PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions on play sets

DCMom
03-24-2010, 09:42 PM
I want to purchase a new playset soon. Does anyone have suggestions of particular brands? I'm looking for something that will survive the weather and continue to look good. Thanks!

KrisM
03-24-2010, 09:47 PM
Do you mean an outdoor swing set?

DCMom
03-24-2010, 09:53 PM
Yes...an outdoor swingset...have a big back yard

KrisM
03-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Well, we have a Rainbow. We bought it in 2006 and have stained it once and it's in good shape. I like that there is wide spacing between swings, a high swing beam so kids can swing when older, a large deck, and many things for kids to do. In the summer, it gets a lot of play by our 3 kids and a few neighbor kids.

It was more expensive than similar sets that are smaller. We decided to go with it because we figured we would get a good 10-12 years of use out of it (DD was weeks old and we were planning on a #3). Figuring it being used for a while, we wanted the features that work for both younger and older kids.

We don't regret it at all.

JaneW
03-25-2010, 09:41 AM
I want to purchase a new playset soon. Does anyone have suggestions of particular brands? I'm looking for something that will survive the weather and continue to look good. Thanks!

I saw your question last night but could not get a reply to be accepted.
We purchased a vinyl covered playset 4 years ago and reallly like it. It still looks new and have no worries about splinters. I couldn't remember the name and checked with DH and he said it was Swing Kingdom. I know it was made by Amish because the men who installed it were also Amish. We looked at all types of wood sets and talked to neighbors who had cedar. They said they had to restain every two years and they were concerned about stain getting on kids clothes. I can probably find the name of the company where we purchased it if you want.

Tondi G
03-25-2010, 12:34 PM
rainbow, cedar works

Costco sells a set usually made by rainbow... their lower end line called Sun Ray. I think it may be a different this year though Looks like this is the one that is in wherehouse this season.... usually the price is better in the store than you see on Costco.com

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11525099&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|111|4060|4062&N=4000203&Mo=10&pos=0&No=2&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4062&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC11007-Cat4060&topnav=

I like the looks of this one

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11526472&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|111|4060|4062&N=4000203&Mo=10&pos=0&No=6&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4062&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC11007-Cat4060&topnav=

Sams Club carries the Play Around by Cedar works. If you search you will see posts about these sets!

DCMom
03-25-2010, 02:47 PM
I saw your question last night but could not get a reply to be accepted.
We purchased a vinyl covered playset 4 years ago and reallly like it. It still looks new and have no worries about splinters. I couldn't remember the name and checked with DH and he said it was Swing Kingdom. I know it was made by Amish because the men who installed it were also Amish. We looked at all types of wood sets and talked to neighbors who had cedar. They said they had to restain every two years and they were concerned about stain getting on kids clothes. I can probably find the name of the company where we purchased it if you want.

Sounds like something I would be interested in. Would definately like to know who you purchased from. I just can't bring myself to spend alot of $$ on something that won't continue to look nice. My neighbor has cedar...her DH says it's too much work to stain it. She says the wood is cracking. They spent alot and now wish they had purchased something else. Vinyl sounds like a great solution.

Indianamom2
03-25-2010, 05:48 PM
I really like the idea of the Swing Kingdom vinyl swing/play sets.

We're getting rid of our pool and the deck around it to have more actual yard space, and I'd love to find a small (but LOW maintenance swing set). Those look awesome! But how expensive are the smaller sets compared to wood?

JaneW
03-28-2010, 01:24 PM
I really like the idea of the Swing Kingdom vinyl swing/play sets.

We're getting rid of our pool and the deck around it to have more actual yard space, and I'd love to find a small (but LOW maintenance swing set). Those look awesome! But how expensive are the smaller sets compared to wood?

Sorry about delay, finally had time to check site. It has been 4 years but DH said the vinyl playset was about 20% more than wood with the same features. For DCMom we did find the name of the company where we purchased it. It was CBG Outdoors, I did Google them and their web site came up, www.cbgoutdoors.com Hope this info is helpful.

DCMom
04-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Sorry about delay, finally had time to check site. It has been 4 years but DH said the vinyl playset was about 20% more than wood with the same features. For DCMom we did find the name of the company where we purchased it. It was CBG Outdoors, I did Google them and their web site came up, www.cbgoutdoors.com Hope this info is helpful.

Thanks for the help JaneW. Cbg outdoors prices were very reasonable...I just placed our order. I made the mistake of showing the kids what we're getting. They're very excited! Luckily it will be installed in 2 weeks!

army_mom
04-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Oh! The Swing Kingdom sets look so nice! My brother's family has a Rainbow and it does look very nice and they love it, but I know I would hate the staining part. I long to get a swingset like these for DD, but knowing we move every 2-3 years makes it almost not worth the cost. Does anyone know if they come apart for moving?

daniele_ut
04-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the help JaneW. Cbg outdoors prices were very reasonable...I just placed our order. I made the mistake of showing the kids what we're getting. They're very excited! Luckily it will be installed in 2 weeks!

Which set did you choose, and would you mind sharing the price? We are landscaping this summer and plan on preparing a spot for a play set. We had been considering the Costco Sunray set, but I like the idea of the lower maintenance of vinyl.

christiedavid3
04-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Wow, those Swing Kingdom sets look awesome!

JaneW
04-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Oh! The Swing Kingdom sets look so nice! My brother's family has a Rainbow and it does look very nice and they love it, but I know I would hate the staining part. I long to get a swingset like these for DD, but knowing we move every 2-3 years makes it almost not worth the cost. Does anyone know if they come apart for moving?

I ask DH :bighand:about moving the set. He remembers them telling him when we purchased our set that the company can transport the set for you if you move. I guess they would have a charge to do it. He also felt it would be possible to take it apart, ours has bolts and nuts that hold it together.

DCMom
04-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Which set did you choose, and would you mind sharing the price? We are landscaping this summer and plan on preparing a spot for a play set. We had been considering the Costco Sunray set, but I like the idea of the lower maintenance of vinyl.

We debated between the a-5 white tower and the sk-10 mountain climber. The a-5 (around $2000 installed) was closer to what we wanted to spend, but the mountain climber ($2900) had a couple extra activities. The kids really wanted a rock climbing wall so we went with the sk-10. They had a big special that brought the price way down. It's getting installed tomorrow. We...I mean the kids...are very excited :yay: