PDA

View Full Version : Favorite umbrella strollers???

KenReeves
03-22-2010, 08:29 PM
We are in the market for a new stroller for DS who is 9 mos old....currently have a Bob Revoluton for those "exercise" walks. We are looking for a more lightweight, foldable stroller for travel (air travel, car travel to the mall, etc..) Ideally would like to have a decent cover to shade from sun.

We were all set to go with the Maclaren Quest but are having second thoughts about price and recall issues. Maybe the Maclaren Triumph instead -- looks similar and about $50 less. Read in Baby Bargains book about the Baby Jogger City Mini as well --- looks good except only can use while DS is under 33 lbs versus 55 lbs for the Maclarens.

Any opinion on Maclaren or other umbrella stroller we should be considering --- ideally don't want to spend more than $200.

Thanks much!

neeleymartin
03-22-2010, 08:39 PM
Read in Baby Bargains book about the Baby Jogger City Mini as well --- looks good except only can use while DS is under 33 lbs versus 55 lbs for the Maclarens.

Thanks much!

we have the bjcm and i believe that the weight limit is 50lbs. not sure where you saw the 33lb limit. we love it for just what you want. we have a bob revo duallie for fitness and long days and the bjcm has served us well for quick jaunts and travel. the sun canopy is great. i highly recommend it. hth

ellies mom
03-22-2010, 08:42 PM
In all honesty, the Mac recall was one of the lamest recalls ever. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Mac because of that.

When my youngest was about 11 months, I was trying to decide between the Quest and the Triumph to use as a car stroller. I ended up with the Quest because I felt she was young enough to justify the extra features. I like how the seat can be extended on the Quest. It just seemed more comfy looking to me especially for napping. The higher weight limit is nice too.

wellyes
03-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Love my Mac Quest, especially as DD gets older. It's so light and easy and simple. The BJCMs are bigger and more expensive but definitely more Bob-like if that's what you're looking for.

I think a Mac Triumph would be basically the equivalent, I just went with Quest cause I found a really good deal- paid $110. But yeah, extended the seat is nice. Something you'd probably get at least a year's use out of since your DC is so young.

I believe all Macs had the exact same recall (someone correct me if I'm wrong). It has to do with the hinges. I never got mine fixed, heard the cure is worse than the disease. Just use common sense and don't let your kid's fingers get caught as you fold up the stroller - like any stroller.

satchnbucky
03-22-2010, 11:14 PM
The triumph is great for 9 mos and up. I find the triumph and BJCM to be very different strollers, honestly. I have a triumph and I am thinking about getting a BJCM too. If you want a stroller for travel, and trips to an indoor mall, the triumph is the way to go. If you are going to the zoo or walking on lots of sidewalks, you can't beat the BJCM's canopy and it has bigger wheels. I would think you would be fine with the triumph over the quest. My DC doesn't seem to mind not having a leg rest and it still has a recline. I played with both in the store and didn't notice a huge difference in the recline. Had the quest not been $60 more, I might have considered it, but for our needs, the added features didn't justify the extra $$. HTH!

lmr1101
03-22-2010, 11:19 PM
I was just about to post the same thread... if you don't mind me adding to this... what about the UPPABaby umbrella strollers? I love the Vista so I'm wondering if either of their umbrella's are as good as the Mac?

SM23Mama21
03-23-2010, 12:00 AM
I have the BOB Rev. and the Mac Triumph and LOVE the combo of having both! The Mac is wonderful for travel and quick trips to the Mall! DS didn't seem to have a problem napping in it last summer either. HTH.

strollerqueen
03-23-2010, 04:39 AM
Macs are good; also check out the Peg Perego Si' or Inglesina Trip.

AnnieW625
03-23-2010, 11:31 AM
We've had a Mac Triumph since DD was 3 mos. old and we've used that stroller for everything. I love it.

zag95
03-23-2010, 03:54 PM
We have a MAC quest that we've been using since DD was about 7 mos- she's 26 mos now. Love it! Light, easy to use. I agree with PP about the recall on the Macs- keep kids fingers away and it solves a major issue! Love the high weight limit- we'll be able to use for Disney in a yr!

GL!

ebjw
03-23-2010, 04:26 PM
I chose the UPPAbaby G-Luxe over the Maclaren Triumph and I love it (ok, I don't use it that much, really just for travelling). But, I would buy it over and over again!

christiedavid3
03-23-2010, 04:38 PM
I got a Silver Cross Fizz recently and am really loving it. Very lightweight, pushes beautifully, reclines (not flat), has a nice removable reversible seat cover, etc. Best of all I only paid $69 with free shipping from shnoop.com

smcdonald2
05-27-2010, 12:31 PM
I love the Keekaroo Karoo - similar to a Mac Techno XT but only $140!

http://www.amazon.com/Keekaroo-Karoo-Stroller-Lilac-Mist/dp/B0019VJJ42/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1274977866&sr=8-2

The Joovy Kooper is also great. Not as nice as a BJCM (in my opinion) but a very good stroller for under $200.

http://www.amazon.com/Joovy-Kooper-Umbrella-Stroller-Black/dp/B001F50TMI/ref=pd_sbs_ba_6

RMessinger
06-01-2010, 09:48 AM
I chose the UPPAbaby G-Luxe over the Maclaren Triumph and I love it (ok, I don't use it that much, really just for travelling). But, I would buy it over and over again!

I've heard about the g luxe over a mac. What do you like about it? How does it compare in terms of easy fold, basket storage under, reclining, tip factor when you take baby out? My son is almost 10 mos and we're moving to the burbs. Our Bug has been great for NYC, but I need an umbrella when we move.

