PDA

View Full Version : what to do with rhubarb?

AnnieW625
03-24-2010, 11:06 AM
This is the odd veggie of the week in our CSA box (first time I had ordered in a really long time! Everything is great, avocados, two large heads of cauliflower, huge head of lettuce, carrots, strawberries, oranges, and celery).

I can't honestly say that I have ever had it. I think my mom made my dad a rhubarb pie once when I was growing up, but I don't even remember eating it.

So what do I do with a few stalks of rhubarb?

DrSally
03-24-2010, 11:13 AM
We used to grow it in our garden (it grows like a weed) growing up. My mom would stock up my wagon and I'd go around the neighborhood giving it out. People make strawberry/rhubarb pie, jam (usually with another fruit), some sort of fruit compote/crisp (again you might want to use apple or strawberry or peaches with it). USually it's used in baking.

jse107
03-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Yes, a rhubarb crisp is super-yummy. Be sure to add sugar because it's pretty tart.

Mine is just starting to come up in our garden!

AnnieW625
03-24-2010, 11:26 AM
recipe anyone?

GaPeach_in_Ca
03-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Rhubarb dream bars!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Rhubarb-Dream-Bars/Detail.aspx

My Grandma alwasy made rhubarb dream dessert or pie growing up. Yum, yum, yum.

I made this one last summer. I think I will make it again. It's a lot of sugar, I think I cut it down some.

almostmom
03-24-2010, 12:13 PM
YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love me some rhubarb!

I don't have one go to recipe, but I would search on epicurious for a strawberry rhubarb crisp. You can make just plain rhubarb, but some people find it too lemony/tart (not me!) so you might want to try it with strawberries first. A local bakery also makes delicious rhubarb and mixed berry pies. Can I just say it again - YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JElaineB
03-24-2010, 01:01 PM
Lots of recipes here: http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/recipe-index.html

My DH loves the Strawberry Rhubarb Mousse Pie (http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/recipe-pie.html#index_pie_46). It looks complicated but it is actually very easy to make. I just use a prepared graham cracker crust instead of making my own, usually.

newg
03-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Oh my mom grows it and we use to eat it all the time because it's so low in sugar she could make some great deserts for me!

She usually made a strawberry/rhubarb cobbler or crisp. Top it with a bit of cool whip or vanilla ice cream and it is delish!!!!

ohiomom1121
03-24-2010, 01:38 PM
My mom used to make rhubarb chicken when I was growing up and it was delicious. I'll try and get the recipe from her later-did a quick search and there seems to be lots of rhubarb chicken recipes online. I think she did a strawberry rhubarb pie too.

ThreeofUs
03-24-2010, 03:14 PM
We LOVE rhubarb - just be careful not to eat the leaves - bad for you.

We make rhubarb dumplings, which is like a rhubarb compote with dropped in sweet dough. Very wonderful.

Bens Momma
03-24-2010, 05:53 PM
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie is one of my favs!!!!! My mom makes an awesome one but I don't have the recipe on hand. I'm sure you could google and find a good one. Have also had some good rhubarb preserves.

Good Luck!
R.
Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS :bouncy::bouncy:

ewpmsw
03-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie is one of my favs!!!!!

Re-bop-a-re-bop, rhubarb pie! Mmm. Strawberry rhubarb is the best. Wish we got rhubarb from our CSA.

tmarie
03-24-2010, 09:41 PM
i haven't been brave enough to try and cook with rhubarb, but i've tasted several delicious desserts that combined strawberries and rhubarb. My favorite was the crisp...sorry I don't have an actual recipe to share!

tmarie

pb&j
03-24-2010, 09:47 PM
Compost it?

;)

Sorry, we are not rhubarb fans here. If you cook the living daylights out of it, and add tons of sugar and some strawberries, you end up with an okay pie. But I'd rather have just a far superior strawberry pie with no rhubarb in it.

sunshine873
03-24-2010, 09:52 PM
Rhubarb dream bars!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Rhubarb-Dream-Bars/Detail.aspx

My Grandma alwasy made rhubarb dream dessert or pie growing up. Yum, yum, yum.

I made this one last summer. I think I will make it again. It's a lot of sugar, I think I cut it down some.

:yeahthat: When I saw the post title, Rhubarb Dream was the 1st thing that came to mind. My parents grew rhubarb & their garden and made lots of rhubarb/strawberry jam (which I also love), but this was my favorite. Hmmmm, now my mouth is watering. Give it a try...you won't be sorry!

DrSally
03-24-2010, 10:07 PM
You can put Strawberry Rhubarb jam on ice cream too.

JaneW
03-24-2010, 10:10 PM
I have a great recipe for combination strawberry/rhubarb pie. Takes lots of sugar.