sending the supplies could deal with the sharps.

lalasmama
03-22-2010, 06:53 PM
Most any pharmacy will have more biohazard containers... They are pretty cheap too (less than $10). I'm not sure how to dispose of the container though.... I would ask at the pharmacy. It seems like the price of the container was maybe in part for the disposal? I can't remember now. I know I should have one since I poking my poor finger with lancets all day, but I'm bad--I recap and put in a coffee can. Old habits die hard.

gatorsmom
03-22-2010, 06:57 PM
I would think whoever was sending the supplies could deal with the sharps.

The Enbrel is coming from the pharm manufacturer itself. I think. I should go check that.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Call your county health department, they often accept them or know how to properly dispose of them in your area.