Suzanne74
06-02-2010, 09:13 AM
If you have a BOB already, I would not get the BJCM. Get a true umbrella stroller that has a small footprint and can weave in and out of tight areas.

My recommendations are Maclaren Quest/Triumph, Keekaroo, or the Inglesina Swift. I personally do not like the G-Luxe at all and the Kooper is great but is a little too heavy for a secondary stroller and is not tall-parent friendly.

ebjw
06-02-2010, 04:36 PM
I chose the G-Luxe over the Triumph and I love it!

wallawala
06-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Watching this thread closely... we're in the exact same spot. I LOVE the BOB, and it works great most of the time but is too big for restaurants. We like to walk from our house to get something to eat... so need the good tires but would prefer a smaller footprint. Roundtrip is usually 1-2 miles, and we do it (sadly) a least 3x/week in summer. My DH has started list of curse words to describe the size of the bob....

My problems is I want an umbrella stroller that rides as smoothly over everything like the BOB, and ideally could fold up and fit in my purse. HA:hysterical: Oh yeah... did I mention it'd be nice if it weighed less than 10 lbs ??? -- Hey if I'm going to fantasize might as well go big---

I looked at the G-lite and love the fold. Basket seems easier to accesss than the Mac quest, but otherwise they seem pretty similar. My biggest question is how does the G-lite (or luxe) hold up long term?

I broke down and bought a used snap-go intially and hated it with a passion. Hemmed and hawed about buying the Mac Easy-traveller for an expected 3 m of use... and LOVE it. Pushes one hand like a dream!!!

So... having mostly learned my lesson on spending a little more to get what you really want... I'm still stuck between the Mac quest/triumph and the G-luxe/lite. I'm leaning toward the Mac as I have loved the push on the Easy-traveler so much... but HATE the foot pedal fold (hurts in flip-flops).

Would love to hear feedback on the G-lite/luxe from owners who've used it >6months..... especially if remains easy to push one hand.....

Suzanne74
06-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Watching this thread closely... we're in the exact same spot. I LOVE the BOB, and it works great most of the time but is too big for restaurants. We like to walk from our house to get something to eat... so need the good tires but would prefer a smaller footprint. Roundtrip is usually 1-2 miles, and we do it (sadly) a least 3x/week in summer. My DH has started list of curse words to describe the size of the bob....

My problems is I want an umbrella stroller that rides as smoothly over everything like the BOB, and ideally could fold up and fit in my purse. HA Oh yeah... did I mention it'd be nice if it weighed less than 10 lbs ??? -- Hey if I'm going to fantasize might as well go big---

I looked at the G-lite and love the fold. Basket seems easier to accesss than the Mac quest, but otherwise they seem pretty similar. My biggest question is how does the G-lite (or luxe) hold up long term?

I broke down and bought a used snap-go intially and hated it with a passion. Hemmed and hawed about buying the Mac Easy-traveller for an expected 3 m of use... and LOVE it. Pushes one hand like a dream!!!

So... having mostly learned my lesson on spending a little more to get what you really want... I'm still stuck between the Mac quest/triumph and the G-luxe/lite. I'm leaning toward the Mac as I have loved the push on the Easy-traveler so much... but HATE the foot pedal fold (hurts in flip-flops).

Would love to hear feedback on the G-lite/luxe from owners who've used it >6months..... especially if remains easy to push one hand.....

You aren't going to want to push the G-Lite or the Triumph for 2 miles three times a week. That is what the BOB is for - long outdoor walks. Do you jog with the Bob? If not, I would get a Mountain Buggy Swift instead. Has almost the same footprint as a BJCM but has 10" air tires. That could be your all in one. Otherwise I would still use the BOB for those walks and lock it outside the restaurants like a bike instead of bringing it in. I wouldn't want to sacrifice 6+ miles of rickety walking a week, in an umbrella stroller just so it can fit in a restaurant. Of course having an umbrella stroller is great for in and out of the car though, so not saying to get one but I think one trek in the umbrella stroller and your husband will stop cursing at the Bob. ;)

wallawala
06-02-2010, 11:35 PM
Hmm... I need to get off this board! You mommas are too good!!!! The MB swift sounds great, and I really, shouldn't buy... but now want to....
I've been following the discussions on the indigo, and wow... sounds good too... but really probably not the best for my needs. If we weren't living in a 1bd condo, I really think I'd be tempted to get more than 4 or 5 strollers!!

In regards to the BOB, I don't jog. I have finally stopped pretending that I will, but only recently and grudgingly. Despite that, I really love the BOB. Other that the larger footprint, the only bad thing I find is that it has totally spoiled me. I can easily push it with 2 fingers loaded with groceries and my DD. I carry every thing and the kitchen sink with me in the basket. I would totally buy another. It turns on a dime and handles the constant downtown construction, cobblestone roads, grass at the park... makes me tempted to reconsider the whole jogging issue (and that's a lot!!). It's a wee heavy to throw in the car, but if I'm not jogging I gotta get SOME exercise, right??

I gotta go check out the Swift now in person. Strollers are like crack....

FYI Pre-baby I really truely believed that I could in fact find a single stroller to meet all our needs. Am . slowly. being. broken... :rotflmao:

cath_b
06-03-2010, 12:37 AM
DH and I love our Zooper Twist. Had it since DS was 7 months and now he is 2 yrs 8 months old we still love it and so does he. Only problem now is he won't give it up to little sister. I came with a rain cover, UV shade and boot/sleeping bag all for $189 minus 10% Bing cash back. We live in the SF area so we have used all three accessories. Though it pushes nicely, it is not a one-handed push. That's my only complaint.