PDA

View Full Version : Should I list our house on craigslist?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
03-23-2010, 12:41 AM
We recently added lease/option to the sale of our house. And I was thinking of listing it on the rental available section of craigslist. Am I just asking for the loons to come out of the wall or is it possible we could get someone good. The realtor seems to think that another realtor will bring us someone who wants it as a lease/option but I'm wondering about widening our net.

What do you guys think?

khm
03-23-2010, 12:47 AM
We FSBO'd our last house and listed our open houses there. Just in overhearing and/or chatting with the folks at the open houses, well well over half saw it on CL. (And, that's just what I heard about.)

CL is way more popular now, and I actually don't like messing with it for work (for a realtor) b/c the format is difficult to search and it's just so full of listings, but we do do it and we do get people mention "seeing us on CL" all the time.

So, yeah, I guess I'd do it!

crl
03-23-2010, 01:26 AM
We rented the first house we lived in in SF off Craigslist. And also did a lease-take over for the second place off of Craigslist. Of course, this is San Francisco, home of Craigslist. But I'd say it's worth it to post a rental on Craigslist.

Catherine

sewarsh
03-23-2010, 08:24 AM
just be ready to get bunches of calls from realtors. also i would not show the hosue wtihout DH around. there are some crazies out there.

DebbieJ
03-23-2010, 08:45 AM
I would totally list it in CL!

TwinFoxes
03-23-2010, 08:48 AM
I don't know what part of the country you're in, but pretty much the majority of houses in LA are listed on CL, so I was surprised this was even a question! I guess it really depends on your market.

I'm not sure why you'd get more calls from realtors, since they have access to the MLS, and could contact you from there. I assume you're still going to put your real estate agent's contact information? Not your own?

khm
03-23-2010, 09:12 AM
When mine was FSBO, we did get a lot of calls from realtors. Some trying to talk me out of FSBO, some to show for their clients, etc.

When I list for the realtor I work for, yes, it's HER contact info that goes on CL, not the homeowners. The showings would be coordinated with her, same as any other advertisement.

vonfirmath
03-23-2010, 09:20 AM
I certainly looked at Craigslist when looking for a rental.

o_mom
03-23-2010, 09:22 AM
I would list it with the link to the MLS listing. Let the realtor know you are doing it and put contact info for her if she wants (in the ad, obviously the MLS listing would have that). There are plenty of people who don't know/think to look on MLS for rentals or lease-options.

NewMom2007
03-23-2010, 02:00 PM
We listed our rental on CL and found great renters. I had DH handle all the calls/meetings.

CL is great!