PDA

View Full Version : s/o: How much did you PAY for your child's mattress/box spring?

Leeannpk
03-24-2010, 12:27 PM
We need to get DS a twin bed, so I've been pricing things out. We bought our daughters very high quality mattresses and spent over $500 each (probably around $600 with delivery), but I just can't spend that much this time. I was considering a set that was in the $400 range, but recently a friend spent $150 on her son's new mattress, so I wonder if I am just spending way too much? FWIW, I think her son's mattress feels awful - I could practically count the springs with my back - but perhaps there are mattresses out there that are OK and do cost less? I predict that the kid will be sleeping on these beds until they leave for college, so whatever we get has to last. Perhaps I am picky and particular, but the cheaper beds just didn't feel comfy to me. Am I just too "princess and the pea" or is a more expensive, higher quality mattress worth the extra $$?

AnnieW625
03-24-2010, 12:30 PM
We only had to buy a mattress (DD's bed is raised and has a bunky board for support) and we bought it directly from a local manufacturer for about $180. DD has been very happy with her mattress. Had we not known about the local manufacturer I most likely would've looked at Ikea and that was about the same price.

Look and see if you have a company like this one near you, Custom Comfort Mattress Company, http://www.customcomfortmattress.com/

kijip
03-24-2010, 12:35 PM
We got a very nice set, one that would normally be 500+, for under 200 because it was a display model.

egoldber
03-24-2010, 12:46 PM
I really don't remember what we paid for older DD's double mattress. But we got only a mattress, not a box spring, and her bed is on slats. I didn't want it to be that high. But we bought her mattress at the same time as we replaced our king mattress (15+ years old) and we got some kind of deal.

My younger DD is on a twin mattress on the floor. It was kind of an experiment when we tried it, so we only paid about $100 at Ikea. Some day we'll get her an actual bed too. :p

KrisM
03-24-2010, 12:51 PM
We probably paid around $200. I don't expect them to keep until college. I figure with potty accidents for a bit, etc, that we'll want to replace it at some point. Plus, when they only weigh 45lbs, it's easy to be comfy on a cheaper mattress. We'll spend more and get something nicer when they're 10 or so.

almostmom
03-24-2010, 12:54 PM
I spent just under $200, and I wish I had spent more. I was expecting to pay like $150, and did, then returned it for the next up which was just under 200. But it's crappy. I mean, it's fine for her now, but when I sit on it, it really sinks on the sides.
I think if I'd spent $300 I could have gotten something that was totally fine. She has the thin crate/boxspring thing instead or a full boxspring.

Ikea, if you have one nearby, is probably the way to go. Their mattresses are nice and very cheap.

JTsMom
03-24-2010, 12:56 PM
$399 for a queen size, 3 pc set from Ikea during a Seize the Days sale.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-24-2010, 01:01 PM
We are looking at this mattress (http://www.us-mattress.com/eco-rest-eco-l-8-variable-full.html)

In a full, as it is also used as our guest room. Just a mattress as we are getting a platform bed.

Leeannpk
03-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the input. I think I am just going to bite the bullet and get the higher quality mattress and pay more. We have been very pleased with the girl's mattresses and they both still look brand spanking new (thank you, mattress protector!). It seems to make sense to spend $200 more now rather than spend more $$ over time.

tmphilo
03-24-2010, 01:21 PM
We just paid $350 for DD's full size mattress & box spring set. It was normally $600 I think but we got it on a President's Day sale.

KrisM
03-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the input. I think I am just going to bite the bullet and get the higher quality mattress and pay more. We have been very pleased with the girl's mattresses and they both still look brand spanking new (thank you, mattress protector!). It seems to make sense to spend $200 more now rather than spend more $$ over time.

OT - can you tell me what mattress protector you have? DS needs a new one as his now leaks and the mattress has been wet now :(.

khalloc
03-24-2010, 01:49 PM
DD has my old full-sized mattress that I used for about 1.5 years in college. My parents bought it brand new at Costco. Its a Simmons. I think they paid about $400 or so for the mattress and box spring. Its very comfy.

jse107
03-24-2010, 03:28 PM
DS has a Simmons Beautyrest Twin. I think we paid $600 for it with the ultra low box spring. His bed is very comfy and I don't regret spending the money.

moonsky
03-24-2010, 03:40 PM
We got a Naturepedic one for $699(only twin mattress, no box spring) with shipping & tax already included. I would like to get an organic one and I think that was the best deal among all other organic brands at that time. I bought it from a local store which offered local free delivery. Other brands were cheaper but not with shipping cost($100+).

ThreeofUs
03-24-2010, 04:18 PM
Look for sales at places like Sears and compare to Costco. You can get sets fairly inexpensively.

I found a shop that I trust, asked if they knew of anyone selling a good set and bought mine 2nd hand from them. I spent $50 for a Stearns and Foster set. Not bad, but not a route I would take with anyone but someone I trusted.

Still, maybe you could ask around among friends?

mom2binsd
03-24-2010, 10:04 PM
We got this mattress set in a full size for about 470 (it included a mattress cover, two awesome pillows and a care kit)...luckily IL's bought it for DS's 4th birthday.

http://www.denvermattress.com/groups_1-29-0-0-0-4.htm

MissyAg94
03-24-2010, 11:00 PM
We bought a Moonlight Slumber twin mattress for about $335 (shipping included) and a box spring from a local mattress store but I can't remember how much it cost. I think around $150.

SpaceGal
03-24-2010, 11:39 PM
We lucked out and got DS his full size mattress and box spring for $500 the mattress normally sells for $2000 but was an order that was cancelled so they sold it at the Raymour and Flanigan outlet. It's super comfy and HIGH. :) I hope it lasts him a while and what not but it might be a challenge since I might have to bunk my boys and may not be able to use his awesome mattress because it's so thick.

kozachka
03-25-2010, 01:45 AM
DS' mattress is from Costco, it was $150 plus tax. So far he loves it.

DebbieJ
03-25-2010, 01:47 AM
We paid ~$100 for a mattress only at Sam's Club.

Leeannpk
03-25-2010, 09:31 AM
OT - can you tell me what mattress protector you have? DS needs a new one as his now leaks and the mattress has been wet now :(.

Sorry Kris - I just saw this this morning. I *think* we got it at Target. It's not fancy. It is a waterproof mattress cover, but instead of just being plastic it's covered with some sort of soft material. Let me see if I can find a link to something similar...

OK, it's similar to this:
http://www.target.com/Bed-Protector-Mattress-Pad/dp/B0002SC6QG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&qid=1269523708&frombrowse=0&fromGsearch=true&node=1038576%7C1287991011&keywords=mattress%20protector&searchSize=150&id=Bed%20Protector%20Mattress%20Pad&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Ctarget_com_age%2Cta rget_com_gender-bin%2Ctarget_com_character-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchNodeID=1038576%7C1287991011&searchRank=target104545&sr=1-2&searchPage=1

I think they also sell them at bedding stores like Sleepy's.

egoldber
03-25-2010, 09:38 AM
I have a protector that is similar that I got at Bed Bath and Beyond.

o_mom
03-25-2010, 09:44 AM
Sorry Kris - I just saw this this morning. I *think* we got it at Target. It's not fancy. It is a waterproof mattress cover, but instead of just being plastic it's covered with some sort of soft material. Let me see if I can find a link to something similar...

OK, it's similar to this:

I think they also sell them at bedding stores like Sleepy's.

IKEA also has something similar, SKYDDA HOGT, for $14.99 for a twin. It's terrycloth top and a non-crinkly waterproof lining.

sewarsh
03-25-2010, 09:46 AM
we paid about $600 after ship for a Queen. my DH thought it was a bit much for 3 YO, but i figured she'd have it for YEARS plus it could serve as guest bed if ever necessary since its a queen.

creativelightbulb
03-25-2010, 09:47 AM
last year I paid around $400 for a twin set...

in hind sight I should have paid more or at least selected a different - more firm - set...

I was trying to match a set I already had...I looked at the brand and model name of the existing set and went in and bought what I thought was the current equivalent...

I was a bit surprised at how much it cost...I didn't remember paying that for the first set...

only to get it home and -side by side- the new set isn't nearly as firm as the old set even though they have the same model name hmmmmmmmmm

another question...

do you all have headboards on your DC's beds? I had the twin beds set up without headboards for the past two years...

I recently ordered my crib and two matching headboards to go in the same room...my mom didn't understand why I ordered the headboards NOW after so long but it really bothered me that there were no headboards in that room all this time...just curious about what others are doing...

boolady
03-25-2010, 09:53 AM
But we got only a mattress, not a box spring, and her bed is on slats. I didn't want it to be that high.

Are you happy with your decision to go box spring-less? We need to buy DD's mattress, and her bed is the convertible type with slats. My best friend mentioned that after buying her son a box spring and mattress for the slat-style bed, she wishes she hadn't bought the box spring because it's so high and she doesn't think they needed it. Do you think just the mattress will be enough support for your DD for the long term? DD's 3.5 y/o and about 36 lbs., so I know it's enough for her now, but just wondered how it's working out for your DD.

creativelightbulb
03-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Are you happy with your decision to go box spring-less? We need to buy DD's mattress, and her bed is the convertible type with slats. My best friend mentioned that after buying her son a box spring and mattress for the slat-style bed, she wishes she hadn't bought the box spring because it's so high and she doesn't think they needed it. Do you think just the mattress will be enough support for your DD for the long term? DD's 3.5 y/o and about 36 lbs., so I know it's enough for her now, but just wondered how it's working out for your DD.

it might be ok for a child...but I had a platform bed with slats and I definitely missed the box spring support after a few weeks...

I ended up buying a box spring made specifically for slat style platform beds...it is about half as high as a traditional boxspring...that way I didn't compromise the profile of the low bed but still had the support I missed....you might consider it

egoldber
03-25-2010, 09:58 AM
Well, we actually don't have a box spring for our bed either and never have. :) It's a European style slat bed. Neither of us are tall and have no desire for a tall bed.

The only "downside" I see is that most advertised deals are for sets. So if you're not buying a set, then you're not eligible for most of the deals. It's still cheaper though.

So no, I've never regretted not getting her a box spring.

infomama
03-25-2010, 10:00 AM
Less than $300 and it's really comfortable.

MelissaTC
03-25-2010, 10:02 AM
We paid $100 for a Bassett furniture eurotop twin at BJ's several years ago. He has a low loft bed with slats so a box spring was not necessary. His mattress is actually quite nice and well made. We feel like we got a fantastic deal. Ultimately, we want to purchase him a new bedroom set and that will include a full size bed and a new mattress at that point. I imagine we will probably get him a latex mattress like we have.