PDA

View Full Version : Would you consider moving to Savannah, GA

mariza
03-24-2010, 08:17 AM
Currently living in MA but saw that there is a lateral transfer opportunity available in Savannah, GA. DH might have to quit his job if they can't transfer him, but he has only been there since October and I'm thinking that with the cost of living difference (I'm assuming it's much lower there - am I wrong?) I think he could be a SAHD for a year or 2.
Of course we would probably have to take a major hit on selling our home and rent down there for a little while. Then of course there is the prospect of DD who is supposed to start Kindy in the Fall.
DH is from GA, we tried living in FL for a little while and I wasn't happy so we moved here, now he isn't happy.
I've been to GA and really like it, but never Savannah. Any insight,opinions would be much appreciated!
Of course this is all assuming that I would be approved for transfer, but I need to have this thought out before I apply for it.

DietCokeLover
03-24-2010, 08:23 AM
I would move there in a heartbeat. I'm originally from SC and I love that area.

KpbS
03-24-2010, 08:27 AM
I haven't lived there but always wanted to. From everything I've seen and heard it looks to be a great place to live.

Melaine
03-24-2010, 08:30 AM
I've never actually been to Savannah but have heard wonderful things. I'd consider it a great place to move. I love the area for sure.

wellyes
03-24-2010, 08:39 AM
I went as a tourist and it was absolutely a lovely spot. Moving there? I don't know. The thing I liked most about the city was the easygoing atmosphere - everyone walking down the sidewalk on a warm evening seemed mildly buzzed. But moving there...how are the schools? How are the services? I don't know about crime, neighborhoods, etc. I love the area. The city has a fascinating history. Politically and culturally it is a world away from MA, but not necessarily worse (or better).

Read "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" and if I were you I'd plan a long weekend family trip to scope it out.

clc053103
03-24-2010, 08:41 AM
Havent' been there, but love Paula Deen. ;-) I would love to move to s or n carolina though.

SnuggleBuggles
03-24-2010, 09:10 AM
I am one of the few people who wasn't really that taken with Savannah when I visited. It was pretty though and there is a lot of history to take in. Also, it is nice to have a warmer climate. :) We were there in Feb. and the playgrounds were full of happy kiddos.

The school thing is throwing me because I'd want to have a plan for that and see what the school situation is like there.

Beth

boolady
03-24-2010, 09:20 AM
I loved visiting Savannah, but don't know if I'd want to live there. I'm not sure the climate's for me, and I don't know enough about things others have mentioned...schools, crime, cost of living, etc..

bubbaray
03-24-2010, 09:35 AM
I would move there in a heartbeat.

:yeahthat:

After the Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil movie, I fell in love. Plus, Paula Deen is there -- what's not to love?!

Yes, I definitely would move there.

tmarie
03-24-2010, 09:44 AM
Why didn't you like Florida? Would the same reasons be issues in Savannah? I am from MA and moved to the Midwest for dh's job. After a decade here I still hate it and wish we could move back to the Coast. He is very content here, but he grew up here. For me it is a distaste for the landscape (flat, not enough bodies of water), but even more for the cultural differences. Even though we're in a city (smaller than Chicago or Minneapolis), it is vastly more conservative than I am comfortable with. I don't have confidence in many of the doctors I've run into here, the public school systems are not in the same league as Massachusetts by a long shot, and I really miss being a hop and a skip away from the city/mountains/ocean all at once. And because the state as a whole is more rural, the overall population is terribly uneducated compared to the populations I grew up around outside of Boston. I feel guilty that it bothers me so much, but it does. I don't know if any of these issues would come in to play if you moved to Savannah, or if they would even bother you, but just wanted to share my experience. I wish I had considered all these factors and studied the population better before I agreed to settle here! :)

tmarie

pb&j
03-24-2010, 09:47 AM
Yes! We have considered it - DH has family there, and I love the city. Beautiful, great history, close to the beach, thriving arts scene, and mmmmmmm the food!

I lived in FL for a while and did not like it, either.

JTsMom
03-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Everyone has their own taste of course, but I wouldn't like Savannah, from what I've heard about it. I would be very concerned with the schools, and the fact that it's a bit.... isolated I guess. I like being near Atlanta b/c even though I don't have all of the stores, services, medical providers etc, in my little town, they are all easily accessible. I also like that my area has a lot of transplants. There are parts of the south that don't, and that's something that can make life really really hard. I've also heard some not so great things about the schools, at least for the neighborhoods that are in our price range. GA schools, in general, are not so hot, so you really have to be careful about that. You can find great ones, but you have to look, and you have to really watch where you buy.

kijip
03-24-2010, 12:20 PM
I would not likely move to much of the south because I could not take the summer heat. I really can't do a lot of heat. That said, if I was picking a place to live in the south, I would look at Savannah and Charlotte. Since I don't much care for snow either (I am a moderate weather sort of gal) I am pretty place bound to parts of the West Coast.

