PDA

View Full Version : At what age did your child pick an activity and stick with it?

gordo
03-24-2010, 09:49 PM
DD1 will be 5 in May. We have been exposing her to a lot of different activities in hopes that she would find one she loved. We did soccer at an early age (3) and she didn't really like it. We did t-ball last summer and she didn't really like that either. She is now on her 3rd attempt at ballet/tap at her request. the first two times she took classes, she hated it and didn't participate. I was leery about signing her up for a 3rd time, but she begged so I agreed and she actually loves it now - goes willing and participates. She also took gymnastics for over a year which she always loved so I was surprised when this fall she chose dance over gymnastics.

Anyway - as spring/summer roll around I suggested soccer or t-ball again and she said no. So I told her we could continue with dance but now she is saying she wants gymnastics. I just don't know if I should keep letting her choose or just have her try and stick with one sport. What age did your child decide on one or two activities and stick with them?

SnuggleBuggles
03-24-2010, 09:54 PM
I'd let her keep trying new things. It;s the only way to really figure out what she likes, imo. Though, I guess, if she stuck with something longer the skills would grow. I wouldn't really worry about that at 4-5yo. My ds1 is a creature of habit so he has been wanting to do the same activities for a long time but some have fallen by the wayside. Gymnastics is the one that has stuck around.

Beth

HIU8
03-24-2010, 09:57 PM
DS is 5. He has tried karate--hated it. He tried soccer and he fell in love. He has taken soccer for over a year now and that is what he wants to continue. So, we will do year round soccer b/c DS just loves the sport.