PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about splurging on a 2nd Maclaren...

ive95
03-23-2010, 11:08 PM
Hi ladies,
This is my first time posting on this forum. I have enjoyed reading your threads about your fantastic strollers and I value your opinions. Today I'm looking for some advice...

I currently own a Chicco Cortina and Maclaren Quest. We retired the Cortina a few months ago and finally got the Mac and we love it! It mostly resides on my DH's SUV. This is the car and the stroller we mostly use when we are running around town with DD, who is 18 months old. I would like to get a second umbrella stroller to keep in the second car in order to avoid the "did I forget the stroller" question every time I'm out with DD. (After using the Mac, we honestly don't want to use the Cortina stroller any more... DD is much happier on the Mac and it's light, easy to open/close and steers like a dream!) Do you think it's justifiable to get a second Mac? Since it will not get used as often as the Quest, I was thinking a getting a cheaper Volo out of eBay ($100 w/ free shipping). We are planning on having another child in the next year or two, therefore, I know both Macs will get tons of use. I'm just wondering if it makes sense at this point... I tried every single cheaper alternative at the stores and we hit the back of the wheels and it gets really annoying. I've also been checking Craiglist in our area and nothing comes up.

Also, if you were to get a second umbrella stroller, would you get the Volo or go for the Triumpf?

Thanks in advance!!!

newnewsmama
03-24-2010, 08:17 AM
If you already own a quest, get a Volo. Volo does not recline but is much lighter. It is also less expensive. The seat is deeper compared to Triumph. Good for older kids.

Hi ladies,
This is my first time posting on this forum. I have enjoyed reading your threads about your fantastic strollers and I value your opinions. Today I'm looking for some advice...

I currently own a Chicco Cortina and Maclaren Quest. We retired the Cortina a few months ago and finally got the Mac and we love it! It mostly resides on my DH's SUV. This is the car and the stroller we mostly use when we are running around town with DD, who is 18 months old. I would like to get a second umbrella stroller to keep in the second car in order to avoid the "did I forget the stroller" question every time I'm out with DD. (After using the Mac, we honestly don't want to use the Cortina stroller any more... DD is much happier on the Mac and it's light, easy to open/close and steers like a dream!) Do you think it's justifiable to get a second Mac? Since it will not get used as often as the Quest, I was thinking a getting a cheaper Volo out of eBay ($100 w/ free shipping). We are planning on having another child in the next year or two, therefore, I know both Macs will get tons of use. I'm just wondering if it makes sense at this point... I tried every single cheaper alternative at the stores and we hit the back of the wheels and it gets really annoying. I've also been checking Craiglist in our area and nothing comes up.

Also, if you were to get a second umbrella stroller, would you get the Volo or go for the Triumpf?

Thanks in advance!!!

arivecchi
03-24-2010, 11:12 AM
If I were to get a second Mac, I'd go with the Volo.

AnnieW625
03-24-2010, 11:34 AM
I would not get a Volo, but I just don't like it, I am very happy with my Triumph, which is one model lower than the Quest and has been our gets used every day stroller since DD was 3 mos. old. I like that the Triumph has a nice padded seat and the one position recline will be used for a long time. Even at almost 4 DD will still ask me to recline the seat (even though she doesn't sleep in it much anymore). If you do some hunting on Ebay you should be able to find a Triumph for not much more than $100 and no more than $140.

I did recently just buy a floor model Techno XLR (top of the line Mac) off Ebay for $140 (which is what I paid for my original Triumph in 2006) so there are deals to be had you just have to look for them. You could also look on Craigslist too. Good luck.

BSax
03-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Gilt Groupe (members only website, but you can apply to join and get accepted within a few hours) has a volo on sale today for under $100. I think it's $85...

satchnbucky
03-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Also, check BRUS clearance aisles - I got my Triumph for about $85 that way using a coupon.
You can get on gilt right away if a member invites you - there was a thread about it in the bargains section...

AnnieW625
03-24-2010, 12:42 PM
FWIW, Gilt sends too many emails and most of the stuff is $$$$ designer stuff. I just actually asked to be unsubscribed from the email as it wasn't that useful for me. The MAC thing was the first time I had heard of a baby related thing that wasn't some Juicy Couture CZ encrusted, pepto pink baby bag on there; sorry if that's your thing!.

vonfirmath
03-24-2010, 01:32 PM
Even the Maclarens they have are... not my thing. As it turns out.

WatchingThemGrow
03-24-2010, 01:51 PM
We're considering a 2nd Triumph. LOVE the just enough, but not too few features of it.

wellyes
03-24-2010, 02:20 PM
I think a second umbrella is very reasonable. I'd probably get something like a Uppababy G-Lite for the 2nd car just for variety's sake.

Suzanne74
03-24-2010, 10:53 PM
I would do a volo. It is a great summer and vacation stroller. It is so light, deep seat and breathable on those hot days. You can literally hose it down and it dries in less than an hour. Perfect for when your little one has a melting ice cream or sticky popsicle.

strollerqueen
03-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Yeah, just decide if you want to go bigger or smaller. One Mac that is a little different but very nice is the Starck. They are on Gilt right now for $75, which is an amazing price. Comes with a matching travel bag, and I think? a raincover. They are bigger, but have a 24" seat back! Highest I have ever seen on an umbrella. The handles are tall, too. There is no recline. I haven't used mine yet, waiting for SP 2.0 to get bigger. Oh, there is also the SC Fizz on Shnoop for $69. That has a nice big seat, too. So many good deals out there!:cheerleader1:

ive95
03-25-2010, 08:15 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies!! I would love to become a Gilt member... I requested a membership earlier today but I haven't gotten a response yet. Hoping I'll get in soon and the macs are still on sale. If not, I'll go with $100 volo or the $140 triumph off ebay. Oh, decisions!!! Thanks again!!!