PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had a breast biopsy?

tmarie
03-24-2010, 01:05 PM
completely freaking out. they found two small spots they want to biopsy. any positive stories?

tmarie

Globetrotter
03-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Yes, and it was normal.

Take a deep breath and repeat after me:

MOST breast biopsies come back negative.

Seriously, the odds are on your side, but I know it is hard nevertheless. :hug:

citymama
03-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Yes, and mine was normal as well. That was one of the toughest weeks of my life though. Breathe deeply, try and gets lots of rest, and remember that this is going to be OK. All the best.

almostamom
03-24-2010, 01:24 PM
Another positive over here as well. I had 3 different tests done over a few weeks last fall and at each one they said, "Oh, 95% of these come back fine, so don't worry" and each time I was in the 5% of the tests that didn't come back fine. Ultimately, we learned that everything was indeed just fine. Be your own advocate though. I was told we would "watch and wait". Umm, NO! I wasn't willing to wait 6 mos. I wanted answers right then! Best of luck to you, and please keep us posted.

Hugs,
Linda

tmarie
03-24-2010, 01:30 PM
Yes, and it was normal.

Take a deep breath and repeat after me:

MOST breast biopsies come back negative.

Seriously, the odds are on your side, but I know it is hard nevertheless. :hug:

thanks. i am going to try to keep repeating that to myself this week....glad yours turned out to be fine! i don't even have the stomach to google and look up the odds, so that was helpful to hear.

tmarie

tmarie
03-24-2010, 01:32 PM
That was one of the toughest weeks of my life though.

i'm so glad to hear someone else say this, because i feel like i'm going to fall apart. i almost feel like calling my internist and asking for something to get me through this anxiety. i am a worrier, so these situations are not my strong suit. thanks and so glad you're ok!
tmarie

tmarie
03-24-2010, 01:38 PM
Another positive over here as well. I had 3 different tests done over a few weeks last fall and at each one they said, "Oh, 95% of these come back fine, so don't worry" and each time I was in the 5% of the tests that didn't come back fine. Ultimately, we learned that everything was indeed just fine. Be your own advocate though. I was told we would "watch and wait". Umm, NO! I wasn't willing to wait 6 mos. I wanted answers right then! Best of luck to you, and please keep us posted.

Hugs,
Linda

you are so right about being own advocate! glad yours turned out ok after all that!

i'm a little concerned b/c they immediately scheduled the radiologist who did my u/s at the hospital to DO the biopsy. years ago i had a benign nodule in my thyroid biopsied, but we did it with a surgical oncologist, not a general radiologist. to make matters worse, i can't find any details anywhere on this doctor's training, expertise, etc...

Indianamom2
03-24-2010, 01:42 PM
No first-hand experience here, but my mom has BTDT a couple of times.

I just wanted to chime in and say that you will be in my thoughts and prayers. I know the waiting is really scary, but as others have said, the odds are in your favor.

:grouphug:

kali
03-24-2010, 01:55 PM
I had a needle biopsy done about 8 years ago. My mom had breast cancer a few years earlier so I was freaking out. It turned out to be a fibroadenoma (sp?) Very common and totally harmless.

I would not take the medical staff's speed in getting the next test scheduled/done as a sign of something terrible. Rather, I would look at it as evidence that they are efficient and professional and are well-prepared to treat you in the unlikely event that something is wrong. They probably also know that you are worried and want to get you answers ASAP.

There's no shame in asking your internist for something for the anxiety if it is really affecting your ability to function. The waiting IS scary.

MZS V
03-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Hugs and prayers to you, tmarie! I'll be thinking of you as you wait.

jse107
03-24-2010, 02:38 PM
I would not take the medical staff's speed in getting the next test scheduled/done as a sign of something terrible. Rather, I would look at it as evidence that they are efficient and professional and are well-prepared to treat you in the unlikely event that something is wrong. They probably also know that you are worried and want to get you answers ASAP.

There's no shame in asking your internist for something for the anxiety if it is really affecting your ability to function. The waiting IS scary.

We're all here thinking of you, so hang in there! Most do come back totally normal though it's good to get it checked out!

kali
03-24-2010, 02:48 PM
i'm a little concerned b/c they immediately scheduled the radiologist who did my u/s at the hospital to DO the biopsy. years ago i had a benign nodule in my thyroid biopsied, but we did it with a surgical oncologist, not a general radiologist. to make matters worse, i can't find any details anywhere on this doctor's training, expertise, etc...

I may have misunderstood your concern here. Are you worried about the skill of the Dr. performing the biopsy? The Dr. just needs to take a little sample of the mass to send to the lab, so you don't need a surgical oncologist for a biopsy. I would think that the quality of the lab is more important than the person doing the procedure.

I also wanted to add that even if against all odds it turns out to be cancerous, the odds are STILL overwhelmingly in your favor. Breast cancer has over a 90% survival rate when caught early! Not to mention that you have BBB mojo on your side.

Hang in there! :hug:

ThreeofUs
03-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Every.Single.Woman (over 50) in my family has had breast lump biopsies. They have all been fine - just a genetic predisposition to lumpiness, I guess.

Seriously, many deep breaths. Try to be calm. The overwhelming (last number I saw was 98%) majority of lumps are nada. And when they've found something in a mammogram vs feel test, the chance is even smaller.

I know that doesn't help a whole lot if you're a worrier (I am!), but it might provide something to hold on to.

P&PT coming your way.

Toba
03-24-2010, 03:04 PM
I also had a needle biopsy done about 2-1/2 to 3 years ago. I have panic disorder and all my doctors know to order an IV anti-anxiety med as soon as I get back there ... I was also on IV pain meds. I have very fibrous breasts (three doctors told me not to even bother with the self-check because there's so many lumps in there) and large (DD) and I was freaking out too. After the IV went in with the anti-anxiety and pain meds, I was still awake but really, really high. LOL They did another mammo on me to put the needle in and I was in so little pain and in such a good mood, that I was like, "Hey, I have another if you want to try again!" to the surgeon (who did the needle placement). They sent me home with pain meds, but it was really only slightly uncomfortable (and mine was deep and left a 3 inch scar on my breast). The worst part was waiting to hear the results. It turned out to be a "rogue lymph node" whatever the heck that means, but totally benign and nothing else to worry about. I'm supposed to get mammos done at least every year because every single female on my mother's side (including my mother) has had breast cancer ... my last one was about ... hmmm, five months ago, I want to say. Totally fine.

I know it's really stressful and it's easier said than done that it's probably nothing. But like previous posters have said, it usually IS nothing. You can always go my route and tell them you are extremely panicked and stressed and ask for IV anti-anxiety meds ... I swear I would happily lug a bag of that stuff (I don't even know the name of the drug ... I only take Xanax orally) around EVERYWHERE! LOL I've had numerous surgeries in the last five or six years (at the same hospital) and they always know that as soon as I go back there, they put my line in and then pump me full of the anti-anxiety stuff. It really works well ... especially during the 2 or 3 times that I was already in the middle of a panic attack while they were putting the line in.

tmarie
03-24-2010, 03:11 PM
I may have misunderstood your concern here. Are you worried about the skill of the Dr. performing the biopsy? The Dr. just needs to take a little sample of the mass to send to the lab, so you don't need a surgical oncologist for a biopsy. I would think that the quality of the lab is more important than the person doing the procedure.

I also wanted to add that even if against all odds it turns out to be cancerous, the odds are STILL overwhelmingly in your favor. Breast cancer has over a 90% survival rate when caught early! Not to mention that you have BBB mojo on your side.

Hang in there! :hug:

thank you. :) i AM worried about the skill of the dr. performing the biopsy. this is based on two things:
1) a few yrs ago we accidentally found some nodules in my thyroid during a typical CT scan for a sinus infection. my mom's internist in boston who we trust implicitly, was very firm that we go to a cancer surgeon at Mass General who specialized in thyroid cancer to perform the biopsy--he didn't trust a radiologist to do it--and i was in the midwest so i flew all the way to boston for the biopsy. i was told that getting someone extremely experienced is important in getting a 'quality' sampling. don't know if this is true--just told this by a physician we trust, who had had thryoid cancer himself.
2) this radiologist today said that i have two options: to do a tissue biopsy with her, OR to have it completely removed by a surgeon. i guess i'm just wondering if it would be wiser to see a surgeon who specializes in breast cancer and have them make that call, kwim? i am truly ignorant as to the level of training radiologists receive...i'm just trying to ramp up and educate myself so i make the right decision, that will give me the most peace of mind.

thanks again for all the support ladies...it really means the world. hugs back to you all.

tmarie

tmarie
03-24-2010, 03:18 PM
You can always go my route and tell them you are extremely panicked and stressed and ask for IV anti-anxiety meds ... I swear I would happily lug a bag of that stuff (I don't even know the name of the drug ... I only take Xanax orally) around EVERYWHERE! LOL I've had numerous surgeries in the last five or six years (at the same hospital) and they always know that as soon as I go back there, they put my line in and then pump me full of the anti-anxiety stuff. It really works well ... especially during the 2 or 3 times that I was already in the middle of a panic attack while they were putting the line in.

thank you so much for sharing your experience...seriously, these posts are really giving me more peace of mind and strength to get through this! omg, you sound like me about needing anti-anxiety meds for procedures. i think i will request it--i actually FAINTED during/right after the biopsy of my thyroid. :) i will definitely ask for iv meds--didn't even know that was an option!

tmarie
03-24-2010, 03:20 PM
[QUOTE=ThreeofUs;2671176] And when they've found something in a mammogram vs feel test, the chance is even smaller.QUOTE]

Wow. Thank you for sharing that beautiful statistic! :) Seriously, I'm not even googling this stuff because I'm afraid it will send me over the edge, so that is really encouraging. I really appreciate it!

tmarie

Globetrotter
03-24-2010, 03:53 PM
I am like you, and I have terrible anxiety over health issues, so I understand. It is awful :grouphug: and I've BTDT numerous times for myself and immediate family.

