PDA

View Full Version : traveling to India

sonal+ashwin
03-24-2010, 08:52 AM
I am super stressed as I am traveling first time with my 16month old daughter to India first time....it is going to be summer there and it can get really hot there...since this our first time traveling and her's first time on flight that too a long flight...I need help with everything.

travel list

how will she sit in the plane...she is 17lbs little small for her age...so the harness belt dont work for her...we are planning on getting her own seat

do I need to carry my cmbj stroller or an unbrella stroller is fine...

do I need to carry her carseat for the flight.

how do i carry my daughter stroller diaper bag and my bag

her food

how to deal with hot weather in india...

how will I go to bathroom in the plane...

how to keep her busy.

does she need any vacination

I just need help with everythign that i need to know...all tip are welcome.

Thank you,
:wavey::wavey:

citymama
03-24-2010, 01:28 PM
You should do a search - there are several postings with similar questions (just found this one: http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=347088&highlight=thailand)

We took DD to India and Thailand at 10 months and again at 3. We had her in her own seat (best decision ever!) with the infant car seat when she was 10 months - in your case, you could do a convertible. We did not take a stroller either time - when she was little, we used the Ergo everywhere - much easier in crowded Asian streets! We did use the car seat in cars in both countries, and am so glad we did even tho people laughed at us. Delhi is no place for a kid in a car without a protective seat.

DD just had all the basic shots that she needed at that age, nothing else. I think at 16 months your child can get the Hep A or B booster which my DD couldn't at 10 months. Definitely do a pediatrician visit before your trip. We did not do malaria pills but were vigilant about mosquito repellent (more on that below). She was nursing at the time, and we took some baby food jars along, but if you are staying with friends and family, they/you can just make your own with the yummy fresh produce available. We did carry loads of diapers and wipes, but in truth, these are all available locally unless you're in a rural area.

Carry and use Purell or hand sanitizer like a paranoid nut. We did and I know for a fact it helped. Especially with a crawling baby or unsteady toddler, you need to wipe down their hands frequently. Take good sunscreen, a broad-brimmed hat, and definitely use mosquito repellent on all exposed parts. We had our pack 'n play and used the mosquito net that Graco sells. Even so, DD was covered in bites on both trips. DO NOT expect California Baby to do the trick - buy Odomos locally and use it! This is my number 1 recommendation. Also, try and have your child in loose clothing that covers as much of her body as possible - lightweight rompers are great - because that protects against sun as well as bug bites. Carry infant tylenol and other meds you might need with you - we wished we had carried infant benadryl, as our DD developed allergic reactions to the bug bites and I wasn't sure what the local equivalent was.

The plane will be fine - carry at least 2 if not 3 changes of clothes for her - believe me, you'll need them! I highly recommend the Ergo or another carrier as a way of carting the baby around during travel and when in India.

Hope this helps!

chottumommy
03-24-2010, 01:35 PM
For the hot weather, lots of coconut water. Same if baby gets diarrhea. Coconut water has all the electrolytes and is much much better than pedialyte or any of the electrolyte drinks. Me and my son drank 2 coconuts every single day and it helped us cool down and prevent dehydration.

Nature's best solution to buying bottled water. BTW, I never drank bottled water in India, only the normal tap water boiled.

wellyes
03-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Airports do have some helpful rules for travelling with babies. You can always gate-check a stroller and car seat for free. You are also bring breastmilk, formula or cow's milk on your carryon even though all other liquids are prohibited.

Take the car seat onto the plane with you, that's probably the easiest way for baby to sleep. You can also keep her strapped in and ask the attendant to watch her when you go to the bathroom.

Not all public transportation in India is suitable for car seats - most is not - hiring a car and driver (or knowing someone with a car) is the safest transport option if you must go on the roads.

If you have an Ergo or similar carrier it really helps to wear your baby at security checkpoints at the airport. And I agree with PP, depending on what part of India you're headed to, a stroller may not work very well anyway.

Definitely talk to your doctor about vaccinations and other precautions. When I went to India the doc gave me some "just in case" pills for traveller's diarrhea which were very good to have. Plus lots of advice on food safety, avoiding mosquito-born diseases, etc.