PDA

View Full Version : my Census gripe

crl
03-23-2010, 08:57 PM
I opened the Census envelope last night all set to fill it out and mail it today. But it says, fill this out immediately and all the questions are for as of April 1. Well, it's not April 1 yet and I honestly don't know how many people will be living here on April 1. We're hoping to adopt and the expectant mother who has chosen us is due April 1. So, I can't follow instructions. I am such a little rule follower that this is a problem for me. I think I have to wait for April 1 to fill it out, don't I?

Catherine

egoldber
03-23-2010, 08:58 PM
In your case, I would wait and fill it out when you know. :)

kristenk
03-23-2010, 09:16 PM
I opened the Census envelope last night all set to fill it out and mail it today. But it says, fill this out immediately and all the questions are for as of April 1. Well, it's not April 1 yet and I honestly don't know how many people will be living here on April 1. We're hoping to adopt and the expectant mother who has chosen us is due April 1. So, I can't follow instructions. I am such a little rule follower that this is a problem for me. I think I have to wait for April 1 to fill it out, don't I?

Catherine

This was my complaint about the census, too! (Taking out the adoption park, of course.) :) I am such a rule follower that I'm not completing my form until 4/1 even though I can't imagine that our living situation will change.

Congrats on the impending adoption. I hope your family is a little larger on 4/1! :)

sariana
03-23-2010, 09:25 PM
I would probably put the number of people in your house now for #1 and check the first box in #2. Let them call you if they have a question about it.

I ran into a problem with the military issue. DH is on temporary duty overseas. He is not physically living in the house right now, but he won't get counted anywhere else (despite what the form says) because he is not stationed there. I called to ask for help, but the person was able only to read policies to me, not to adapt any answers to my situation. She read two policies that contradicted each other. So I erred on the side of counting him so that our state will be properly represented.

niccig
03-23-2010, 09:30 PM
My gripe is the reminder that I got in the mail yesterday with a "thank you if you've already filled it out" comment. It's not April 1. I thought we HAD to fill it out on April 1 and not the week before that. DH keeps asking, have you filled it out yet, and my reply is "not April 1" and then we get this reminder and DH says "see, you're supposed to fill it out by now". So, we compromised. I filled it out, but I won't put it in the mail until April 1.

Andi98989
03-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Yup, I think you have to wait.

https://ask.census.gov/cgi-bin/askcensus.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=8729&p_created=1268172927&p_sid=2z3fICXj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX 3Jvd19jbnQ9MjgsMjgmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZ wX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PWJpcnRo&p_li=&p_topview=1

mariza
03-23-2010, 09:59 PM
I totally didn't pay attention to the April 1st thing and now I just checked that link and saw not to count people who die after April 1st. I've already mailed it back so I guess that just means that no one in my house is allowed to die. Ever. (But especially not on April 1st!)

JustMe
03-23-2010, 10:06 PM
I can understand how that could be difficult!

Quite honestly, if it were me though, I'd fill it out as though the baby weren't there yet...I mean, unless the baby is early (which I know can happen) he/she probably won't be there yet. *I* would not want to worry about filling in the census form if you have a new baby in the house....that's just me, though...and I understand it may not follow the letter of the law exactly.

icunurse
03-23-2010, 10:56 PM
From what I understand, the census is asking who is living there "as of" April 1st. So, if the baby isn't born by at least March 31st, he/she won't actually be released from the hospital and living in your home as of that date. Also, the second question had something to do with the child being a foster child, so I'm not sure how that would be taken into account for question #1 (since a baby placed for adoption is considered a foster child until finalization).

crl
03-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Yup, I think you have to wait.

https://ask.census.gov/cgi-bin/askcensus.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=8729&p_created=1268172927&p_sid=2z3fICXj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX 3Jvd19jbnQ9MjgsMjgmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZ wX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PWJpcnRo&p_li=&p_topview=1

Interesting. So, if the baby is born on April 1, do I count her on our Census form? I assume the hospital doesn't count as a residence so she wouldn't be counted at all otherwise. But what if the expectant mother changes her mind and then the baby gets accounted for on her census form, that would be twice.

I'm obviously way overthinking this. This is the problem with being a donkey girl scout. I think I'll just wait until Apr. 1 and if the baby has been born AND the expectant mother says she's still going to place with us, I'll include the baby. Otherwise I won't.

Isn't it amazing how convoluted I've managed to make filling out the Census form? Thanks you all!
Catherine