PDA

View Full Version : Is this ok? Asking realtor advice if not planning to buy/ sell

SnuggleBuggles
03-24-2010, 06:11 PM
We are pondering a few renovations and want to use our money, time and resources in a way that would be best for future resale. I have a casual friend that is a real estate agent. Would it be ok to ask him which project would be most valuable in our market or is that uncouth?

Beth

infomama
03-24-2010, 06:12 PM
I don't see a problem with it.

elektra
03-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Could you ask your own real estate agent?
I asked the agent who helped us buy our house a question a few weeks ago in regards to what she thought our home value was. She pulled some comps and did a little homework but it wasn't a huge favor. She was more than happy to help. I figured it was her way of helping out and putting her in a better position to earn our business if we were to ever sell our house.

codex57
03-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Most don't mind because, like Elektra said, it helps put them in a better position for you to remember them and use them when you finally are ready to sell or buy. Or you know people who need recommendations for agents.

SnuggleBuggles
03-24-2010, 07:11 PM
Thanks. I decided to send the email and told him that it would be totally fine to tell me that he wasn't comfortable with it. I am just conflicted about what to do...would love to do both. :)

eta- I didn't think much of our agent and it has been about 6 years since we were in touch with her.

Beth

khm
03-24-2010, 07:30 PM
I think it's ok to ask. But, if you ask three, you'll probably get three differing opinions! :)

Make sure that what YOU want and will enjoy is the most important thing, since you are thinking about moving soon.

arivecchi
03-24-2010, 08:47 PM
I don't think that is inappropriate at all if you have used the realtor or plan to use them. I hope your realtor is helpful!