PDA

View Full Version : Rotavirus

ZeeBaby
03-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Was this already discussed?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100322/ap_on_he_me/us_med_vaccine_warning

AshleyAnn
03-23-2010, 03:55 PM
I haven't seen it but now I need to make a call to DD's pedi. She just got her first dose of the rotavirus last month and it was the Merck kind. I specifically asked for it too because its 2 doses vs. 3.

elephantmeg
03-23-2010, 04:27 PM
I will say that as a peds nurse we haven't seen nearly the cases of rota that we used to. It's been night and day different. DS didn't get it (too new/he was a little too old) but DD did.

MamaMolly
03-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the heads-up! :thumbsup:

wendibird22
03-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Oh fantastic. DD2 just got her 1st dose last week.:hopmad:

lalasmama
03-23-2010, 09:45 PM
I haven't seen it but now I need to make a call to DD's pedi. She just got her first dose of the rotavirus last month and it was the Merck kind. I specifically asked for it too because its 2 doses vs. 3.

The Merck brand vaccine (Rotateq) is actually a 3 dose series (2, 4, 6 months). The GSK brand vaccine (RotaRix) is the 2 dose series.

AshleyAnn
03-23-2010, 11:03 PM
The Merck brand vaccine (Rotateq) is actually a 3 dose series (2, 4, 6 months). The GSK brand vaccine (RotaRix) is the 2 dose series.

Ok maybe I misread the article. I'm calling the pedi tomorrow to schedule her next set of shots so I'll double check what she got.

Either way I'm glad she got the vaccine. DNephew got the rotavirus bug and gave it to me the week of finals my senior year of college it was TERRIBLE. We were both VERY VERY sick. DNiece got it at 3 and ended up in the hospital for a week. A benign virus that has not shown to cause any issues so far is a lot less worrisome than the alternative.

lalasmama
03-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Ok maybe I misread the article. I'm calling the pedi tomorrow to schedule her next set of shots so I'll double check what she got.

Either way I'm glad she got the vaccine. DNephew got the rotavirus bug and gave it to me the week of finals my senior year of college it was TERRIBLE. We were both VERY VERY sick. DNiece got it at 3 and ended up in the hospital for a week. A benign virus that has not shown to cause any issues so far is a lot less worrisome than the alternative.

For any future child of mine, they will definately recieve the vaccine as well. Several years ago, my neice was in the hospital for rota, and I *never* want to go through that again. As an adult, it sucked (or blew, depending on how you want to discribe that explosive poo). I can't imagine it as a kid, and would do nearly anything for my children to avoid it!