PDA

View Full Version : Another scrapbooking question: the best way to make frames/borders?

JustMe
03-23-2010, 12:27 AM
Okay, I have all the pics I need to make the scrapbook I need to make for my adoption process. I posted a while back and got some great suggestions on how to do it. I like the idea of using a solid color and then using "frames" or basically borders of a printed paper...so I know it is probably common sense, but what is the best way (without spending tons of money) to cut those "borders" or frames to the right size? Hope this makes sense!

I am going to keep it pretty simple with just nice solid colors for the background and hope to do some nice "borders"/frames around the pics.

I am still debating between picking up something at Michaels (or I think I even saw something pretty nice at Target) or going to a new scrapbooking store... I went in there a couple of weeks ago and told the owner what I needed to do. She said she'd help me when I was ready, but I don't want to do anything elaborate or expensive....

Thanks,

JTsMom
03-23-2010, 07:15 AM
Of course, so much with scrapbooking is about personal taste, but I just wanted to say that I'd be careful about framing (called matting in the scrapping world) with patterns b/c they can take away from the photo. Just check it out before you cut the paper b/c it can add up money-wise, kwim?

So, having said that, I typically double or triple mat things. First decide on size. Just take the corner of the mat (or both- and they don't have to be even) and line it up to get an idea of what size it needs to be by looking at that corner. Maybe you want it to be 1" all around, or 3" or whatever- using one corner can help give you a visual. Then use a paper trimmer to cut it to size. I tend to just eyeball it as opposed to measuring precisely. It also can be off-center- there are no rules.

Here's an example of triple-matting:
http://www.mousescrappers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3353

I placed the photos on the blue paper with a very thin border and glued them down, then cut. Then I took that over to the yellow, repeated, then the light blue, and repeated again. I finished the corners with little stars that I'd cut out. You can see how the pictures pop a bit b/c they are off the patterned paper.

Here's some regular, single matting:
http://www.mousescrappers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2981

Same technique, just with one layer (except on the clouds).

Here's one where I used patterned paper to mat groups:
http://www.mousescrappers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2971

On the corners only pieces, I just cut the triangles out and glued them to the photos.

Are you totally sorry you asked? :p

One more thing- here's a gallery to browse through that might spark some ideas. These people are serious about scrapbooking though, so don't think the average person's stuff looks like that! Mine sure as heck doesn't. :rotflmao:

http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/gallery/projects/layouts/adoption-theme/

JustMe
03-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks so much! Your work is beautiful! I especially like the triple matting and Peter Pan.

I am now thorougly convinced I need to stick to simple though (which is a good thing)..the main point is for the child to see the pictures of our family, so I don't want to distract from those or confuse the child about what he/she will really find at our house!

So, I will just try to do some basic single matting in some color that works with the background paper....

More suggestions, advice, etc is welcomed...I mostly am scared I will mess things up...I was never good at drawing a straight line!

JTsMom
03-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks! :shy: Glad it helped- it can be so overwhelming to get started. I'm extremely anal about crafts, and that makes it even worse. LOL

I can't draw a straight line to save my life, but that's what makes scrapbooks fun- you don't have to! Just look at the pretty stuff and glue it together. And you have the photos, which will be the focal point, and they'll be beautiful all by themselves, so the bulk of the work is already done for you.

I promise, you won't mess anything up. It's just paper, and anything you hate can be taken apart (ask me how I know), so don't stress.

The best advice I can give you is just to tell the story. Don't worry if things aren't perfect- just do it. If you want to make things as easy as possible on yourself, think about buying a kit, or making a photobook on Shutterfly. If you don't think this is something you'll ever do again, a kit is really the most economical way to do things. They have them everywhere- Walmart, Target, Michaels, etc. and you can get any type of theme imaginable.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Creative-Keepsakes-All-In-One-Scrapbooking-Kit-8-X8-Sprite/10770699?sourceid=1500000000000003260370&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=10770699

http://crafts-sewing.hsn.com/anna-griffin-isabelle-fun-friendship-paper-craft-kit_p-5822378_xp.aspx?webm_id=0&web_id=5822378&sf=ct&dept=ct0012&cat=ct0013&ocm=ct|ct0012|ct0013&prev=hp!sf!dept!cat&ccm=ct|ct0012|ct0013

If the prices look high, keep in mind that buying all of those papers and things individually costs a fortune. It's scary how fast it adds up! If you go to Michaels, use a coupon though.

Here's a link to some photobook info. That's the REALLY easy way to go, no artistic effort required.
http://www.shutterfly.com/photo-books

Let me know if I can help. I love this stuff.

JustMe
03-23-2010, 11:33 AM
I would love to find a kit that would work. (A photobook is not really an option because I need to be able to change pictures/pages out...this process can go on for a while and pictures/other things can become outdated).

The kits I see tend to have patterns that I think would be overwhelming with what I am trying to do...maybe I am wrong? We mostly have family action shots and some still family shots, but it doesn't seem to work to me to have a pattern with lots going on in it? Also the book needs to work for either a boy or girl, so I need some gender neutral colors. Have you seen anything like that? I don't want to offend anyone, or get off on a political tangent, but I won't shop at Walmart so can't really use those.

Finally, what is the best inexpensive way to "glue" the pictures (and will I need to "glue" the backgrounds as well?)? I know some people gave suggetions to me about this on my previous thread, but I got kind of confused. I do need it to be inexpensive, but if there was a way to do that and still have the pictures be removeable that would be great...if not, I can make that work too..I would just have to change out a whole page if I need to change something...is it bad to use regular glue if I don't find a good way to do removeable pics?

ETA: Oh, the all in one kit from Walmart does look like it would work, so I am off to search and see if someone else sells it. Also, I think I will need a 12" kit because I will definitlely need to get 4 4x6s on some facing pages (if that makes any sense).

JTsMom
03-23-2010, 11:50 AM
I would use a cheapy glue stick that says "acid free" on it, and almost every glue stick you find will say that, including the kid's ones. If you don't use heaps and heaps, you can pull the pics right off, and it will be fine- I've done it hundreds of times. You'll need several glue sticks, just FYI. Another option is to use photo corners- super cheap- maybe $2 tops. They are a bit of a PITA though, b/c they are hard to get on straight. If you use them, put them on the photo first, then glue down.

The kits- I hear you on the evil empire. I don't shop there either, so don't sweat that. Have you tried Michaels? Target? There should definitely be gender neutral stuff around- maybe some bright colors would work well?

You can definitely use patterned paper, then mat with solid cardstock, and not have it be overwhelming. I'd buy a pack of it with a coupon- should be around $5 tops. If you don't find a kit, you can buy a pack of patterned paper too, and that would keep the cost down. Usually you can find them for $10 on sale. Then you'd need an album- $10 or so there.

I'd splurge for a simple trimmer in any case- $10, use a coupon to get it lower. You could use scissors, but a trimmer will be worth it's weight it gold, I swear.

When you buy an album, it will have plastic, empty pages, or plastic pages with white cardstock in them. Just slip your assembled pages in- no need to glue the page into the book. You'll be able to change out the whole page, OR eliminate it, OR pull it out and change one photo or whatever.

I have to run, but if you want, you could send email me a couple of pics, and I'll throw together a page for you with stuff I have laying around just to get you going. I like to do some "journaling" (aka write about what's going on in the pics), so you could throw that in too.

bigpassport
03-23-2010, 12:05 PM
The easiest way I've found to do it is: (1) crop the photo to the size you want; (2) pick a piece of matting paper; (3) stick the photo to the mat so that one corner and two sides set the width of the border; (4) cut the other two sides of the mat. Just eyeball it.

ETA: As for adhesive on a short term project (like OP's adoption collage), you could aslo use acid free double sided tape. If you are doing scrapbooking to keep around for years, I would go to a craft storeand buy adhesive specifically made for scrapbooking.

JTsMom
03-23-2010, 12:09 PM
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat3078&PRODID=prd36160

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat3078&PRODID=xprd1037982

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/zoomImagedetail.jsp?CATID=cat3078&PRODID=prd56919&imgPos=5421&imageType=z&itemType=product

I'm really going now. LOL These are just a couple of packs that might work, but there are literally hundreds and hundreds out there.

JustMe
03-23-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks everyone! I like the idea of doing a textured background and color coordinated matting.

JTsMom, stupid question, but how do I e-mail you a picture? I know how to e-mail someone through the BBB, but don't see anyway to attach a picture or anything else.

thanks,

JTsMom
03-23-2010, 06:26 PM
I pm'd you my email addy. :)

JustMe
03-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Thanks, I e-mailed you.