PDA

View Full Version : There is a "Respond" button on the Evite for a reason!

mariza
03-23-2010, 10:08 AM
I am having a small party (25 invited) for my brothers 40th a week from Friday. I sent evites last week and most people have viewed them but not responded. I asked someone about it and they said they are definately coming but they "have so many emails they can't be bothered opening all the links". Seriously, WTH? My brother lives out of state and would do anything for these people in a heartbeat, (including flying here for someones 40th b-day dinner) yet they can't be bothered to open a link and respond!?!!?!

I did finally figure out that I can respond for people, so at least now if someone opens it it looks like people are actually attending, but why should I have to do this for supposed grown up people? I know it's Easter weekend, but even a "maybe" or flat out "no" would help me out. I'm busy too and beginning to wonder why I got this "brilliant" idea to begin with. I guess I'm just feeling bad since he is such a great guy and never married. All his buddies have wives to do this sort of thing for them. He is so good to my kids (plus me & DH) that I wanted to try and do something nice in return. I just feel like it's going to be a big flop instead :(
Now I must go and guess how much food to order. Thanks for listening!

:54:

tnrnchick74
03-23-2010, 01:12 PM
He sounds like a great guy. I was beginning to doubt any were still single!

It also sounds like you are a great sister too!

Hugs! I hope the party is awesome!

wencit
03-23-2010, 01:50 PM
I did finally figure out that I can respond for people, so at least now if someone opens it it looks like people are actually attending, but why should I have to do this for supposed grown up people? It's a little unclear from your statement, and I'm not sure if you're aware, but only the organizer can see who has opened the Evite, so if you're worried about your brother's feelings, he can't see who has/has not read the Evite (unless he has password access to your Evite account, of course). Also, I wouldn't necessarily assume that people who have opened the Evite are coming. Like you said, too many rude people don't bother to click "no."

Now I must go and guess how much food to order. Thanks for listening! If you have their phone numbers, I would start calling them up. Or e-mailing everyone personally. I know it's a huge hassle, but it's better than overestimating the amount of food you need and end up wasting money.

ETA: Also, did you list an "RSVP-by-such-and-such" date on your invitation? If not, maybe people are just being slow to respond? Hopefully that's the case, and your party won't be a big flop, as you worry about!

mariza
03-23-2010, 02:23 PM
He sounds like a great guy. I was beginning to doubt any were still single!

It also sounds like you are a great sister too!

Hugs! I hope the party is awesome!
Thanks, he is a great guy! He was in a long-term relationship with the wrong person for a long time. Now he is free and happy but travels for weeks at a time for work so it's hard for him to meet anyone. He doesn live in FL though, so if you know any great single women, PM me ;)

arivecchi
03-23-2010, 02:28 PM
When this happens I send a reminder message to the guests via Evite even before the automated one asking people to please respond ASAP so I can place the food order.

mariza
03-23-2010, 02:32 PM
It's a little unclear from your statement, and I'm not sure if you're aware, but only the organizer can see who has opened the Evite, so if you're worried about your brother's feelings, he can't see who has/has not read the Evite (unless he has password access to your Evite account, of course). Also, I wouldn't necessarily assume that people who have opened the Evite are coming. Like you said, too many rude people don't bother to click "no."

If you have their phone numbers, I would start calling them up. Or e-mailing everyone personally. I know it's a huge hassle, but it's better than overestimating the amount of food you need and end up wasting money.

ETA: Also, did you list an "RSVP-by-such-and-such" date on your invitation? If not, maybe people are just being slow to respond? Hopefully that's the case, and your party won't be a big flop, as you worry about!

Sorry to be vague, I was really annoyed when I first typed this! No, my brother doesn't have access and doesn't even know about the party. I was just annoyed myself knowing how he has always been there for these people and they can't "be bothered" to clink a link to respond!

To clarify, I only edited the responses of those people who did tell me they were coming. I got some texts, some Facebook messages and some phone calls. I am just (again, beating a dead horse) annoyed that they couldn't clink on the evite itself. I work 4 ten hour days and on my 3 days off I like to catch up on household chores, hang out with the kids and lurk on the BBB :p not chase people down!
There are some people I invited that I don't know well enough to harass (friends of my brothers that I am not close to). I was afraid they would look at it and think "only 9 people are going to be there" and then, in turn not attend. Now that I responded for the lazy people, it at least looks like 18 people will be there!
I haven't thought about the "RSVP by", it may be too late for that, but I will thanks to your suggestion send a "reminder" and maybe in the notes say I am looking for a head count to finalize food. Would that be tacky?

mariza
03-23-2010, 02:33 PM
When this happens I send a reminder message to the guests via Evite even before the automated one asking people to please respond ASAP so I can place the food order.

Thanks, you must have responded when I was typing :)
I will do this!

arivecchi
03-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Good luck!

tnrnchick74
03-23-2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks, he is a great guy! He was in a long-term relationship with the wrong person for a long time. Now he is free and happy but travels for weeks at a time for work so it's hard for him to meet anyone. He doesn live in FL though, so if you know any great single women, PM me ;)

Well, if he ever gets to the Orlando area, we need to have a drink!