PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Pail best for twins?

twinfit
03-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Is there a diaper pail that is "optimal" for twins? As in larger capacity? I've read good and bad reviews about both the top two ones being the Diaper Champ and the Diaper Genie II. We have a two story house with the nursery on the 2nd floor, but throwing the diapers into a pail in the garage isn't out of the question and could be an option.
Thanks for your advice in advance.
B

Melaine
03-23-2010, 07:18 PM
We were happy with the Diaper Champ. For me, I didn't worry about the size being bigger, I just wanted one that worked well to contain the smell. I knew that we would be emptying it fairly often and it rarely got full to capacity. Keeping it empty helps keep the smell issues to a minimum. I also really liked that the diaper champ could use any bag, rather than special refills. We used grocery bags for awhile. If I were you, I would get a Diaper Champ for the first few months when all is crazy and insane and you don't have time to walk to the garage, then you might be ready to get rid of it when things settle down and there are fewer diapers.
Also, the very best thing to do environmentally and odor-wise, is to dump the poopy diapers in the toilet before throwing them out. I don't think I knew that when the girls were born.

twowhat?
03-23-2010, 10:33 PM
We keep a 13-gallon kitchen trash can with lid in the garage and toss them there. We get trash pickup twice a week and that bin is always at least half full! I don't know how that many diapers would fit in a diaper genie or diaper champ unless you empty it frequently.

As for smell...poop doesn't smell until babies start solids. Once babies are eating mostly solid food and the poop is soft, solid, and formed, we started dumping it in the toilet. It helps a LOT with smell. And technically you are supposed to do it anyway because wastewater is treated, while landfills are not. Plus I am hoping that it is teaching my girls that "poop goes in the toilet!!!"

eta: we also kept a bucket in the nursery where I tossed all the pee diapers. Then a couple times a day I'd take them out to the bin in the garage. Poopy diapers went to the toilet for dumping then straight out to the garage!

Momof3Labs
03-24-2010, 12:18 AM
We just put the diapers in the nearest garbage can. We have a medium sized can next to the upstairs changing table (in our bathroom) and just toss them in either the bathroom garbage or the kitchen garbage when we do a change downstairs (PNP changing table). We've just started to dabble in solids so the poops are just getting stinky. But that's only a couple of diapers a day, so not a big deal to bring out to the garage. Our garbage cans get emptied often enough (every 2, maybe 3 days) that smell hasn't been an issue at all. If you have a bigger diaper pail, stink is more likely to be an issue because the diapers will sit longer.

Oh, and we use all open garbage cans - lids only make the smell worse, IMO.

Melaine
03-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Maybe you guys BF (I can't remember) but I want to go on record to say that FF dirty diapers stink to high heaven!

k_null81
03-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Totally agree! It's BAD!

We have a really small ranch style house so pee diapers go in the kitchen trash can and poo diapers go straight outside to the trash can.

Maybe you guys BF (I can't remember) but I want to go on record to say that FF dirty diapers stink to high heaven!

twowhat?
03-24-2010, 01:55 PM

Oh no!!! Sorry, I didn't know that!! Yeah, breastfed poop doesn't smell bad at all.

Momof3Labs
03-24-2010, 03:08 PM
Sorry, yeah, bf'd baby poop here, too.