Just keep telling yourself the FACTS and try to focus on that. Make sure you don't have much downtime during that difficult waiting period and you are very wise to stay away from Google!! If you have a question, ask it here and one of us can look it up (I do that for friends as it's easier for someone else to look it up). YOu will get through this and odds are VERY high that it will turn out okay.

Also, one thing I have learned over years of dealing with my own anxiety - don't read anything into how they talk to you over the phone or how fast you get an appointment. They are just being really professional and that is a very GOOD sign of efficiency, or it's possible that there was a cancellation so they squeezed you in asap. It means nothing.

ETA: You are wise to seek professional help for your anxiety, if that's what it takes!

ThreeofUs
03-24-2010, 04:11 PM
Wow. Thank you for sharing that beautiful statistic! :) Seriously, I'm not even googling this stuff because I'm afraid it will send me over the edge, so that is really encouraging. I really appreciate it!

No problem!

Forgot to add: My strategy is keeping myself super-busy. Crafts with the kids, a newsletter to family, taking pix of the entire inside of the house for insurance purposes - anything to focus my mind elsewhere. Got something that needs to get done? Start now. :)

kali
03-24-2010, 04:12 PM
thank you. :) i AM worried about the skill of the dr. performing the biopsy. this is based on two things:
1) a few yrs ago we accidentally found some nodules in my thyroid during a typical CT scan for a sinus infection. my mom's internist in boston who we trust implicitly, was very firm that we go to a cancer surgeon at Mass General who specialized in thyroid cancer to perform the biopsy--he didn't trust a radiologist to do it--and i was in the midwest so i flew all the way to boston for the biopsy. i was told that getting someone extremely experienced is important in getting a 'quality' sampling. don't know if this is true--just told this by a physician we trust, who had had thryoid cancer himself.
2) this radiologist today said that i have two options: to do a tissue biopsy with her, OR to have it completely removed by a surgeon. i guess i'm just wondering if it would be wiser to see a surgeon who specializes in breast cancer and have them make that call, kwim? i am truly ignorant as to the level of training radiologists receive...i'm just trying to ramp up and educate myself so i make the right decision, that will give me the most peace of mind.

thanks again for all the support ladies...it really means the world. hugs back to you all.

tmarie

I'll tell you how the procedure went for me if that helps. She numbed the area and then did a sonogram to find the lump, then stuck a needle into the lump to take a sample, WHILE watching on the sonogram. So I could see why they would use a radiologist--they are highly trained in doing/reading scans and would be able to make sure they are getting a sample from the right spot. Also, I would think a breast lump would be easier to biopsy than a thyroid nodule.

All that said, the first thing I did was call my mom's breast surgeon to do my biopsy :p. Do what makes you comfortable! That goes for getting a prescription to take the edge off before/during the procedure, too.

tny915
03-24-2010, 04:22 PM
I had a surgical biopsy a few years back and it came out fine. Good for you for not googling. I caused myself a ton of unnecessary stress by spending too long reading random things on the internet. You don't any what-ifs from the internet to add to your own worries.

As to whether to go with the radiologist or a surgeon, I know nothing about the training of radiologists, but I'll just share my experience. I wasn't given a choice. For my lump I needed to have it surgically removed in order to get a biopsy. My surgeon was a breast surgeon, so she was very experienced and it made me feel so much better knowing the level of training that she had. I was still very stressed, but I didn't need to give a second thought to the medical professionals who were taking care of me.

Hang in there.

tmarie
03-24-2010, 05:15 PM
I'll tell you how the procedure went for me if that helps. She numbed the area and then did a sonogram to find the lump, then stuck a needle into the lump to take a sample, WHILE watching on the sonogram. So I could see why they would use a radiologist--they are highly trained in doing/reading scans and would be able to make sure they are getting a sample from the right spot. Also, I would think a breast lump would be easier to biopsy than a thyroid nodule.

All that said, the first thing I did was call my mom's breast surgeon to do my biopsy :p. Do what makes you comfortable! That goes for getting a prescription to take the edge off before/during the procedure, too.

thanks--that really helps. i think i am going to go with a surgeon, even though it will probably drag this thing out a week or two longer. knowing my paranoid little brain, i'll get a negative from the radiologist and then question whether it was right! :)

stefani
03-24-2010, 11:08 PM
I had a surgical biopsy a few years back and it came out fine. Good for you for not googling. I caused myself a ton of unnecessary stress by spending too long reading random things on the internet. You don't any what-ifs from the internet to add to your own worries.

As to whether to go with the radiologist or a surgeon, I know nothing about the training of radiologists, but I'll just share my experience. I wasn't given a choice. For my lump I needed to have it surgically removed in order to get a biopsy. My surgeon was a breast surgeon, so she was very experienced and it made me feel so much better knowing the level of training that she had. I was still very stressed, but I didn't need to give a second thought to the medical professionals who were taking care of me.

Hang in there.
:yeahthat: I had the same thing a few years ago. It was microcalcification, and it turned out benign.

Sending you BBB mojo to give you courage, calmness, peace, and no cancer!

lchang25000
03-24-2010, 11:33 PM
I had a needle biopsy done on a lump in my left breast when I was 8 weeks preggo with DS and everything turned out fine. The doctor said it was a benign cyst.