PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay in the bahamas?

drako
03-23-2010, 07:41 PM
We are thinking about going to the Bahamas this summer. DH, DD, and I will be going. DD will be about 16 months old. We decided on the Bahamas because the flight is short from the east coast (which is important to us based on DDs age). Any recommendations where to stay or where not to stay. I don't think we want to stay at Atlantis. I think it will be too busy for my liking but would consider if it is that great. We would like a nice laid back resort to kick back and relax.

DebbieJ
03-23-2010, 07:49 PM
I don't know where you should stay--I just stopped there on a cruise. But I would say don't plan on leaving your resort. The Bahamas is a little scary.

SnuggleBuggles
03-23-2010, 07:54 PM
I'd go to some all inclusive resort. I hear Atlantis really nickles and dimes everything (actually, more like they charge $$ for things). We have only done Breezes there but you have to be 16yo to go. How about a Club Med?

Beth

drako
03-23-2010, 09:31 PM
I know what you mean by not leaving the resort. We felt the same way in Mexico and Jamaica. I have been looking at a few all inclusives. Just wondering if anyone had a good or bad experience.

keribeth
03-31-2010, 03:52 PM
I went to the Bahamas with my parents the summer before last and we had a great time. Never felt unsafe but we never went off the resort at night either. During the day was fine for occasional trips into town where the food is cheaper (and sometimes better) than the resorts. We mostly stayed on the resort or took day trips to Atlantis, snorkeling, shopping, etc.

We stayed at the Sheraton Cable Beach which is right next to the Wyndham (I think). I would stay at either place again. If you want to stay on Paradise Island, there Atlantis is, I've heard you can get good deals at the Comfort Suites.

mom2binsd
04-03-2010, 10:53 AM
If you can get in at the Comfort Suites you can access the pools at the Atlantis.

http://www.comfortsuites.com/hotel-paradise_island-bahamas-BS003?promo=gcsbs003

mytwosons
04-03-2010, 05:18 PM
Older family members recommended Elbow Cay to us. They took their grandkids several years back and everyone had a good time. They said it was a small, very quiet island, and very safe. They walked and rode bikes everywhere. They said it was very family friendly. Sorry, I don't know more than that!

geochick
04-04-2010, 02:39 PM
See what the people on Tripadvisor recommend:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g147414-Bahamas-Hotels.html

I've only been to Andros for a science-related field trip, so I can't comment on nice lodging...I camped. :)

Have fun.

ivegotayen
04-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Older family members recommended Elbow Cay to us. They took their grandkids several years back and everyone had a good time. They said it was a small, very quiet island, and very safe. They walked and rode bikes everywhere. They said it was very family friendly. Sorry, I don't know more than that!

My husband and I spent three weeks in the Abacos (the cluster of Bahamian islands where Elbow Cay is) this past December. It's wonderful. Out of all the Abaco islands, I would recommend Elbow Cay or Parrot Cay. Parrot is only 6 acres, owned by an amazing family, with two guest cottages on it. Your cottage rental comes with a boat, and you can zip over to Hopetown on Elbow in 10-15 minutes. It would be good to have some knowledge of operating a boat if you go with Parrot. You would be stuck on Parrot after sundown, so if you're the type of family that can make its own evening entertainment you'll be fine. Otherwise you may want to be on Elbow. There's usually something going on each evening there.

The Abacos are not a resorty place. Most people rent a cottage, cook some meals in, enjoy empty beaches, etc. If you're looking for room service and swimming pools, another option might be best.

Check out vrbo.com or homeaway.com for cottage rentals. For a pseudo-resorty option, the Hopetown Harbor Lodge is too charming for words. There are two other hotel-type accommodations towards the other end of the island: Abaco Inn and something else (can't remember). You'd need to rent a golf cart to get around if you stayed there.

Elbow Cay only has a couple of hundred people on it at any given time, half of which are not permanent residents. Everything operates on a small scale. Everyone knows each other. If you make the effort, you can meet half the island natives by the time your trip is up. ;)

You can also rent a boat while there (we recommend getting an Albury Bros boat from Island Marine) and explore the other nearby cays and pristine reefs. As mentioned earlier, you need a bit of boating know-how, as there are tides, and docking is done in a special way there that's a little tricky at first (bow tied to dock, stern anchor thrown out back).

IMO, if you can do without the hotel/resort experience, you will find greater value in the Abacos or the other Bahamian Out Islands.

Another option: Staniel Cay, The Exumas (Bahamas)... stanielcay.com. We almost got married there. It looks wonderful!