PDA

View Full Version : How do you stay focused on house cleaning?

jess_g
03-25-2010, 10:35 AM
We have visitors comming today to evaluate my son for a program that I want him in. I am having the hardest time staying focused on cleaning up the house and I know I could do so much more with my time if I just stayed focused. The house is not that messy and that might be part of the problem, knowing where to clean up. Any tips on staying focused and not getting bored while cleaning?

Thanks,

Jessica.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-25-2010, 10:47 AM
re: not getting bored while cleaning, i would listen to music on my ipod. especially upbeat "workout" music. i would use my ipod for anything where i got bored...jogging, cleaning, etc. for me it really helps.

NewMom2007
03-25-2010, 10:50 AM
As difficult as it seems at times, I would also shut the computer down and resist the urge to just check up on this board and any other sites you visit. I find it can really derail my efforts to be focused!

On that note...I need to close the laptop.

Good luck!

TwinFoxes
03-25-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm not a great housekeeper (thank goodness for DH!) but listening to podcasts that I enjoy helps the time go faster for me. TV doesn't work, because I can't just listen, I have to look, and then I'm sitting down.

crl
03-25-2010, 11:54 AM
You really shouldn't ask me. Ok, music helps. And I also find it helps if I pick an area and stick with that area until it's done. Otherwise I wander all over and don't make much visible progress anywhere. My usual strategy is clean the bathrooms, clean the kitchen, then start at the front door and work my way to whatever room we're most likely to be spending the most time in (usually the living room). At that point, I'm usually out of time.

Catherine

Melaine
03-25-2010, 12:05 PM
I just signed up for MotivatedMoms.com. Granted, I haven't started using it, but I'm pretty excited. I've done some major, first-time ever, deep cleaning this year. Things we hadn't done since we moved in and some serious de-cluttering and donating. I'm feeling like there is a light at the end of the tunnel of dust and junk!
I think MM will help me because I've put some of the principles into effect over the last couple months and seen real improvement. I'm forcing myself to methodically do the daily chores, like always running the dishwasher each evening no matter what, emptying it in the morning while the coffee brews and loading each and every dish throughout the day. Also, taking things from room to room as I go has helped a bunch. I've gone through my cleaning supplies and really simplified/organized them also. I got a cleaning caddy, which I needed and also put a second cleaning product spot in my laundry room. My house is tiny, but I figured out that if I have a rag and some natural cleaner right there, I am more likely to take the time to wipe down the bathroom counters or whatever. And just about every day, I've been going through a cabinet, drawer, closet or box and just getting rid of stuff or organizing. I have gotten some great tips from this board, so you might want to look up some of the past threads. I bet if you look up "motivated moms" you will find a lot of them.

khalloc
03-25-2010, 12:08 PM
I have my DH do it.

But def dont come on here and post while you are trying to clean house! Thats a sure fire way to stop focusing!

Carrots
03-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Honestly, I put on an apron. It is a physical reminder that my purpose is to clean.... not check my email, see what is on TV, make a phone call, etc. I get easily distracted too.