PDA

View Full Version : (4 yo dd) random rash - any ideas?

fivi2
03-25-2010, 09:43 AM
Dd has a random rash on her arms and stomach - tiny bumps, not in clusters. No fever, seems to feel fine, no weird foods...? She fell at school the other day (sandy/rocky path) and had a scrape on her arm. I noticed a couple other little bumps on her arm near the scrape, and her teacher thought it was just related to the fall. Well, now there are lots of the little red bumps on both arms and tummy. They don't appear to itch...

I am off to google, but just wondering if anyone had any ideas?
TIA

infomama
03-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Has she been on antibiotics lately?

fivi2
03-25-2010, 09:56 AM
Nope - no meds of any kind!

This is really odd - nothing I can google looks remotely close. They really aren't even that red, mostly skin colored, a little red. They don't look like insect bites, no head or pus... Just tiny little bumps. And I think they started on her arms, which is unusual also...

I guess I'll be calling the ped later!

Thanks!

eta: they have been in the woods at school, but since they don't itch, I don't know what they could be a reaction to...

sariana
03-25-2010, 12:22 PM
It does sound like an allergy, but could it be a heat rash?

When I was little, I got into my mom's bath oil and spread it on my tummy. I thought it was "after-bath splash." I got a rash all over my tummy, and we thought it was because I put on something that was supposed to rinse off. Years later we found out I have a dermal allergy to wheat. I have to wonder if maybe that bath oil had wheat (or wheat germ) in it.

It can be nearly impossible to track down an allergy like this.

New dertergent (or new formulation)? Washer set on wrong water level, so clothes didn't rinse well (grasping here, but you never know)? She and a friend switched shirts and didn't tell you?

And yes, an allergic reaction to something that got into the scrape also is possible. I think rashes can start anywhere, so the fact that it started on her arms probably doesn't matter.

ETA: Also she may have shared food with someone and been exposed to a new food that caused an allergy. You just never know.

ewpmsw
03-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Forgive if I post this advice over and over - Could the rash be from scented/fragranced stuff like detergent, fabric softener or lotion? I've always had a reaction to those things that would really get started when I got warm and perspired in my clothes. Lots of small bumps scattered on arms, torso and waist where the clothing rubbed. Sometimes it took a few hours for the bumps to go away, sometimes just an hour or so. It wouldn't happen all the time, either.

fivi2
03-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! We use a huge tub of detergent from Costco, and we are on our second tub, so I don't think that is it... no new shampoos, hmm...

I have no idea what she could have gotten into at school, though!

Thanks!