Melbel
03-24-2010, 12:47 PM
I went as a tourist and it was absolutely a lovely spot. Moving there? I don't know. The thing I liked most about the city was the easygoing atmosphere - everyone walking down the sidewalk on a warm evening seemed mildly buzzed. But moving there...how are the schools? How are the services? I don't know about crime, neighborhoods, etc. I love the area. The city has a fascinating history. Politically and culturally it is a world away from MA, but not necessarily worse (or better).

Read "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" and if I were you I'd plan a long weekend family trip to scope it out.

:yeahthat: Where in FL did you live? What did you like/dislike? Savannah is about 2 hours north of Jacksonville, so the climate is not all that different.

SM23Mama21
03-24-2010, 12:56 PM
I LOVED Savannah!! I would move there in a heartbeat! What does your DH say?

mariza
03-24-2010, 07:28 PM
DH is all for it, he is not loving MA. I didn't like FL for many reasons, mostly the people. The traffic was way worse than Boston IMO, people were rude (I had an old lady repeatedly ramming her shopping cart into me one day at the supermarket because I was taking too long to enter my pin number at checkout!) That was just one of many similar experiences.

I am not opposed to a move down south, we visit his family in Gainseville, GA a lot and I like it there. I've just never been to Savannah and don't want to make a rush decision. We have talked a lot about the Carolina's, especially North Carolina which I really like a lot. I think that DC's are at an age where we can move one more time, but then I would like to stay put until they are grown. I would be sad to leave MA, my roots are here and my kids are happy here, but financially it is killing us. I earn a good living and DH is starting to get back on his feet after a long layoff. We live in a modest 3 bedroom house and yet we still live paycheck to paycheck. I am sick. of. it. I just got my excise tax bills in the mail and the thought of paying MA a yearly tax on a vehicle I bought in FL 5 years ago makes me sick :barf:. The nice thing about FL was no state income tax, but honestly I haven't even looked into the tax issue with GA.

Good schools are important to me and I would miss being near a "big" city. I love that Savannah is close enough to DH's family in GA without being in their backyard, also it's only 5 hours drive to my brother in FL. Hmmm...
You guys have given me a lot of good insight, thanks! DH and I have some serious talking to do tonight!

graciebellesmomma
03-25-2010, 01:49 AM
In a heartbeat!
We went to spend a night there a couple of years
ago and ended up staying 4 nights. I adored that place.
It felt soooo good and right. I still dream of living part time in
Savannah and part time here in Tahoe. The light there is
amazing, and as a photographer that means a lot. DH, on
the other hand, says no way. Lots of crime, lots of poverty.
Stuff he doesn't really want his family around. We'll see what
happens. We might end up there someday!

I would check out schools, of course. I'm sure there
has to be some choices.

MelissaTC
03-25-2010, 07:59 AM
You may want to check on this but Georgia may charge property tax on vechicles. I know we pay here in North Carolina.

DH and I moved to NC from NY 12 years ago. It still has been one of the best decisions we ever made. I would check into www.city-data.com and go to the forum section for Georgia and Savannah. People on there are pretty honest and will answer questions you have, etc... It will also give you a feel for current issues in the area, places to check out, the vibe, general feel of the people, etc...

Good luck!!

viba424
03-25-2010, 09:12 AM
I :heartbeat: Savannah!! I'd move there in a second.

However, I am not from the south and one thing get the feeling about is you'll never be TRULY from Savannah if you we'rent born there. Of course Savannah is not without its problems but I would still love it!

Mommy_Again
03-25-2010, 09:47 AM
IMO, people were rude (I had an old lady repeatedly ramming her shopping cart into me one day at the supermarket because I was taking too long to enter my pin number at checkout!) That was just one of many similar experiences.

I had to laugh when I read this...I am a Florida native and we always complain that all the rude old people here are snowbirds from the North!

Savannah is a lovely city, for sure. I have several friends who grew up there and loved it. I will caution you that it is very much an inner-circle, good ole boys place, though - a lot of southern cities are like that, but have had enough transplants move in over the years that non-natives have plenty of outlets such that they don't feel ostracized (ie big cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville). I honestly don't know if Savannah is there yet - so I'd suggest trying to find people who live there but didn't grow up there that you can chat with and see what their experience has been like.

mariza
03-25-2010, 05:15 PM
I had to laugh when I read this...I am a Florida native and we always complain that all the rude old people here are snowbirds from the North!

I totally agree, except I would tell myself they were from NY :wink2: