PDA

View Full Version : Costco v. Sam's Club

Nu_mama
03-23-2010, 11:02 AM
I am thinking about getting a membership to one and was wondering.....

Which do you prefer? Why? Are there any special perks about one over the other?
I noticed that membership cost is about $10 cheaper at Sam's. Also, I am in the Twin Cities and would love the perspective of a local if anyone has one. Thanks!

AnnieW625
03-23-2010, 11:27 AM
No local perspective for your from a Minnesota standpoint, but I have been a member of Costco for 10 yrs. and this was before anyone and their brother could join. I was able to join because the Costco founder/CEO and I went to the same university (San Diego State) and if you were a recent graduate of that university or a member of it's alumni association you could join. I have been very happy with our membership and buy certain staples from there (just do a search in this forum for Costco and you should come up with some results). The price on electronics is good too. Before they built the Costco two miles from our house Sams Club was closer and we thought about checking them out too, but ultimately decided to just stick with Costco.

jellibeans
03-23-2010, 11:28 AM
They have alot of the same things. We decided to go with Sams because at the time we were using their generic formula(exact same as Enfamil) and we are still using Pampers(Costco has Huggies.) I sometimes wonder if they are owned by the same company? They have so many similarities but also have lots of competing things(like Sams has Pampers, Costco has Huggies). I guess the best thing would to be write down what you would be buying there and then go into each as a guest and look to see which has more of what you want.

DebbieJ
03-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Costco, hands down!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been a member of both and prefer Costco by far.

geochick
03-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Costco! I can't live without Costco.

WatchingThemGrow
03-23-2010, 11:40 AM
enter costco and sams into the search engine and you'll be able to see MANY threads where people state their preferences. We belong to Sam's - closer, on our way to stuff, don't need the temptation of the gazillion cool things available at Costco. I've been to both in the last week, and spent $285 at each, equally. :47:

AnnieW625
03-23-2010, 11:44 AM
I sometimes wonder if they are owned by the same company?

Sam's Club is owned by the Walton family of Wal Mart and based in Arkansas. Costco is owned by Costco and based outside of Seattle (hence the Kirkland Signature name for their products).

icunurse
03-23-2010, 11:45 AM
I think that it depends on what you and your family need/use. For us, Costco is more along the lines of what we like and need. I just went to Sam's Club a few weeks ago with my Mom (her membership) and really had trouble finding things that we use or would eat. Costco carries a lot more organic options, as well as just "healthy" options (for example, they have a lot more variety with cereals vs Sam's seemed to have few and most were sugary). Trust me, we're not picky or uber-healthy, but I don't but a ton of sugary things and like whole grains and minimal ingredients. Costco seems to have more of those items.

KrisM
03-23-2010, 11:50 AM
I prefer Sam's. Here's why:

1. Signs. Sam's has signs on the aisles telling me what is in the aisle and Costco does not. I don't have time to wander the store hoping to find what I want to buy. And when I asked if they had a layout map, I was told they rearrange the store every 3 months or so, so no no map. Aargh! Not worth the hassle.

2. Shopping online. I can order online by 5pm and it's ready, in cart, for me by 10am the next day. I pay and go. Much easier than actually shopping much of the time.

3. Gas. Sam's gas pumps takes VISA and Mastercard and Costco only takes AmEx. I save about $.25/gallon these days at Sam's for gas.

bigpassport
03-23-2010, 12:12 PM
No local perspective. I would suggest visiting the Sam's location and the Costco location you would most likely use on the day and time you would most likely use them. Our Sam's Club is closer and has early hours, so that in and of itself makes Sam's a no brainer. Also, the Costco nearby us is always very crowded. Some Sam's and Costco's have gas, so that might make a difference to you.

jse107
03-23-2010, 12:17 PM
We have both and use them for different things. DH and I actually visited both before we got memebrships and went through the aisles writing down what we would buy and the price. Overall, for items that were the same, Sam's was cheaper by a few cents.

We buy our staples at Sam's--paper towel, toilet paper, diapers, wipes, Pull-ups, etc.

We buy more food items at Costco. I find they have more gourmet-type items that Sam's would never carry. I also like the meat selection far better at Costco than Sam's. (Although I am now on a delivered, grass-fed, local beef kick.)

HIU8
03-23-2010, 12:17 PM
I prefer Costco. I have been a member for over 10 years. My family was a member when it was still Price Club. Sam's is here, but not as well used as Costco (neither sam's nor costco has gas here and Costco seems to have more that we use-I have been to Sam's before on my sister's membership (she belongs to both). I think it comes down to personal preference and ease of location and store use really.

o_mom
03-23-2010, 12:26 PM
Overall, I find there really isn't much difference. Some people like things more/less at each club. We have a Sam's membership because the location is good for us. I go to Costco with a friend and they usually have 2-3 items that I can't get at Sam's. Works the other way as well - we have a standing order for 2-3 items from Sam's that they can't get at Costco. Seasonal and big ticket items have also been split for us - some at each club.

I would go look around at each one and make a list of what products you think you would use and how the location works for you.

lmwbasye
03-23-2010, 12:31 PM
We get a free membership to Sam's through my FIL and still pay for Costco because it's that much better.

Costco all the way!

AnnieW625
03-23-2010, 12:47 PM
I prefer Costco. I have been a member for over 10 years. My family was a member when it was still Price Club. Sam's is here, but not as well used as Costco (neither sam's nor costco has gas here and Costco seems to have more that we use-I have been to Sam's before on my sister's membership (she belongs to both). I think it comes down to personal preference and ease of location and store use really.

I still catch myself calling Costco "Price Club" too my parents have had a membership for that long too and it was really hard to get a membership there too if you didn't know someone who owned their own business (that's how my dad got in).

FWIW, we :heartbeat: Amex's customer service soo much so that if we ever had to give up our Costco membership we'd most likely still pay the $50 per year (same as the cost of the Costco membership) that it costs to have a basic Amex card. Their CS reps are very nice, understanding, and much nicer to deal with than any other card company we've ever had (including our old CU, and Capital One; they were the worst!).

vonfirmath
03-23-2010, 01:12 PM
They only had Costco when I first got my membership and I got used to their products and their mix of products so that is what I got when I had my option of either.

But I really think its a matter of checking both out and seeing which fits your family better
(And yes, if you have philosophical problems with Wal-mart that could influence your decision as well)

I like Costco's $1.50 hot dogs!

larig
03-23-2010, 01:31 PM
I think both probably offer you a free trial day membership. I think if I were you I'd go to both places and see what you think. I belong to both and there are some things I can get at one, but can't get at the other.
Sams lets you pay with discover, but Costco uses Amex. Both take debit cards, so that is what I use.

I like Costco's prepared food better. DH liked their meatloaf. I like their pasta.

For a long time Costco didn't carry All detergent, and Sams did. They both have Charmin, but they are different Charmins. I think Costco seems to have more organic stuff (love their frozen sweet potato fries!) It's subtle differences like this. Oh, I think Sams has more main stream junk food (Lays, Cheetos...), whereas costco has more stuff like Pirate's Booty, Veggie Crisps...

If it is important to you, Costco is known to have some of the best benefit packages in retail (which makes me feel good about shopping there). They are also known to have an exceptional return policy.

o_mom
03-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Sams lets you pay with discover, but Costco uses Amex. Both take debit cards, so that is what I use.

If it is important to you, Costco is known to have some of the best benefit packages in retail (which makes me feel good about shopping there). They are also known to have an exceptional return policy.

Sam's now takes Mastercard as well.

Also, the return policy is the same at both places. :) Well, I'm not sure if Costco has the same 200% policy on fresh food items (Sam's will refund double the purchase price on meat/bakery/produce or refund 100% AND replace)

mom2baileys
03-23-2010, 02:05 PM
I :heartbeat: costco and it's $1.50 hot dog meal (with hebrew national!). I don't have an amex yet, but that way I'm forced to use atm card and can only buy what I can really afford because it is very easy to get carried away there. They have great prices on meat and fresh seafood too. I haven't priced baby products yet but I know from this board that others think it's a good deal. Plus you get coupons in the mail every few weeks and it seems there are always some for diapers, wipes, and formula.

Nu_mama
03-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Thank you all for your input. I think that DH and I will definitely take a tour of both--I like the idea of writing down what we 'would' buy and prices then comparing. My biggest purchases would probably be food items and it sounds like Costco might have more of what I'm looking for in terms of more natural choices and better quality meat. How is the produce selection? Summers I usually do the farmers market, but in the winter I might be looking for produce.

Thanks Again!

codex57
03-23-2010, 03:31 PM
There's a Sam's and Costco about one short freeway exit away from each other here.

The parking lot at Costco is always pretty full. Sam's is basically pretty empty all the time. The people in this region have made their choice pretty clear. My neighbor just moved here from Georgia where she's been a longtime Sam's membership. Btw me and her SIL, we've convinced her to give up Sam's when it expires and switch to Costco.

Sam's seems to have more overall selection, but the items in Costco are the ones you'll actually put in your cart. Plus, there's a Super Walmart right next to the Sam's so there feels like even less reason to get a Sam's membership.

Still, back in SoCal, I still much prefer the selection at Costco than Sam's. Less choices, but again, what they have is what is worth buying.

Like toilet paper. I have IBS apparently so I'm pretty picky about what toilet paper I use. Costco has their Kirkland brand or they have Charmin, which is really the one brand I use.